PDA

View Full Version : DfE Guidance for LAs is published

Simona
18-07-2013, 08:39 AM
Here is the Statutory Guidance for LAs for funding 2,3 and 4 year olds...no more excuses they do not have it!!!

http://media.education.gov.uk/assets/files/pdf/e/la%20role%20statutory%20guidance%20final.pdf

AgentTink
18-07-2013, 09:41 AM
Here is the Statutory Guidance for LAs for funding 2,3 and 4 year olds...no more excuses they do not have it!!!

http://media.education.gov.uk/assets/files/pdf/e/la%20role%20statutory%20guidance%20final.pdf

I have just sent a email to my Lead Early Years Officer in regards to the above document and More Affordable Childcare, asking them what this means for me as a childminder as these proposals are due to come into play September, and i am currently half way through being acreditated. I specifically asked if they will be following these guidance documents from September, as it is important that i have this answer. I also asked would they be preparing a briefing to let us all know what these changes mean to us, would they be offering training/support for how the funding works, what will the future support look like for childminders, and how will the local health visitor teams know i can offer this funding. Now it is just a waiting game.

Smiley
18-07-2013, 11:46 AM
Has anyone noticed this?
Section 9 gives local authorities the power to attach conditions when funding providers of childcare.

18-07-2013, 12:17 PM
Has anyone noticed this?
Section 9 gives local authorities the power to attach conditions when funding providers of childcare.

I saw that but I don't think it means that they can impose restrictions/ extra burden because that would be contradictory, it might be that this relates to fair provision for all children or to have to be on a list of providers? I can see that LAs might try to use this as a get out but I have shown this to a barrister (parent) and it doesn't mean they can ignore the Ofsted "sole judgement" bit or say you must complete training and paperwork because that would require them to carry out a separate assessment (to see if you had done it.)

I am waiting for my LA to get back to me.

Simona
18-07-2013, 08:48 PM
I have just sent a email to my Lead Early Years Officer in regards to the above document and More Affordable Childcare, asking them what this means for me as a childminder as these proposals are due to come into play September, and i am currently half way through being acreditated. I specifically asked if they will be following these guidance documents from September, as it is important that i have this answer. I also asked would they be preparing a briefing to let us all know what these changes mean to us, would they be offering training/support for how the funding works, what will the future support look like for childminders, and how will the local health visitor teams know i can offer this funding. Now it is just a waiting game.

Lets put aside More Affordable Childcare...the reforms will do nothing of the sort...childcare costs will soar
There is no mention of 'networks or accreditation' in the document as Ofsted will judge your competence being the 'sole arbitrer' of quality (dubious according to their performance) and your grade will determine whether you can draw the funding

LAs will continue to set their own rules ...I fear this and Truss has done nothing to curb them...time will tell
What will become of networks?...in my view LAs with strong networks will turn into agencies and that will be the end of it...either join or you are left out

Where there is no network cms will be left to fend for themselves and prove their worth to Ofsted

I hope cms will fight this tooth and nail

Simona
19-07-2013, 02:14 PM
Sitting by the pool this morning I went through this guidance...made it more bearable!!
There are many MUSTs that I thought were good but were immediately followed by SHOULDs...so I am a bit confused

Section 9 says LAs have the power to 'attach conditions'...so back to square one?
There is no mention of Networks or Accreditations..so what will the conditions be?
LAs should not undertake a separate assessment in addition to Ofsted 'sole judgement'

Section 13 is also obscure...LAs will refocus and have a duty to provide info, advice and training...isn't that what they have been doing all along but sporadically?
I thought that duty in future was only for satisfactory/inadequate cms? or maybe it means they can provide it at a cost?

Quality on page 5 is not that clear to me....good/o's providers only can do the funding and satisfactory where there is not enough provision.... then says :from Sept 2015 early education 'could' be provided by good/o's only? I though quality was of the essence? obviously not

Should newly registered providers do the funding...not in my view

The funding needs to be transparent, we can compare rates across LAs...can't imagine them competing to offer more
Last but not least there should be equal opps for providers to access the funding

So not that clear after all...have you spotted anything important?

I also got an email from the DfE this morning (same director I have been in touch a while) pointing me to the guidance as I have reported to him the many battles with my LA over the last few months...I told him it is not as clear as it should be...too many musts and shoulds!!
What can he do I wonder?

rickysmiths
19-07-2013, 02:57 PM
Has anyone noticed this?

Do you mean this section?

A4.9 Limit the conditions they place on providers who been rated as ‘good’ or
‘outstanding’ to deliver funded places to those related to ensuring:
 funded places are entirely free of charge to parents;
 places are offered flexibly to meet the needs of parents;
 the proper use of public funds;
 providers meet the needs of disabled children or those with a special
educational need; and
 providers are keeping children safe

These are nothing like the conditions currently imposed by some LAs. Most Good and Outstanding cm will meet all these anyway with no difficulty at all.

I think this document is very clear. The only conditions that an LA can apply to a provider are that for 2yr Funding they are Good or Outstanding and 3-4 funding they are Ofsted registered. The other 'conditions' above would be fulfilled by most good or Outstanding providers and are nothing like the Conditions that have been applied by my LA or others I have heard of. As I read the document it opens the way for many more cms to be able to offer the funded places which is the way it should have been all along. At last common sense prevails.

Simona
19-07-2013, 05:47 PM
The conditions you mention are on page 12 (4.9) and it says 'limit the conditions'

I was referring to page 17 where it says 'power to attach conditions'...which is it then to limit or to attach?
I am glad you find it very clear...I wonder why Pacey are running a vote on the new guidance if it is that clear ?