PDA

View Full Version : Ohh dear :D

Samijanec
18-07-2013, 10:34 AM
I started looking after an almost three year old little girl three weeks ago, she is full time. 8.30 till 5.30 Monday to Friday.

Last night mum collected her and we were chatting as always when she made a comment about how all her friends were noticing that the little girls accent had change. I'm from northern England but live and work in Aberdeen. It seems that the little girl is developing quite a strong northern English accent (whoops) she was perfectly happy about it so not so bad I guess.

Has anyone else had this?

TooEarlyForGin?
18-07-2013, 10:39 AM
I'm from Leicester but live in Suffolk/Essex, I say bath and path, rather than barth and parth. While little ones are with me I notice they copy me, but when they start speaking to my older children or parents, soon revert to "normal". It's kind of cute, none of my parents mind at all.

Mouse
18-07-2013, 10:41 AM
Lo! I have had comments that I make the children sound posh!

One dad used to comment that everyone said how well spoken his son was. He told them it was down to me, not him and mum! This little boy was with me 5 days a week, so had more mid day meals with me than he did with his parents. At the weekend he always used to tell them it was lunch, not dinner!

Samijanec
18-07-2013, 10:44 AM
Lo! I have had comments that I make the children sound posh!

One dad used to comment that everyone said how well spoken his son was. He told them it was down to me, not him and mum! This little boy was with me 5 days a week, so had more mid day meals with me than he did with his parents. At the weekend he always used to tell them it was lunch, not dinner!

Yep it's lunch not dinner here as well. It just goes to show that we have much more of an input into the children than we ever thought we had.

JCrakers
18-07-2013, 10:46 AM
I used to work in London as a nanny and my first job was with an awful family. I had lots of problems with them and ended up walking out in an argument. Packed all my things in a bag and went..... :blush: Anyway, I'm from Derbyshire so I say Bath and Grass with an A :D

I was reading a story to the 4yr old and came to the word Rabbit Hutch and because I say it with a U she said

Excuse me? what did you just say?
I said Rabbit hUtch....
Oh, we dont say it like that here. I dont want my children talking like that. We say rabbit hAtch.

Cue me just staring at her and carried on with the story..... Moo Bag :angry:

Samijanec
18-07-2013, 10:49 AM
I used to work in London as a nanny and my first job was with an awful family. I had lots of problems with them and ended up walking out in an argument. Packed all my things in a bag and went..... :blush: Anyway, I'm from Derbyshire so I say Bath and Grass with an A :D

I was reading a story to the 4yr old and came to the word Rabbit Hutch and because I say it with a U she said

Excuse me? what did you just say?
I said Rabbit hUtch....
Oh, we dont say it like that here. I dont want my children talking like that. We say rabbit hAtch.

Cue me just staring at her and carried on with the story..... Moo Bag :angry:

Hatch? My hubby is from London and he says hutch...

Petshrinklj
18-07-2013, 12:03 PM
Lol love it. im from Yorkshire but living in Essex now. My daughter is two and spends most time with me she has a northern accent. My son has started school and has developed an Essex accent. So I have one northern kid and one southern lol. I'm trying not to correct how my son talks but it does irk me a bit.

Samijanec
18-07-2013, 12:08 PM
Lol love it. im from Yorkshire but living in Essex now. My daughter is two and spends most time with me she has a northern accent. My son has started school and has developed an Essex accent. So I have one northern kid and one southern lol. I'm trying not to correct how my son talks but it does irk me a bit.

I lived in Essex for a year when my now 16 yr old daughter was three, she picked up the accent so fast.
My three year old son was born in Aberdeen and his two years I worked and his daddy looked after him, he developed his daddies accent. Now daddy works and I am with him all day he's turned northern. He's about to start nursery in August, wonder what will happen then.. :D

Samijanec
18-07-2013, 12:09 PM
Meant to add, his daddy is from London.

clareelizabeth1
I have a lot of cockney in me and look after fenland children i find its not my accent but my sayings they pick up which can be quite funny.

skatie
I'm from thesouthern hemisphere and I say yo-ghurt instead of yog-hurt. My little girls that I look after say it my way, 'can we have a yo-gurt, we said it your way so you can understand us because you speak non-English' lol! I do speak English just a little differently.

little chickee
18-07-2013, 01:11 PM
I started looking after an almost three year old little girl three weeks ago, she is full time. 8.30 till 5.30 Monday to Friday.

Last night mum collected her and we were chatting as always when she made a comment about how all her friends were noticing that the little girls accent had change. I'm from northern England but live and work in Aberdeen. It seems that the little girl is developing quite a strong northern English accent (whoops) she was perfectly happy about it so not so bad I guess.

Has anyone else had this?

I have a similar situation to you. My parents were both from London, I was brought up in Somerset so have a accent thats a mix of both.
I now live ( have done for nearly 30 years) in North East Scotland - about 70 miles from you! and have the same issues. I say Lunch and Tea whereas most of my mindees say Dinner and Supper. Loads of other examples and it can all get a bit confusing!

lozzy23
18-07-2013, 01:42 PM
I was born and bred, up to 14yrs, in norf London and I remember moving to herts and being called common by other children at my new school.

One parent did say her daughter was beginning to drop her t's. Straight away I apologised and said I really try not to talk with my natural accent in front of the minded children. She did say she did not think it was me but had picked it up at playgroup. I could not help but feel guilty, it is a shame I know.

My family tease me relentlessly over the way I speak "normally", I actually find it hard to say some words like Wales, snail, ill, hill they come out like wows, sn-owl, eel and heel. I could never read the book snail on a whale.

Samijanec
18-07-2013, 02:36 PM
I was born and bred, up to 14yrs, in norf London and I remember moving to herts and being called common by other children at my new school.

One parent did say her daughter was beginning to drop her t's. Straight away I apologised and said I really try not to talk with my natural accent in front of the minded children. She did say she did not think it was me but had picked it up at playgroup. I could not help but feel guilty, it is a shame I know.

My family tease me relentlessly over the way I speak "normally", I actually find it hard to say some words like Wales, snail, ill, hill they come out like wows, sn-owl, eel and heel. I could never read the book snail on a whale.

Hehehe, I would pay good money to hear you read that book... :D

This mum didn't mind at all, infact she seemed quite chuffed about it? I don't think I sound particularly northern as such, not when I go back and hear a local accent again. Mine is certainly well and truly toned down. I guess I'm a miss fit now. :D I don't sound like I'm from any where specific now..

sarah707
18-07-2013, 04:55 PM
A little girl once went home saying 'plaster' - her mum was horrified - it's 'plaaaster' for their family.

She's just got an unconditional offer for Aberdeen Uni so I guess it didn't affect her life chances too badly :D

Samijanec
18-07-2013, 05:56 PM
A little girl once went home saying 'plaster' - her mum was horrified - it's 'plaaaster' for their family.

She's just got an unconditional offer for Aberdeen Uni so I guess it didn't affect her life chances too badly :D

Wow it certainly didn't Aberdeen uni is soooo hard to get into.
I know a girl that was denied Aberdeen uni but got into Oxford!!
Maybe it was because she said plaster! :D

oxfordshirecm
18-07-2013, 06:12 PM
I'm from London originally but live in the countryside - my mindees are only just starting to talk so can't wait to hear how they sound :)

Samijanec
18-07-2013, 06:16 PM
I'm from London originally but live in the countryside - my mindees are only just starting to talk so can't wait to hear how they sound :)

I guess we will have to revisit the issue in a year or so.. ;)