PDA

View Full Version : When do you need to ring Ofsted regarding accidents

zippy
17-07-2013, 09:17 PM
Right been reading things on various other places and there seems to be confusion about when you need to inform Ofsted of accidents what do you all think. Couple of scenerios for you, child falls over cuts head, gets glued at doctors walk in, or child bangs head fine while with you, goes home several hours later they are vomiting ambulance called etc taken to a and e but discharged after observation put down to bug not conclusion. Or same as second scenerios but admitted to ward for a few hours for observation again discharged and put down to bug. Does Ofsted need to be informed about any of these incidents?

A - when child goes to doctors walk in

B - when child goes to A and E but discharged

C - when child goes to A and E but admitted to ward

hectors house
17-07-2013, 09:32 PM
You need to refer to document "serious accidents, injuries and deaths that registered providers must notify to Ofsted and local child protection agencies" catchy little title produced by Ofsted.

I think the answer is none of them need reporting - as minor head injury is a "minor injury" which doesn't need reporting - if however the child loses consciousness then that is classed as "major" and must be reported.

If child goes to A & E and needs to be admitted for more than 24 hours then that is "major" - so you would have to hope child is assessed quickly and sent home before then.

zippy
17-07-2013, 09:33 PM
Just found this doc on here http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/filedownloading/?file=documents/other-forms-and-guides/s/Serious%20accidents,%20injuries%20and%20deaths%20t hat%20registered%20providers%20must%20notify%20to% 20Ofsted%20and%20local%20child%20protection%20agen cies.doc&refer=0 which seems to indicate if taken to hospital and admitted for 24 hours or more or am I reading it wrong. Does anyone know if this is the latest guidance or is the a more up to date version.

zippy
17-07-2013, 09:34 PM
Thanks hectors house

sprinkles
18-07-2013, 05:56 AM
It's different for me as I'm in Scotland but my inspector told me if a child needs medical attention after an accident/incident then we must inform them.

Tunja
18-07-2013, 08:29 AM
You need to refer to document "serious accidents, injuries and deaths that registered providers must notify to Ofsted and local child protection agencies" catchy little title produced by Ofsted.

I think the answer is none of them need reporting - as minor head injury is a "minor injury" which doesn't need reporting - if however the child loses consciousness then that is classed as "major" and must be reported.

If child goes to A & E and needs to be admitted for more than 24 hours then that is "major" - so you would have to hope child is assessed quickly and sent home before then.

You forgot the or, if they have died. I had to report a resuscitation even though no doctor, hospital was involved.:littleangel:

sarah707
18-07-2013, 05:03 PM
I know what it says in the EYFS - and I know what it says in the Ofsted factsheet - but I would be tempted to ring Ofsted and inform them about any accident or injury if you think it is serious.

If you are asking the question 'should I let them know?' then I think the answer if probably 'yes'.

Hth :D