PDA

View Full Version : Just after some advice

melco
19-07-2013, 01:52 PM
Hi,

Before I became a Childminder I did a course for a Teaching Assistant and helped out at my daughters school once a week as this was the career I was looking to have.

I applied for every teaching assistant job I could and all the replies I got back said I did not have enough experience. I had always thought about childminding as what I really wanted to do was work with children.

I have been childminding for over a year now and do enjoy it but always wonder whether to look into becoming a Teaching Assistant again. I know its something I would enjoy but worry about letting the parents down for the children I look after and for them to have to look for alternative childcare.

My questions are has anyone else gone from childminding to becoming a teaching assistant? If so did you pre warn the parents that you were looking so that they were prepared if you gave notice?

Also I am worried about the pay decrease as well so was thinking whether I could look to childmind a couple of days a week in the holidays just so I am earning extra money. Does anyone else just childmind over the holidays? If so how does this work with Ofsted inspections if you only look after children over 5.

Every evening I think about this so just want some other opinions before I speak to my Husband about it. I know I have missed out on applying for jobs for September but every week I get email with vacancies for Teaching Assistants and just dream of applying for them so just thinking about what to do about it.

Thanks in advance for any help I receive

melco

sing-low
19-07-2013, 04:02 PM
Hi. I don't have any direct experience of this but here's what I think, for what it's worth. I think you will always regret not trying being a TA so I would go for it. Childminding in the holidays sounds a great way to boost your income. A TA minding in the holidays would be a parent's dreams come true, you'll have them queuing up! I wouldn't mention it to current parents in advance. You are only obliged to give notice as per your contracts. You might lose children sooner than you would like- keep your business head on, you need to earn a living, especially with a future reduced income.
You say you haven't told your hubby. Do you think he won't be happy? Having your OH inboard always helps with career changes. Good luck!

jackie 7
19-07-2013, 04:10 PM
I have a friend who was s childminder and now is a ta. She loves it. Remember if the parents want to leave they won't think about you!

melco
19-07-2013, 04:42 PM
Thanks for your replies. I find that I dread the holidays as I have children ranging from 1yr to 9yrs old so don't find something that is for everyone. I feel that if I had children just 5 and over trips out would be so much easier, no buggies and as I don't drive would be able to get on the bus easier etc. I do think I am going to look into it and may start applying to see what happens. My husband worries about money and is unsure whether his job is safe at the moment so don't think telling him at the moment is the right thing. The worry I have not telling the parents is they are my friends. I look after 2 boys who are cousins and they are happy with me and the parents have known me 15years so would feel guilty giving them 1 months notice. They like the fact that when I am away they don't have to take a full week off and help each other out. I suppose could always help them find someone else. Decisions, decisions!!

What would happen with Ofsted. I would still be registered and would do scrap books for the children in the holidays so would still register with ICO and have contracts etc etc does anyone else do this and if so is it worth it to just childmind in the holidays?

The Juggler
19-07-2013, 04:52 PM
firstly no - don't tell the parents they will start looking 'in case'. You only have to give 1 months notice and usually schools will advertise for the next term so you will be able to give even more notice.

secondly, yes I know people who have gone from CM to TA if they already have your level 3 but usually in early years. Schools prefer the TA's in KS1 and 2 to have Level 3 in TA specifically. But you could always work towards this once employed.

I know TA's and teachers who CM after school and in the holidays but if you hate the holidays and being so busy hon, is that a good plan?

Good luck with it anyway xx

melco
19-07-2013, 05:25 PM
firstly no - don't tell the parents they will start looking 'in case'. You only have to give 1 months notice and usually schools will advertise for the next term so you will be able to give even more notice.

secondly, yes I know people who have gone from CM to TA if they already have your level 3 but usually in early years. Schools prefer the TA's in KS1 and 2 to have Level 3 in TA specifically. But you could always work towards this once employed.

I know TA's and teachers who CM after school and in the holidays but if you hate the holidays and being so busy hon, is that a good plan?

Good luck with it anyway xx

Its not that I am busy and hate the holidays its that as I don't drive and have 2 children I mind under the age of 2 with double buggy I can't get on a bus so we are stuck just staying local. I mind my cousins 2 children in the holidays who are the same age as my own 2 children and they are all girls so feel if I just had them we could do more that is for their age and could get on a bus to town if we wanted to and would not be just staying at home or trips to the park.

vikiwizz
19-07-2013, 06:16 PM
My sister in law does this. She was a childminder for 10 years and wanted to be a TA. She volunteered in a school whilst still childminding, any hours she was free.
She then got offered a TA job and have notice to parents.
She still childminds in the holidays for mullet of the parents she used to care for :)

Bumble Beez
19-07-2013, 07:56 PM
My friend went from full time childminding to a TA and the only negative that she's found is the drop in money...the positives however are endless apparently and I'm always being reminded how many weeks holiday she gets every year lol!!

Sarah x

The Juggler
20-07-2013, 08:42 AM
Its not that I am busy and hate the holidays its that as I don't drive and have 2 children I mind under the age of 2 with double buggy I can't get on a bus so we are stuck just staying local. I mind my cousins 2 children in the holidays who are the same age as my own 2 children and they are all girls so feel if I just had them we could do more that is for their age and could get on a bus to town if we wanted to and would not be just staying at home or trips to the park.

then TA and minding in the hols sounds like a plan :thumbsup:

madredann
20-07-2013, 09:03 AM
My sister in law does this. She was a childminder for 10 years and wanted to be a TA. She volunteered in a school whilst still childminding, any hours she was free.
She then got offered a TA job and have notice to parents.
She still childminds in the holidays for mullet of the parents she used to care for :)

Same really as what Vikiwizz said I was a childminder then TA then childminder. When I decided it was what I wanted to do I did as much in the school that I could PTA as I had children at the school, parent governor and voluntary work I think this all helped as they got to know me I waited a while till jobs were advertised when I applied and got the job I think it was in the July to start in the September so was able to give parents plenty of notice. They were supportive and when the time came found alternative care. I would say it would be great to offer wrap around care work in school and have children in holidays so yes you could do both BUT be careful about your tax as you may have to pay alot if doing 2 jobs x on the plus side you get some pay in the holidays and you get to pay into a pension scheme x