PDA

View Full Version : Desparate Advice Needed

lorraineandmia
19-07-2013, 11:04 AM
Hi

I would appreciate some feedback from people on here please as I have gotten myself into a right old pickle. I realise some of you will maybe shoot me down for what I am about to say but I can only be honest and want to rectify the situation.

Okay. I have been a registered childminder since 2009. Throughout I have found myself reasonably busy. At the present time though I have no mindees.

Here's the thing. Paperwork. I basically have fallen hugely behind with it ALL and have done none for a considerable amount of time. This is entirely my fault and now I regret it. The main reason for this was at one time I was going to give it all up and chucked some paperwork (silly but I did) and had no desire to sit and shuffle paper. The children I looked after though were always happy and the parents very complimentary on my services.

Here I am, May was inspection time but from what I have heard they are running behind??

I feel like I have taken it for granted and really wish I had kept on top of things. But I haven't so ..............

I feel like I want to start from scratch. Can I start again? How do I do this? Do I go through the registration process again?

I need to keep working somehow to bring in some money for me and my little girl :-(

Very confused. very worried lady

amylouise867
19-07-2013, 11:15 AM
Can you contact you LA for some support??

They are always on the end of the phone.

I'm sure you're not alone in falling behind with your paperwork as I have read several ofsted inspections where it was noted that paperwork wasn't kept as up to date as it should be.

I'm sure your LA will come out and help and support you putting into place the relevant things.

Don't get stressed but learn from this once your set up again....

Hope this helps :) x

amylouise867
19-07-2013, 11:16 AM
Also if you have no children they will not come out and inspect you so if you get a call you need to explain you currently have no children.

It is then up to you to notify them as soon as you get anyone on board and then try will arrange an inspection.

Amy :) x

amylouise867
19-07-2013, 11:17 AM
Sorry that should have read
* and then THEY will arrange an inspection

(my phone keeps changing the words automatically - gets annoying!!) lol x

Mrsh3103
19-07-2013, 11:18 AM
Did I read right that you have no mindees at the moment?
If that's the case I think you're worrying far too much! If you haven't got the kids how can you do the paperwork? Spend this time getting things together for when a new mindee comes along. Chill out & stop worrying, you'll be fine x

Mrsh3103
19-07-2013, 11:22 AM
The way I understand it you will still get an inspection if you are due one. There's some really good information in free downloads.

lorraineandmia
19-07-2013, 11:25 AM
Hi, sorry my L.A??

You see there was a lady who used to be in contact but she left her position and Ive never heard of anybody since.

lorraineandmia
19-07-2013, 11:28 AM
I was concerned that if I contacted a support person for some help, they might tell Ofsted and ill get completely shut down?

As I say I used to have a lovely lady contact me regular, but then she left her post and nothing since

lorraineandmia
19-07-2013, 11:29 AM
Is there a list anywhere that I can follow as to the exact paperwork I need to have in place now. As I say, I'm completely out of touch

FussyElmo
19-07-2013, 11:32 AM
Ok you have no mindees at the minute so start with the basics. I don't know how far behind you are so forgive me if I have gone back too far.

You need a copy of the new eyfs can be downloaded.
Polices and procedures have you still got them. If yes you need to amend your safeguarding or create a separate one for mobile phone usage.

Risk assesments same as they were before - they don't need to be written but you will have to be able to explain them to an inspector.

Learning journeys Ofsted now are looking about how while you know the development and progress of the children.

Planning again as the ljs you need to be able to understand why you are doing an activity and being able to evaluate it is gootoo.

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/eyfs-general/28800-ideas-your-policies-procedures-updated-01-2013-a.html

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/risk-assessments/117192-risk-assessments-eyfs-2012-a.html

Remember there is no where that states it has to be written down but it helpful if you are not able to explain what you are doing :thumbsup:

And remember we are here to help not to judge - so ask and someone will try to help :D

FussyElmo
19-07-2013, 11:36 AM
Oh yes don't forget your first aid if it has run out make sure you renew it before taking any mindees on.

Have you still got your public liability? - you do need it even if you are not working.

Las are local authoritys but a lot have done away with support people but don't worry you have this forum and between our members we know everything you need to :thumbsup:

TooEarlyForGin?
19-07-2013, 11:36 AM
Also ensure your first aid and insurance are up to date as this could be a more serious issue than just being behind on general paperwork.

bunyip
19-07-2013, 11:38 AM
If you have no children at present then that's a load of paperwork you need not worry over. Ofsted will only be interested in current mindees, so you'd be wasting your time if you tried to catch up retrospectively with former mindees' LJs, etc. IYSWIM.

Get up to speed with the new 2012 edition of EYFS, then do your necessary policies, RA's and any working paperwork you need to use. Your local LA or early years team should give support and guidance together with pacey/NCMA. :)

You don't need to re-register unless you've allowed your registration to lapse.

Don't panic.

lorraineandmia
19-07-2013, 12:01 PM
Thanks very much guys. Bunyip, when you say Ofsted wont be interested in previous mindees. Surely they will want to look back over the paperwork from previous years or ask where it is? No??

If you have no children at present then that's a load of paperwork you need not worry over. Ofsted will only be interested in current mindees, so you'd be wasting your time if you tried to catch up retrospectively with former mindees' LJs, etc. IYSWIM.

Get up to speed with the new 2012 edition of EYFS, then do your necessary policies, RA's and any working paperwork you need to use. Your local LA or early years team should give support and guidance together with pacey/NCMA. :)

You don't need to re-register unless you've allowed your registration to lapse.

Don't panic.

Mrsh3103
19-07-2013, 12:34 PM
They might ask what you've kept etc as we've got to keep things like accident forms for 21 years. Things like lj's for previous mindees won't be relevant as you don't have that child anymore.

I really think you should take a deep breath, put the kettle on & start from the beginning. Good advise has already been given, check all your policies are up to date etc. do one thing at a time & you'll get there, probably a lot sooner than you think :) :)

hectors house
19-07-2013, 12:35 PM
Thanks very much guys. Bunyip, when you say Ofsted wont be interested in previous mindees. Surely they will want to look back over the paperwork from previous years or ask where it is? No??

No, they only want to see paperwork for children attending on the day of the inspection. So get your policies up to date in line with revised EYFS, make sure your first aid & child protection training is up to date - look in free downloads for useful paperwork which you can manage to stay on top of when you get some more mindees. Use this time to get your accounts up to date and submit your tax return too. And start advertising everywhere!

Mrsh3103
19-07-2013, 12:35 PM
Lj's normally get given to the child when the leave so you wouldn't have it anyway :)

Kiddleywinks
19-07-2013, 12:36 PM
Surely they will want to look back over the paperwork from previous years or ask where it is? No??

What paperwork are you thinking of?

Child development stuff and Learning journeys are only relevant to children in your care of which you have none - LJ's going with parent when child leaves anyway :thumbsup:
Contracts, permission forms, and other legal stuff as far as I'm aware is nothing to do with Ofsted anyhoo :thumbsup:
(Although you do need to keep them for insurance purposes)

Policies and procedures and risk assessments you should have in place already which they probably will want to see, so I'd concentrate on the revised EYFS to bring them up to date.
Make sure you have a system in place for paperwork to be completed when you do get more children, and lesson learnt, set aside some time to keep on top of it for the future :thumbsup:

rickysmiths
19-07-2013, 02:45 PM
What paperwork are you thinking of?

Child development stuff and Learning journeys are only relevant to children in your care of which you have none - LJ's going with parent when child leaves anyway :thumbsup:
Contracts, permission forms, and other legal stuff as far as I'm aware is nothing to do with Ofsted anyhoo :thumbsup:
(Although you do need to keep them for insurance purposes)

Policies and procedures and risk assessments you should have in place already which they probably will want to see, so I'd concentrate on the revised EYFS to bring them up to date.
Make sure you have a system in place for paperwork to be completed when you do get more children, and lesson learnt, set aside some time to keep on top of it for the future :thumbsup:

Ofsted have no right to see contracts or any financial stuff. However they do have a right to see all permission forms and they will want to see that you have a current address and emergency contact details for every child in your care and any medical details including allergies etc.

VeggieSausage
19-07-2013, 02:55 PM
If you have no mindees then if they phone say this and delay inspection. Good advise already given, my advice would be do one thing at a time properly and then move onto the next thing. I would say if you have no paediatric first aid or public liability then this is first, download new EYFS or send off for a pack.....there isnt much to do if you have no mindees.....

jackie 7
19-07-2013, 04:07 PM
Relax. Make a list of what you need to do. Then tick everything off as you do it.