PDA

View Full Version : EYFS or ECM?? Ahh!

butterfly
09-07-2008, 11:59 AM
Ok I'm getting confused now! I want to split my portfolio and my pc files but I don't know whether to use the 5 ECM outcomes or the EYFS components.
What do you think Ofsted will prefer??

foxy lady
09-07-2008, 12:01 PM
i think you should use eyfs
its less than 2 months away now before it starts

sarah707
09-07-2008, 12:23 PM
I have been trying to work out the answer to this. My current answer is ... I am waiting and seeing.

The new document, posted yesterday, 'Are you ready for your inspection?' states ...

What do inspectors look for when judging provision?

The central question which inspectors seek to answer is: what is it like for a child here? In doing so, they consider how well you and/or any staff or assistants deliver the EYFS; and how, as a result, children are helped to achieve the five Every Child Matters outcomes – a basic entitlement for all children.

This says clearly to me that Ofsted will be inspecting under the ECM outcomes as they are now.

Blowed if I'm making changes until someone clearly sets out exactly how and what I should be doing and everything I've got is set out to the ECM so that's how I'm going to leave it for now :D

butterfly
09-07-2008, 12:38 PM
i'm tempted to go for ecm as that is for chn up to 8 isn't it. eyfs would only cover 0-5s. i might base it round ecm and put links to eyfs.

butterfly
09-07-2008, 12:39 PM
for chn up to 8 isn't it.

sorry i meant 18!!

Tatia
10-07-2008, 08:31 AM
The thing is, ECM is a part of the government's 10 year plan for children. It is THE nationwide goal for all children and families. EYFS is really just a small part of achieving ECM. My policies are arranged by ECM but my obs and planning are the 6 learning goals of EYFS (I do not plan/observe for children over 5 - on paper anyway). I am wondering how to best document for each child how I am working towards ECM, if maybe a termly report stating how we worked towards it will help. I am planning to continue using strictly EYFS in my learning stories for each child under 5 but as a setting overall, I am now arranging my photo album/portfolio under ECM, showing photos, obs and work and such and clearly denoting which aspect of ECM it covers. Such as photos of our collection pot for the charities we support, participating in The Big Toddle, of healthy lunches and snacks, outdoor play, everything I'd normally photgraph but just with a specific heading in mind. This way every child in my setting will be included because I only actually have 2 who fall under EYFS and the other 8 do not.

Wow, I've really waffled on.:rolleyes: