PDA

View Full Version : Medicine not signed in!

kellyskidz!
18-07-2013, 02:04 PM
Mindee 1 yo has come in today with mum saying she's been 'a bit off it' she fetched in some cal pol in bag and had a million other things to give me, nappies, wipes, her spare top from yesterday etc.
Anyway in all the hussle and bustle she didn't sign medicine in, I'd filled in the bit about what medicine it was, reason, expiry date etc etc but its not signed by mum, was left on side in all the rush
Now baby's getting a little hot and bothered and off it, am I right in thinking I can't administer the medicine because mum hasn't signed?
Quick advice need please! Thanks xxxx

kellyskidz!
18-07-2013, 02:06 PM
Should add: her temp is 39, currently cooling her down with a wet sponge and have removed her clothing but is medicine a no go?

dette
18-07-2013, 02:08 PM
During my last OFSTED inspection we talked about what to do if LO became unwell (due to a cold etc)she told me that a text message from LO's parent giving permission and the dose required was as good as a signed piece of paper as it can only come from them so ring mam and ask for a text with instructions on

emma04
18-07-2013, 02:09 PM
Call mum and get verbal permission and then get her to sign on collection!
If I were you I'd be calling for parent to collect anyway!

kellyskidz!
18-07-2013, 02:09 PM
During my last OFSTED inspection we talked about what to do if LO became unwell (due to a cold etc)she told me that a text message from LO's parent giving permission and the dose required was as good as a signed piece of paper as it can only come from them so ring mam and ask for a text with instructions on

Oh fab thank you so much, will call mum now xxx

kellyskidz!
18-07-2013, 02:11 PM
Call mum and get verbal permission and then get her to sign on collection!
If I were you I'd be calling for parent to collect anyway!

She's ok in herself, I've not felt the need to call mum but when I ring to ask for medicine permission I'm going to say if there's no joy in next half an hour she's going to have to come and get her xx

emma04
18-07-2013, 02:19 PM
She's ok in herself, I've not felt the need to call mum but when I ring to ask for medicine permission I'm going to say if there's no joy in next half an hour she's going to have to come and get her xx

I don't administer anything unless its prescribed, so a child with a temperature would have to go home.
Please don't think I'm irresponsible (there are other ways of reducing a fever temporarily) but I have had so many parents send sick children to me, who they expect me to dose up on Calpol every 4hrs whilst they can sit at home (YES! At home!!!)
I put together a new policy and have stuck to it! I'm am now amazed at how many don't turn up poorly anymore! And I'm thankful that these little mites are at home where they should be!!!

kellyskidz!
18-07-2013, 02:53 PM
Well worked out fine, phoned mum and she answered and said I was just about to call I'm on my way to get her:thumbsup:
No need to have worried, but glad I know if I do need to give medicine I can phone nd get verbal permission for future, thanks guys xx

emma04
18-07-2013, 03:01 PM
Well worked out fine, phoned mum and she answered and said I was just about to call I'm on my way to get her:thumbsup:
No need to have worried, but glad I know if I do need to give medicine I can phone nd get verbal permission for future, thanks guys xx

Be sure to get her to sign on collection though x

kellyskidz!
18-07-2013, 03:03 PM
Be sure to get her to sign on collection though x

I didn't give her any, mum was 2 mins away and gave it herself when she came in :)

kellyskidz!
18-07-2013, 03:05 PM
Oh you mean if I do give it with only verbal permission? Will do! Although this has probably made me more aware of how much it needs signing in in the first place lol xx

emma04
18-07-2013, 03:12 PM
Oh you mean if I do give it with only verbal permission? Will do! Although this has probably made me more aware of how much it needs signing in in the first place lol xx

Sorry misread, didn't realise you'd not given it. But yes in future always have it written up after being given verbal permission and get parent to sign on collection.

oxfordshirecm
18-07-2013, 05:04 PM
How's the lo doing? So horrible when little ones get a temp especially in this heat x

kellyskidz!
18-07-2013, 09:02 PM
She's fine thanks for asking, mum text about 7pm to say she was settled for the night and she'll see how she is in the morning before bringing her in. Fingers crossed she's better xx