PDA

View Full Version : Nappies

Mrsh3103
19-07-2013, 11:27 AM
How often do you all change nappies? I have just received a really mood email from a parent asking me to change mindees bum more often.
Lo arrives at 9-9.15
Change bums & 10ish
Change bums just before lunch 12ish
Lo naps from 12.30-2ish
Change bum
Lo goes home 3.30.
Obviously in this time if he's done a poo or nappy looks/ feels heavy I'd do another change.
Really can't see where else I could fit one

Chimps Childminding
19-07-2013, 11:34 AM
I would have thought that was more than adequate!!! Nappies are so good these days, does mum get up in the middle of the night to change lo??? I probably change 2/3 times a day depending on how long lo is with me, how much they have drunk, how many times they have pooed (how do you spell it :rolleyes:) etc.

supermumy
19-07-2013, 11:35 AM
I change when and if needed

supermumy
19-07-2013, 11:36 AM
I change when and if needed

Change as many times you can and keep asking for more nappies when mum moans just say I'm changing him more haha

FussyElmo
19-07-2013, 11:44 AM
I change as and when its required :thumbsup:

beerheaven
19-07-2013, 11:50 AM
Changing pattern similar to mine. Obviously change more often if needed. Can't really see her problem.

Is there a reason why she feels more frequent nappy changes appropriate?

smurfette
19-07-2013, 11:51 AM
My little ones mostly don't arrive Til 9/930 and they aren't up long.. I change them in the morning if they poo,
Otherwise I change before nap at about 12 and then mid afternoon before home .. Unless they seem very wet when up. So mostly 2/3 times a day

Mrsh3103
19-07-2013, 11:54 AM
He had nappy rash last week & I asked her to just sign to say she's happy for me to use sudo cream on it.
This email was basically saying that if I was to change lo more the nappy rash wouldn't have happened & there would have been no need for her to be late for work because I made her sign a form.
I text her saying ill have a form for you to sign to say its ok, literally took seconds to scribble her signature.
Bearing in mind I don't have lo on Fridays or Mondays & rash came up on Saturday.
My fault?????

AliceK
19-07-2013, 11:59 AM
I usually change approx. every 3 hrs unless a LO has poo'ed then obviously I'll change it straight away.
Does mum know how often you are changing LO? If not I would be making a note for her then she can see you are changing LO more than adequately. I write on my LO's daily sheets when I change a nappy and what it was eg Wet / Soiled.

xxxx

Mrsh3103
19-07-2013, 12:03 PM
I make a note in daily diaries of time & type. I have no idea what more she wants me to do.

hectors house
19-07-2013, 12:15 PM
It may be the heat making him be a little dehydrated and making his wee stronger or teething maybe - I change nappies after lunch before naps - i often find if I get them down from table and leave them 10 mins they will do a poo then (if they haven't already done one in morning) - so you are changing more often than I do. I have several who go at 3.30 - unless they poo in afternoon they don't get changed before they go.

I would say to this parent that they MUST allow 5 mins in the morning to allow for adequate information exchange and to sign any necessary forms for permission to apply cream or give medicines.

skatie
19-07-2013, 12:16 PM
I think that's more than adequate, seems average to change LO 2/3 times a day and whenever they poo. As others have suggested go excessive.... Perhaps ask her how many times a day she changes LO and go with that. Mother sounds a bit pedantic and feels the need to show some control. Xx

Mrsh3103
19-07-2013, 12:44 PM
Ok so I've sent her an email basically asking how many times she wants me to change lo, how many times she does it when he's not with me. I've also said that I'm sorry if signing the form made you late for work but this was something that had to be done for your sons sake & I always try & give as much notice as possible that I have something parents need to sign (I text her the night before)

Koala
19-07-2013, 01:06 PM
Oh luvvy, I feel for you, but didn't you know, it's always your fault!! :D

Don't take it to heart, ive had parents say allsorts from:
Don't put too much bum cream on one day to you havn't put enough on another day.
lo leeked last night when we got home, he fell asleep in the car and when he woke up he had leeked in the car seat - my fault!

Sometimes you just can't win but well done for asking what she does and how exactly she would like you to procede, maybe this will make her think, but probably not. :laughing: :laughing:

LilyB7
19-07-2013, 01:11 PM
Ours get changed as and when needed too, but always go home in a fresh nappy.

wendywu
19-07-2013, 01:33 PM
I change about 4 times a day and more often if needed, but i always change them just before they go home :)

Supernanny86
19-07-2013, 02:06 PM
Ours get changed as and when needed too, but always go home in a fresh nappy.

Exactly what I do! :) thought everyone done the same. 4 changes in 7hours seems more than adequate to me :)

rickysmiths
19-07-2013, 02:29 PM
Ok so I've sent her an email basically asking how many times she wants me to change lo, how many times she does it when he's not with me. I've also said that I'm sorry if signing the form made you late for work but this was something that had to be done for your sons sake & I always try & give as much notice as possible that I have something parents need to sign (I text her the night before)

I have the application of bum cream included on my general permissions forms that a parent signs when they join me.

She needs to leave a bit of tiem though because she would have to sign a meds form if you had o give her child medication.

I would write her a letter saying you are sorry lo has had Nappy Rash but that there are causes other than not changing a nappy regularly enough. My dd got terrible nappy rash when she started having Fromage Frais, took us a while to work out what it was! Also have the parents changed the brand of nappies they are using? Has lo had something new to eat? Have they been having more fruit or juice than they normally would because of the hot weather? Has it happened because of the extraordinarily hot weather and the lo has just got very hot maybe overnight in his nappy?

I would tell her when you normally change nappies and ask her if this is not ok for her would she mind detailing in writing to you what she would prefer. I would also check that the bum cream you use is ok for her or would she like to provide a different brand for you to use.

Writing is a bit more professional, it also shows to the mum and Ofsted that you are doing everything you can to resolve the issue as in a way Mum has made a complaint.

Parents get very funny ideas about nappy rash and need reassurance that it can happen at any time for apparently no reason and it most certainly is not always due to lack of nappy changes. I have siblings at present, the older one never had nappy rash but the younger one who was 8 month in Jan when they started with me nearly always has it. It seems to get worse when teething but not always and it just comes and goes. Mum and I have not dramatically changed routines, nappies or food, it is just one of those things and when lo gets it we just load on the cream for a few days!

jackie 7
19-07-2013, 03:56 PM
I never thought to get to sign for nappy cream. Will write one tonight. I had a boy who had a glass bottom. Mum blamed it on wipes and wanted me to use water. It was the very dented Italian wipes. I used Vaseline when he came. After that never a problem.