PDA

View Full Version : Parents forced to double spend on teachers' gifts

Simona
17-07-2013, 09:13 PM
A Harrods hamper, a Tiffany necklace, a day at a spa or a holiday in the family villa!! and that is just for teaching a child for one year??

what should a cm get after several consecutive years of care, endless nappy changes, love and care etc etc etc???

Parents forced to double spending on teacher's gifts - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/consumertips/household-bills/10182827/Parents-forced-to-double-spending-on-teachers-gifts.html)

Stapleton83
17-07-2013, 09:17 PM
What a load of nonsense - sorry but it makes me mad why do people see everything as a competition ?

At the end of the day it is the gesture surely not the gift - perhaps I am just being naiive.

Sam x

FussyElmo
17-07-2013, 09:19 PM
You buy a gft because you appreciate what they have done. Not to get one over the parents. My children's teachers will have homemade biscuits plus a gift.

Simona
17-07-2013, 09:23 PM
Make sure you don't take a nibble at the biscuits before she gets them!!
I am still giggling at the parent who gave a half drunk bottle of wine!!!

bindy
17-07-2013, 09:28 PM
That does not surprise me at all. It's been going on for years in the private sector

zippy
17-07-2013, 09:35 PM
A Harrods hamper, a Tiffany necklace, a day at a spa or a holiday in the family villa!! and that is just for teaching a child for one year??

what should a cm get after several consecutive years of care, endless nappy changes, love and care etc etc etc???

Parents forced to double spending on teacher's gifts - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/consumertips/household-bills/10182827/Parents-forced-to-double-spending-on-teachers-gifts.html)

I'll have the villa please never been one for jewellery lol

charlottenash
17-07-2013, 09:52 PM
Books for the school/class/nursery and hand made cards

The Juggler
17-07-2013, 10:19 PM
i write a card, dd/ds make one. I write a message that I mean - thank you's are not about spending money it's about what you say and what you think - it s so ridiculous parents are spending this much money and makes me feel even worse but I KNOW that most teachers get so many chocs, and mugs they give half of them away :panic:

Bumble Beez
18-07-2013, 04:51 AM
Oh for goodness sake...since when has buying a gift for teachers become a competition?!
I've always bought a little gift for my sons teachers, and DS makes a card...
This year I'm doing something a little different...we've made these
Found this idea on Pinterest and thought they were fun!

And was thinking about making these up for the new term...

Both these ideas are meant to be useful, thoughtful and will not cost the earth to make :)

Sarah x

VeggieSausage
18-07-2013, 04:51 AM
My daughter has made a card and we wil both write a message in it but that will be it from us. There is a class collection £10 each.....that would make £300 if everyone contributed!!!.....I find it easy to say that I won't be contributing thanks and have never bowed to the pressure of giving too much.....

CLL
18-07-2013, 06:10 AM
My daughter has made a card and we wil both write a message in it but that will be it from us. There is a class collection £10 each.....that would make £300 if everyone contributed!!!.....I find it easy to say that I won't be contributing thanks and have never bowed to the pressure of giving too much.....

This is very excessive. As a teacher I would have been very embarrassed to receive such a high amount. A bunch of flowers from the class and a few cards is more than enough. Teachers do not even get this amount in the collection from their colleagues when they leave and have spent a lifetime at a school.

samb
18-07-2013, 07:13 AM
My dd is leaving infants this year and so a parent has arranged some lovely gifts. We've contributed £10 each and there's 19 in the class. With that we have got teacher a personalised cushion and mug, classroom assistant a cushion and mug, head teacher a personalised wine glass and some posh biscuits for the staff room. Hey have had same teacher for 2 years. Usually my children make something so my ds has chosen some house shaped key rings from crafty crocs - written teachers name on one side and drawn pic on other- were about 20p each!

JCrakers
18-07-2013, 07:15 AM
I stopped doing presents for teachers when my dd class was merged with the year above. 8 teachers in total including assisitants.

Plus I know someone who is a teacher and she gets so much "Crap" (her words) that soon after, she car boots most of it

bunyip
18-07-2013, 07:16 AM
Ahh, summer. The time of year when all the charity shops start clearing room on the shelves for 1000's of "World's Best Teacher" mugs, "World's Best Teacher" statuettes, "World's Best Teacher" paperweights, "World's Best Teacher".............etc.....................etc.......... ...........etc :rolleyes:

ziggy
18-07-2013, 07:20 AM
I think it is utter madness. Having worked in school I have seen teachers/assistants take bag of pressies straight to nearest charity shop.

What a complete waste of money.

A parent gave me two bottles of wine and a lovely card yesterday (much appreciated) then she looked a bit shocked when I gave her a bill for nearly £300, maybe she thought 2 bottles of wine would be enough payment:laughing:

bunyip
18-07-2013, 07:30 AM
I think it is utter madness. Having worked in school I have seen teachers/assistants take bag of pressies straight to nearest charity shop.

What a complete waste of money.

A parent gave me two bottles of wine and a lovely card yesterday (much appreciated) then she looked a bit shocked when I gave her a bill for nearly £300, maybe she thought 2 bottles of wine would be enough payment:laughing:

:laughing: She should've given you the wine before you wrote the invoice, then hope you put the 'point' in the wrong place. :D

loocyloo
18-07-2013, 07:32 AM
my children will make cards and we will give them a little plant or something. I like the idea of some pens! in fact for DDs teacher, she wants to get her some stickers as she uses lots!

smurfette
18-07-2013, 07:38 AM
The parents at our school all club together to get something.. The contribution is suggested to be between 5-10 euros each.. I only give 5 as I have 3 to buy for! On the one hand it's great not to have to worry about getting something suitable plus I think it's better for teachers to get something big than lots of bigger things and also they give something to the special needs assistants and secretary and principal too .. On the other hand because they put a sticker on the card for each child who contributes I feel the kids who don't stick out .. And I end up giving something even if I think the teacher is crap!

smurfette
18-07-2013, 07:38 AM
Oh and I don't like that I feel it is expected for everyone to give .. It's not genuine then and not all of us get lavish tips for doing our job!

cherry
18-07-2013, 07:45 AM
I had a brother and sister leave me Tuesday after 7 years, mother sent Granddad to collect and I didn't even get a thank you :(

Simona
18-07-2013, 08:38 AM
While I can imagine teachers taking a lot of the presents to car boot sales or charity shops I, somehow, cannot see them handing over a spa day or a Tiffany necklace? if true these are the gifts teachers receive

mum2two
18-07-2013, 08:38 AM
I bought some boxes of the £1 celebrations! In my kids jr school, they have their house base teacher, then a dif teacher for English & maths, and then others! My eldest wanted to get 7 presents and found something on the Internet for a fiver each!!!! Errr - no!!!

I have bought my sons house base teacher a personalised notebook (£5 on eBay) as she has been great for him after his previous teachers at previous school.

xx

The Juggler
18-07-2013, 10:30 AM
I had a brother and sister leave me Tuesday after 7 years, mother sent Granddad to collect and I didn't even get a thank you :(

:( that's awful.

Samijanec
18-07-2013, 10:41 AM

I've got one leaving in a week, I know I won't be getting anything. I've given him birthday parties, birthday presents, Xmas presents and so on but never had so much as I card bad so I am not expecting anything next week when he's left.

smurfette
18-07-2013, 10:44 AM
I've got one leaving in a week, I know I won't be getting anything. I've given him birthday parties, birthday presents, Xmas presents and so on but never had so much as I card bad so I am not expecting anything next week when he's left.

Sad isn't it?

smurfette
18-07-2013, 10:44 AM
Sad isn't it?

I feel it shows a lack of understanding for what our relationship is like with the little ones

FussyElmo
18-07-2013, 10:48 AM
Oh for goodness sake...since when has buying a gift for teachers become a competition?!
I've always bought a little gift for my sons teachers, and DS makes a card...
This year I'm doing something a little different...we've made these
Found this idea on Pinterest and thought they were fun!

And was thinking about making these up for the new term...

Both these ideas are meant to be useful, thoughtful and will not cost the earth to make :)

Sarah x

Those are fab :thumbsup:

Im making smartie cookies tonight and putting them in a jar with a label saying Thank you for making me one smart cookie.

Think I saw that on pinterest I may spend a lot of time on there :laughing::laughing:

Samijanec
18-07-2013, 10:50 AM
Sad isn't it?

I think so yea, even just a home made card would be lovely but I didn't even get so much as a happy birthday verbally. :(

smurfette
18-07-2013, 10:57 AM
I think so yea, even just a home made card would be lovely but I didn't even get so much as a happy birthday verbally. :(

Had one leave recently who was the same, I did get a thank you but really thought I might have got a card or flowers or something.

singingcactus
18-07-2013, 11:57 AM
Forced?? Between my 3 kids and various postings my kids have been at 11 schools. Not one of them forced me to buy the teachers a gift.

I don't buy the staff gifts. My twins made one of their teachers a calendar one year for christmas, and I bought a spike milligan nonsense rhyme book for my youngests reception class (an attempt to help the teacher get boys interested in rhyming and reading) but those 2 gifts were a choice, not a requirement.

What a lot of tosh. Always the same with the media. Attention grabbing headline, total twaddle thereafter.

clareelizabeth1
18-07-2013, 12:02 PM
Those are fab :thumbsup:

Im making smartie cookies tonight and putting them in a jar with a label saying Thank you for making me one smart cookie.

Think I saw that on pinterest I may spend a lot of time on there :laughing::laughing:

Yep that would be pintrest I saw it too.

Kirstylob
18-07-2013, 12:03 PM
I'm making chocolates for my sons teachers. I love making them and my eldest son is at secondary school and has had the same form tutor for the past 4 years and she looks forward to getting hers!

lizduncan72
18-07-2013, 12:29 PM
I make a big box of cupcakes which I hand in for all the teachers at DS's school at Christmas and summer-didn't manage it this time cos our new soon to be adoptive daughter moved in the week before the end of term!! Will do them for the school going back instead to cheer the teachers up :)

charleyfarley
18-07-2013, 12:29 PM
Well all I can say if any of my childrens teachers are expecting a villa, a Tiffany necklace or anything else from Netmums list they are going to come unstuck!!

I have bought some vases (£1) and shall fill them with flowers, then wrap them, the male teachers have got jokey presents, again cheap.

One teacher is getting absolutely NOTHING as I don't feel she deserves a thank you, she'll be lucky if I even speak to her again after Friday!! I've never not bought a teacher a thank you present before so this is a first.

Carol xx