PDA

View Full Version : Thoughtless parent made my LO sick !!! ADVICE PLEASE

dette
18-07-2013, 01:51 PM
on Thursday one of my mindees "R" arrived,she didn't want to eat much at dinner time .later that afternoon her mam informed me that R had been sick during the night !!! she looked mortified when I told her that she should have kept her away for per my policies. I was quite shocked at her naivety as she is in her 40's and well educated
At the weekend one of the LO who was here on Thursday started to be sick so was excluded to return on Wednesday.On Tuesday my own 4yr old ,jonny ,was sick at school into his lunch box !! so was sent home.I had to phone all the parents to come and collect their LO's
Anyway my jonny was due back to school this morning so the children were all returning to me .THEN jonny was sick at half one this morning so messaged parents to say I was still not available .
The original sick child R is not due to come at all this week so is totally oblivious to the upset and upheaval that she has caused and as i'm away on holiday on Saturday (hopefully we wont all be ill as we have an 8 hr drive ahead of us )and wont see her for 2 weeks I decided to send an email to all my parents tonight .My only worry is that the parent of the excluded child will feel this is aimed at them when it is just aimed at the parent of R so I thought I would run it past you lot before I press send...any comments /additions will be gratefully received

Dear parents
As many of you know my Jonny has been sick this week causing me to close for 2 1/2 days so far.I would just like to thank you all for your understanding and support over these last few days. Many of you had to make alternative arrangements for their childrens care and some of you had to take time off work .Many of you have sent lovely messages and get well wishes for Jonny and they were very much appreciated.He appears to be much better today Thank you x
I would just like to take this opportunity to remind everyone about the 48 hr exclusion rule following vomiting/diarrhea.
As we have all found this week this is for everyones benefit as i cant provide a service when my own children catch a tummy bug.
Thanks once again and see you all after my holidays

emma04
18-07-2013, 01:55 PM
Sounds find to me and is exactly what I would do!

If parent says anything to you, I would just reiterate the fact that occasionally policies are not adhered to and therefore it is your duty to remind everyone!!!

Parent won't say a word anyway, cos they know what they should've done!!

AgentTink
18-07-2013, 02:11 PM
Sometimes when I want to get a message across that isnt being heard, I pretend to email/send a letter addressed to all parents, bystarting the letter Dear Parents, when in actual fact i only give it to one of them. This has worked for me so far :thumbsup:Its hard becuase you dont want the second set of parents with the sick child to think you are blaming them as i assume that they most probably dont know about the first child being sick.

Mouse
18-07-2013, 02:12 PM
I don't see any problem in sending the email. It sounds like a general reminder to all parents and something I have done in the past.

I would say though try not to blame it on R. Unless you have it medically checked, you have no way of knowing that's why your child was ill. It could just have easily come from someone at school.

Send your email, put it out of your mind and enjoy your holiday :clapping:

dette
18-07-2013, 02:17 PM
I don't see any problem in sending the email. It sounds like a general reminder to all parents and something I have done in the past.

I would say though try not to blame it on R. Unless you have it medically checked, you have no way of knowing that's why your child was ill. It could just have easily come from someone at school.

Send your email, put it out of your mind and enjoy your holiday :clapping:

this is very true but still quite a coincidence that 2 of the kids who came in contact with R were both sick within a few days ,especially when the other one is a 2yr mindee who isn't at school

smurfette
18-07-2013, 03:09 PM
Sometimes when I want to get a message across that isnt being heard, I pretend to email/send a letter addressed to all parents, bystarting the letter Dear Parents, when in actual fact i only give it to one of them. This has worked for me so far :thumbsup:Its hard becuase you dont want the second set of parents with the sick child to think you are blaming them as i assume that they most probably dont know about the first child being sick.

Yep I do this too!!

supermumy
18-07-2013, 03:28 PM
Bugs happen its no one fault you can easily get it sitting on a bus try not to focus blame :)
News letter sounds ok to me enjoy ur holiday :)

Kirstylob
18-07-2013, 03:30 PM
The email sounds fine. I sometimes think that the parents forget its not just their child we care for and their thoughtlessness affects more people they realise.

dette
18-07-2013, 03:37 PM
I've just sent it.I didn't send it too the parent of the second sick child so then they wont think its aimed at them.
Thanks for all your wise word of wisdom as always x

bindy
19-07-2013, 07:03 AM

I do exactly the same.

loocyloo
19-07-2013, 10:24 AM

Yep. ... I do this too ;-)

dette
19-07-2013, 01:05 PM
I've just a a text off R's mam saying she was mortified when she heard about Jonny (which I thought quite amusing because that was the exact words I used to describe her in my post )and she said she hopes everyone else stays well for hols,she said she has had it too so loads of sympathy for Jonny as she had felt awful .I think she might remember the 48hr rule next time !

LilyB7
19-07-2013, 01:18 PM
Some years ago we had a family do similar, but it was me that caught the tummy bug, and they had the audacity to say that since it was only me and their child on the Thursday Friday would I still have their daughter while I was washed out, weak and still vomiting quite violently!
We have included a clause in our contract which states that if they bring their child to us, knowingly ill, and we then contract the illness and are unable to work, we will still charge them their full fee!. This isn't because we want their money - but because we don't want their bugs and germs! Not had any chancres since this clause was included.