PDA

View Full Version : Buying alcohol when minding.

kellyskidz!
18-07-2013, 11:27 AM
Walking back from the soft play with my 3 mindees I spotted another local cm who I stopped to say hello to, since we're quite friendly
She had her 2 mindees with her and her daughter. She had 2 carrier bags over the pushchair handles so I asked 'been shopping' and she said 'yes, stocking up on booze and cigarettes for the BBQ tomorrow, cant believe ive got 2 bags full of cider and wine'
Carried on chatting and went our separate ways but it made me think, I know we obviously can't drink alcohol or smoke when we mind children but what about buying them? I know id wait until mindees had gone home if I wanted to buy wine but is it actually against any rules? Just a general wondering really?

bindy
18-07-2013, 11:32 AM
I don't think I would either, but I drink very little so have no need really. Would be interested to know though!

Mouse
18-07-2013, 11:33 AM
One local minder was picked up on the fact that she had alcohol on show in her home while she was minding. I don't know if this is a rule, or just a picky inspector.

Either way, I don't think I would take mindees out to stock up on alcohol & cigarettes, but that's just a personal opinion.

teacakepenguin
18-07-2013, 11:40 AM
I think it would be hard to justify a trip to the shop if all you were buying was alcohol/cigarettes. If however you were doing a bit more and you bought a bottle of wine as part of something then that's different IMO.

Interesting to hear what other people thought tho.
Jx

ziggy
18-07-2013, 11:40 AM
I love my glass of wine at the end of the day but dont think I would buy it while I had minded children with me.

when I first started minding I was told to keep alcohol in a locked cupboard, do Ofsted not say the same?

singingcactus
18-07-2013, 11:46 AM
No, i wouldn't buy it while minding. My husband can't buy it in uniform either. There are just some jobs where it is innappropriate to do certain things whilst working.

kellyskidz!
18-07-2013, 11:48 AM
That's what I'm thinking, is it frowned upon or actually against a rule? Is it down to our judgment, because obviously she thought it was ok to do that.
It puzzled me all the way home lol. I wouldn't have reported her because she wasn't drunk or anything, I just thought it'd be interesting to know. Like if you saw your favourite wine on offer at the supermarket and there was only one or two bottles left, would you be doing something illegal if you bought it.x

emma04
18-07-2013, 11:49 AM
I had my bottle of wine delivered the other day along with the rest of my shopping! Delivery driver said "bet you need that after looking after all those lot" pointing to 4 little faces, grinning and saying "hello shopping man!!"
I replied with "I need more than one mate!!!"
He replied back " I'd need a barrel!!"

Jeeze!!! I sometimes wonder what it'll be like someday, when we all turn in to childminder robots and no longer behave like a human being!!!

Wonder how the children would turn out??????

Abnormal and like something out if the Stepford films no doubt!

RIDICULOUS!

kellyskidz!
18-07-2013, 11:52 AM
I had my bottle of wine delivered the other day along with the rest of my shopping! Delivery driver said "bet you need that after looking after all those lot" pointing to 4 little faces, grinning and saying "hello shopping man!!"

Jeeze!!! I sometimes wonder what it'll be like someday, when we all turn in to childminder robots and no longer behave like a human being!!!

RIDICULOUS!

Woahhh! I didn't say anyone should be a robot?! I was asking a general question

clareelizabeth1
18-07-2013, 11:56 AM
I don't really drink so not much at my house anyway. We keep it out the way in the conservatory where we have a fridge dedicated to drink (all drink not just alcohol). Children don't have access to conservatory because we keep things like axes wood splitter and other tools in there. OFSTED do check that you don't have it on show.

I would buy alcohol with minded children as part of a shop I would not go on an alcohol run with them as it just looks bad.

Petshrinklj
18-07-2013, 11:58 AM
I wouldn't feel comfortable buying that whilst working. But I don't think I'd feel comfortable shopping whilst I was being paid to look after someone elses children either unless they were asleep or if I could justify it as part of learning (adding up, counting, writing lists.) Fair enough if its stuff for kiddies lunch or whatever but not a general shop.

skatie
18-07-2013, 12:00 PM
It's an interesting subject but a couple of weeks ago I popped into the shops to get bread, milk and fruit for the mindees but whilst I was there I saw that fruit cider on special offer and thought 'ooh, I really fancy that for tonight' so I bought it but did feel guilty at purchasing it whilst had mindees with me and wondered what a parent would think if they had seen me. But we are all just human, as long as we are responsible about it. My sons cm had a comment on her Ofsted report ( 3 yrs ago) saying that open bottles of alcohol were found in her kitchen, didn't put me off choosing her as she was amazing.

ziggy
18-07-2013, 12:02 PM

RIDICULOUS!

Must admit now I come to think about it I have had shopping delivered and wine was part of that and children here when it was delivered. But only place to buy drink in village is the off licence (neither of the grocery shops sell it) so I wouldnt take children in there. I have suggested to off licence owner he should do a home delivery for me at 5pm every day:laughing::laughing::laughing:

maisiemog
18-07-2013, 12:02 PM
I personally wouldn't buy it with mindees present and I try to avoid buying it with DD around although I have done before.

I also think I'm going to be one one of the ones told off for having it on show. We keep it on top of one of our kitchen cupboards. Even my DH needs a stool to reach it so I doubt any of the mindees could get to it!!

Samijanec
18-07-2013, 12:14 PM
I wouldn't buy it either and we have to have ours out of view totally, it's something that is checked during an inspection.. (Scotland)

Tazmin68
18-07-2013, 12:15 PM
Oh well I an naughty.
One morning a week I only have one mindee who is one and I do my weekly Iceland shop and it is then delivered in the evening when I have finished working and I do pick 2 fruit ciders. I hate supermarkets on saturdays as too.busy and taking my 10 year old with asperger's and adhd plus 6 year old. Parent is fine with it. It only takes about 15 minutes as they pack and deliver
Deb

emma04
18-07-2013, 12:22 PM
Woahhh! I didn't say anyone should be a robot?! I was asking a general question

Post was not directed at OP but at the situations we, as childminders, face more and more frequently!

I just get fed up with having to justify my every move or change my whole lifestyle in case it appears inappropriate to others.

I have a tattoo and worry about that
I go out drinking with friends locally and worry about that
I go to the gym straight after mindees leave and I worry about that (after receiving the comment "you clearly don't do enough in the day!" From a parent!! Joke but one that makes you feel like they meant it!)
I've got a suntan! And I worry about that (parents thinking I've lounged about in the sun all day!)
My dd has wild tantrums, I worry about that (what parents think!)

I won't go on!

smurfette
18-07-2013, 12:25 PM
I wouldn't buy it I don't think during the day. Have had a shop delivered though with a bottle of wine in it.. Maybe it feels different as its only me can see it?! I always have some in fridge need a glass after work most days!!

kellyskidz!
18-07-2013, 12:33 PM
Post was not directed at OP but at the situations we, as childminders, face more and more frequently!

I just get fed up with having to justify my every move or change my whole lifestyle in case it appears inappropriate to others.

I have a tattoo and worry about that
I go out drinking with friends locally and worry about that
I go to the gym straight after mindees leave and I worry about that (after receiving the comment "you clearly don't do enough in the day!" From a parent!! Joke but one that makes you feel like they meant it!)
I've got a suntan! And I worry about that (parents thinking I've lounged about in the sun all day!)
My dd has wild tantrums, I worry about that (what parents think!)

I won't go on!

I agree actually, because 2 years ago I would never have even thought about the fact that a cm had bought alcohol and cigarettes, but I think we get so mentally trained and hear such horror stories of minders being shut down that we do become ...almost paranoid?
Everything we do is questioned, and put up for scrutiny, sometimes rightly so and sometimes its a little much. My other cm friend almost split up with her partner after he swore loudly in their back garden one night with his friends, when no mindees were in and she was so scared the neighbours would hear and report her:panic:
As far as I can see form post what she was doing wasn't actually against any rule so it's her choice? I got invited to the BBQ shes having anyway so I'm hardly complaining that she's stocked up with booze:D:D
Just got me wondering x

kellib
18-07-2013, 12:46 PM
Maybe I'm too laid back but I wouldn't think twice about buying it when I had mindees with me, it's not like I'd open it straight away and down it!

eddie
18-07-2013, 12:52 PM
I personally wouldn't buy it whilst with mindees, especially cigarettes (if I smoked).

I got asked by Ofsted if there was any alcohol in the house at my last inspection - there was but it was in the garage. I remember being a little annoyed at the intrusion into every part of our lives.

starschildmind
18-07-2013, 12:53 PM
In my oppion i dont think its wrong but i think its 'good practice' not to buy it while having mindies

My children and i wear high visability jackets when we are out and i wouldnt buy alcohol when i have them on. Because i see it as 'good practice' not to. I make my dh get it on the way back from work.

I look at it as i wouldnt be happy if my child was in a cm care and she went and got alcohol. I wont have any alcohol on show while i am minding. Its locked in the shed..

amylouise867
18-07-2013, 12:57 PM
It's not personally something that I would do either but each to their own x

oxfordshirecm
18-07-2013, 01:06 PM
I certainly wouldn't buy it when minding- taking them shopping is a learning experience so going to buy alcohol is not exactly teaching them the right thing surely

cathtee
18-07-2013, 01:13 PM
I have bought a bottle on the odd friday when I have not shopped as its my friday night treat, and not really put much thought to it, I can't see a problem with it, nearly all of my mindees parents buy me a bottle at xmas and give it to me in front of children

Daftbat
18-07-2013, 01:18 PM
Alcohol should not be consumed or on show in cm premises is my understanding of the requirements. We had a BBQ at the weekend and had wine left over and had to find room in my cupboards for it....mind you it helps to prevent me from seeing it and having a drink more often than I should (in my own time of course)!

It does feel very intrusive at times having lots of things to consider but if we look at it from the parents point of view I wouldn't be happy to see alcohol on show in a cm home and certainly wouldn't like to think it had been bought on a shopping trip with mindees.

wendywu
18-07-2013, 01:22 PM
I dont drink full stop, my shopping gets delivered. But i i needed a bottle of sherry to add to a trifle say, it would not bother me nipping into a shop on route somewhere during my daily rourine and buying a bottle.

Cant be much of a BBQ the minder was having if she could carry all the booze needed in two plastic carrier bags on the handlebars of a buggy :laughing:

lozzy23
18-07-2013, 01:25 PM
I have bought a bottle on the odd friday when I have not shopped as its my friday night treat, and not really put much thought to it, I can't see a problem with it, nearly all of my mindees parents buy me a bottle at xmas and give it to me in front of children

I go to the local shop with my friend who is a CM, she will sometimes buy a bottle of wine or a packet of cigarettes with her shopping, I have never ever thought anything about it at all. I am teetotal and a non smoker so I don't need to:p

I hope I do not cause any embarrassment at school today as I have bought her a bottle of wine (not with mindees!) for her Birthday and will give it to her in the playground:blush:

rickysmiths
18-07-2013, 01:30 PM
If as I used to I was passing the shops on the way back from a school run or it was part of a bigger shop then no I wouldn't think twise about buying alcohol while I was working.

Once in the house Spirits are stored in a glass fronted cupboard locked in our living room, no longer used for minding apart from sleeping but it has been for 15 years of my minding. Wine is either in the fridge or on a rack in our Utility room which has an alarm on the door. Sometimes there is a stoppered bottle of wine next to my knives on my countertop which is used for cooking.

I have never been questioned by an inspector. I have risk assessed that it is out of reach and sight. If an inspector asked if I had alcohol in the house I wouldn't mind telling them and telling them how I keep it safe. I don't see it is a different to being asked where and how I may keep my medication.

Chatterbox Childcare
18-07-2013, 01:34 PM
I wouldn't make a trip for booze/cigs but if I was in the shop, saw it, needed it then I would buy it. I am not drinking it :)

Bumble Beez
18-07-2013, 01:36 PM
I got asked by Ofsted if there was any alcohol in the house at my last inspection - there was but it was in the garage. I remember being a little annoyed at the intrusion into every part of our lives.

I was once asked this on an inspection and my answer was...'yes lots, would you like some?' She laughed it off and I got a good grading but she was a lovely inspector and was on my wavelength :)

Sarah x

emma04
18-07-2013, 01:40 PM
I've never hidden my wine, ever!

Surely if we keep hiding things from children and protecting them from every sin imaginable, in future none of them will understand how to deal with life!!!

Oh! Look! a fresh cup of tea, never seen or been close enough to one of those, wonder what happens when I touch it.....OUCH!!!!........an appropriate sentence when spoken by a young child........will be slightly more worrying when teenagers start saying stuff like that!!!

Mrs O can fire me if she likes! But I'm a firm believer in relaxed learning, through day to day ventures which include appropriate and sometimes slightly less appropriate visions!
Scary masks
Scary people
Foul mouthed individuals out and about
Spiteful children with banshee mothers
Fagash Lil's outside shops and schools
Cans and bottles strewn around the park
Cigarette packets floating in the duck pond

The wine in my kitchen seems tame in comparison!

Nicola Carlyle
18-07-2013, 03:44 PM
Ok so I have a 7 bottle wine fridge in my kitchen. Ofsted NEVER mentioned it during pre reg inspection so to keep it hidden is news to me.

Samijanec
18-07-2013, 04:07 PM
I've no idea what ofsted think but CI are very certain about it not being on show. During my pre inspection I was told that it had to be out of site, ( mine was on top of the little wall cupboards so well out of reach) straight away she said it had to be moved and then at my first inspection when he asked to see the kitchen he looked around and then asked where any alcohol was stored. I showed him it hidden away and he said good. Not that I have much anyway, but it's got to be hidden..

Samijanec
18-07-2013, 04:08 PM
Sight not site, silly me.. I think the heat has frazzled my brain.. :(

mum2two
18-07-2013, 04:11 PM
Oh - i forgot that none of the parents EVER drink, so never have alcohol in view around the children.... :-/

I'm going to be in trouble on my next inspection then, as we had a new kitchen fitted in Feb - with the inclusion of a wine fridge - where I keep my wine!!! It's not open bottles - as they lie flat, and I buy from France where they are still all corked!

hectors house
18-07-2013, 04:13 PM
When I minded full time I would take the children shopping with me - I bought everything I needed and wanted to buy - just as their parents would if they took them shopping - I don't think they would ever not pick up a bottle of wine or pack of beer just because they had a child in their trolley. If I ever did take the children shopping again, I don't feel the need to explain everything that goes in my trolley!

The EYFS says in the Stat guidance what we are and are allowed to do - I feel that lots of things get made up by paranoid childminders who think too much about being perfect.

loocyloo
18-07-2013, 04:38 PM
I've never hidden my wine, ever!

Surely if we keep hiding things from children and protecting them from every sin imaginable, in future none of them will understand how to deal with life!!!

Oh! Look! a fresh cup of tea, never seen or been close enough to one of those, wonder what happens when I touch it.....OUCH!!!!........an appropriate sentence when spoken by a young child........will be slightly more worrying when teenagers start saying stuff like that!!!

Mrs O can fire me if she likes! But I'm a firm believer in relaxed learning, through day to day ventures which include appropriate and sometimes slightly less appropriate visions!
Scary masks
Scary people
Foul mouthed individuals out and about
Spiteful children with banshee mothers
Fagash Lil's outside shops and schools
Cans and bottles strewn around the park
Cigarette packets floating in the duck pond

The wine in my kitchen seems tame in comparison!

I agree! I had a bottle of pimms on the side. .. mindees all told me their respective mummies like pimms!

hectors house
18-07-2013, 04:44 PM
I agree! I had a bottle of pimms on the side. .. mindees all told me their respective mummies like pimms!

Surely that is first stages of reading "recognising labels and logos" it's in the Development Matters! So if you and their respective mummies had put the bottles out of sight, that observation would have been missed.:laughing:

emma04
18-07-2013, 04:51 PM

Well, two of my mindees, on separate occasions have pretended to drink wine (verbally mentioned) out of play wine glasses (at the local children's centre)

Firstly, it proves that they learn it from somewhere anyway!! Home, relatives, television etc! (I've never drank wine whilst working!)

Secondly, should we be carefully sifting through our role play equipment to ensure all play wine glasses are removed to eradicate any alcohol references during play!!! Lol

Anyone remember those sweetie cigarettes and then the ones that were made of chocolate covered in white paper!
I used to buy them on the way home from primary school!!

Guess what?? I'm not a 40 a day chain smoker as a result of eating them!!!

emma04
18-07-2013, 04:56 PM
Surely that is first stages of reading "recognising labels and logos" it's in the Development Matters! So if you and their respective mummies had put the bottles out of sight, that observation would have been missed.:laughing:

Ha ha ha!!!!

AD VO CAAT

"Mummy? Has advocat (advocaat) been made from a yellow cat?"

"Good imagination darling! but no, its an adult drink that appears at Christmas time!!"

Communication, literacy, emotion!

caz3007
18-07-2013, 05:11 PM
My mindie gets me glasses of wine and no way do I drink in front of her, and honestly don't drink much at all anyway unless out on the Razz :D I know her mummy likes her wine and she has bought me several bottles over the years and when it was my birthday last year she took me out and bought me some cocktails and at Christmas we had a meal and a bottle of wine each :D

But I only take her to the local shops and would feel awkward buying it although I have looked at the deals so can send hubby in on his way home. Surely its just normal in lots of homes though to have some around

KatieFS
18-07-2013, 05:16 PM
I thought visible alcohol was a no no. I thought was a safeguarding area, protecting the children from alcohol so having it visible normalises it.
So therefore buying it I thought was out if the question.

Maza
18-07-2013, 05:33 PM
We have a lot of alcohol on show in our kitchen display cabinets. No parents or Ofsted inspector has ever commented (they are in a high cupboard where the kids can't reach but seriously, we have a lot). I would happily justify it quite forcibly. Alcohol is not illegal and I am modelling being a responsible drinker - as in I don't drink at work and when I do drink it is all in moderation (well, usually). I don't drink and drive etc etc. I wouldn't feel comfortable buying it in front of a mindee, but I wouldn't feel comfortable doing any shopping not directly linked to them anyway.

oxfordshirecm
18-07-2013, 05:49 PM
I was once asked this on an inspection and my answer was...'yes lots, would you like some?' She laughed it off and I got a good grading but she was a lovely inspector and was on my wavelength :)

Sarah x

God can you imagine if your inspector had had a humour by pass? Lol

kellib
18-07-2013, 07:13 PM
I've no idea what ofsted think but CI are very certain about it not being on show. During my pre inspection I was told that it had to be out of site, ( mine was on top of the little wall cupboards so well out of reach) straight away she said it had to be moved and then at my first inspection when he asked to see the kitchen he looked around and then asked where any alcohol was stored. I showed him it hidden away and he said good. Not that I have much anyway, but it's got to be hidden..

No one ever mentioned it to me at my pre reg or my inspection.

Mine is either in the fridge or in a cupboard but was still never asked about it.

emma04
18-07-2013, 08:28 PM
I thought visible alcohol was a no no. I thought was a safeguarding area, protecting the children from alcohol so having it visible normalises it.

Sorry for sounding odd, but is drinking alcohol abnormal???
Maybe in some houses, but not in mine or any of my mindees! (I've visited and seen for myself!)

Protecting children from alcohol is a disaster waiting to happen! Teaching them about it when appropriate, avoiding its taboo and raising awareness of its potential dangers is more helpful!

Sorry If I offend, but I've had a small glass of red this evening!!

blue bear
18-07-2013, 08:35 PM
Three years ago on a safeguarding course the safeguarding officer told us children should never see alcohol when we are looking after them, we burst put laughing sure he was joking. He wasn't and was not amused :panic: we came back at him and said what about taking the children to the supermarket or local shop, were we to blind fold the children, what about pre schools that work out of working men's clubs etc. we thought it ridiculous he thought a wine rack up high with unopened bottles were harmful.
he came round to our way of thinking after considering what childminding is really about, real life, learning about safety from a secure and loving relationship where boundaries are secure and children learn real life skills that sets them onto life long learning and personal development.

Fully agree open bottles shouldn't be in reach as it only takes a minute for little ones to get upto mischief and explore but common sense should prevail.

No I wouldn't go on a booze run but see nothing wring with adding an odd bottle into a trolley with shopping, mine love shopping and have been known to come with lists from parents to buy bits for home.

Samijanec
18-07-2013, 09:05 PM
No one ever mentioned it to me at my pre reg or my inspection.

Mine is either in the fridge or in a cupboard but was still never asked about it.

Odd because I was both pre reg and inspection.. :/

sarah707
19-07-2013, 11:06 AM
I was pulled up for having wine on the top of my kitchen cupboards - about 3 inspections ago - so it's gone now.

We were both asked at our last inspection if we smoke or drink and where we store alcohol.

DD wanted to buy wine for her dad when she was with me and minded children - I let her use me for ID and she walked home with us - but I double bagged it and wasn't really happy. Just my perception of what is right when you are working with other peoples' children.

Like all things, it's down to the inspector and their pet subjects :D

hectors house
19-07-2013, 12:29 PM
I once went shopping with a vegetarian 3 year old mindee who said as I put sausages in the trolley "we don't eat piggies because they don't like it" However I still bought other meat - different people have different lifestyles.

If you had a child who for religious reasons didn't eat pork would you still put it in your trolley when shopping - of course you would, you just wouldn't make a fuss about it - just like the odd bottle of wine. I agree with the original post that it probably isn't acceptable to do a shopping trip if it was just for booze and fags though.

lizduncan72
19-07-2013, 12:51 PM
Odd because I was both pre reg and inspection.. :/

I've been registered for 9 years and its never been mentioned either pre-reg or on any of my inspections

nikki thomson
19-07-2013, 03:55 PM
I have bought a bottle of wine while minding, if I've been getting something nice for me and dh for tea, and with regards to ofsted asking me if I have alcohol in the house I would politely tell her to mind her own business. X

ziggy
19-07-2013, 04:29 PM
must only be northern ireland then where we have to keep it in locked cupboard.

Walked by village pub today, lots of holidays makers sitting outside with cool drinks, oh i wish lol:laughing::laughing:

Last child about to leave then i will have g&t to celebrate start of 2 weeks freedom:clapping::clapping:

can have bottles out all over house till 5th august lol lol:jump for joy::jump for joy::jump for joy:

smurfette
19-07-2013, 06:05 PM
must only be northern ireland then where we have to keep it in locked cupboard.

Walked by village pub today, lots of holidays makers sitting outside with cool drinks, oh i wish lol:laughing::laughing:

Last child about to leave then i will have g&t to celebrate start of 2 weeks freedom:clapping::clapping:

can have bottles out all over house till 5th august lol lol:jump for joy::jump for joy::jump for joy:

Have a great break!!

Maza
19-07-2013, 08:06 PM

But it IS normal! Okay, so not every one drinks. Do we also have to hide wine glasses and beer glasses too then?

emma04
19-07-2013, 08:24 PM
But it IS normal! Okay, so not every one drinks. Do we also have to hide wine glasses and beer glasses too then?

Of course it's flipping normal! What kind of child carers would we be if we sheltered children from anything that could pose as a health hazard!!
Too many paranoid people who think that the minute a child sees a bottle if wine, can of beer or packet of cigarettes, they will turn into a chain smoking alcoholic!!!

Lets get real for once! Many teenagers dabble in a bit of sly drinking and smoking and the majority Turn in to well rounded adults who understand the term 'moderation!!' Eventually!!
But the dabbling is not caused by viewing the odd wine bottle or cigarette packet! It's down to curiosity and peer pressure during teenage years and is something we've all succumbed to I'm sure!
It's educating them carefully and allowing them to learn through their own errors that will help them understand!! Some take one hangover, some take several!! But most get there in the end!
Protection is impossible and not practical!!!
Education and experience is more effective...... So next time your teenager has a hangover.....Hoover at 7am that morning, play A dance trance album at the same time (as loud as reasonable for your neighbours!) and cook a huge smelly fry up!!!
This is how they learn!!

smurfette
19-07-2013, 10:14 PM
Here is one of stocking up on the job (Garda are police in case it isn't obvious but sure it is from the car!)

http://her.ie/media/picture-sure-drop-in-for-a-pint-garda-car-spotted-in-kerry-with-a-couple-of-kegs-in-the-back-833310

bindy
19-07-2013, 10:34 PM
Very common in France to give children watered down wine(not saying we should, childminders, that is)and I guess we don't live in France but do they have the problems we do with drunken teenagers? Apparently we have the worst in Europe, again, along with education, under age pregnancy, anything else..... My daughter is going to a convent Lol!

Bumble Beez
20-07-2013, 06:04 AM
Emma04 you have made me chuckle this morning reading your post!!
My boys are all early risers, eldest being the worst and there were days that I was up at 4 in the morning which was pretty normal...I always said that when my eldest was old enough to want to sleep in I would clean and sing as loud as I could just to prove a point :)
A few weeks ago, he stayed up late with a friend here, friend went home and he went off to bed...we went up at 11 and he was still awake...so when I got up at 5 the next morning, I decided that his room needed a thorough clean lol!!
Eldest laying in bed, catching flies and snoring very loudly :D
Que. the curtains being thrown open, me singing and polishing, cleaning windows etc...he grumbled for a while and gave in and helped me in the end...he WILL learn lmao :laughing:

Sarah x

Jiorjiina
20-07-2013, 12:58 PM
I wouldn't do a full on booze run with the kids while I was working, but having said that, I did once meet one of my mindees and his mum on their way back from the shops, he was walking and his buggy was full of alcohol! It was just before christmas and they had loads of family en route. We had a good laugh about how it must have looked.

In the past I've also ordered several boxes of bottles of wine for another mindees parents and had them delivered to our house while I was working. Mindees parents were getting married, and since my mum works part time at a supermarket she gets the staff discount on top of any other promotions so they saved a lot of money on booze for their reception!

I don't really drink much, but I've had a bottle of Pimms out in the kitchen for the last couple of weeks, and so far none of the children have tried to drink it, turned into raging alcoholics, or tried to glass each other in the face so I think I might be OK!

I've also (shock, horror!) been to the pub a couple of times with mindees. The pub has a lovely outside play area and loads of space to run around, so we've meet some friends for lunch and once or twice lately stopped off for a cold drink and a shady sit down while walking the dog. Sometimes we have ice cream. None of the parents have ever had a problem (right now they're more jealous because they've been stuck in sweltering offices all day!)

Am I a terrible childminder?

sunview_cm
20-07-2013, 01:20 PM
I've been in a supermarket with mindees before buying bits for cooking etc and needed a bottle of wine for that evening but I didn't buy it. I went back out once i'd finished work. I don't think it's appropriate to do it while we are working!
X

ktdg85
20-07-2013, 01:26 PM
There are no rules to say you can't but I wouldn't personally, like others have said if its an offer you can't refuse on a trip out for something I probably would but a full on booze trip is a bit ott; the children she is minding have not learnt anything on that shopping experience.

cupcake22
20-07-2013, 01:27 PM
Sorry but what I buy when I am shopping makes no difference to the way I do my job. I have bought alcohol & had it delivered whilst working!

Cupcake22