PDA

View Full Version : Anyone NOT looking forward to the holidays?

MrsP2C
17-07-2013, 06:20 PM
I've been reading the other thread about holiday countdown excitement with huge amounts of envy as so many of you seem to be quieter during the holidays & can relax a bit with your own DC. I dread the holidays as I have my all my mindees including the schoolies so 3 days it's a 1, 4, 6 & 8 year old plus a 7 yr old 2 days and I find it hard to juggle activities that everyone enjoys without spending a fortune on outings.

I've got 1 week away & would really love a week off at home but can't afford the extra week ATM. Someone tell me I'm not the only one who prefers term time..,

watgem
17-07-2013, 06:30 PM
I prefer term time:) Its very hard trying to keep everyone happy when theres a big age range, 1-11, and the 11 year old really doesn't want to be here, so its a constant juggle, and have children coming/going at different times which makes it difficult to organise outings etc. The only salvation is that this year on fridays I will only have bigger ones so I won't have to worry about LO's playing with innappropriate things and can gear everything for just the older ones:)

Rick
17-07-2013, 06:38 PM
The majority of our toddler groups shut so our usual routine is shattered! I should be about as busy as usual, some children come extra days in the holidays, some not at all.

VeggieSausage
17-07-2013, 06:50 PM
I love the summer holidays, if i have a big group of say 5 or 6 children I allow the money I get from 2 of them as a bedget for things, I may not spend it but it means we can have fun and do interesting things....usually every day involves a picnic in a park somewhere interspersed with the odd day out, lunch in a cafe, cinema, ice creams etc.....

charlottenash
17-07-2013, 06:57 PM
This is my first summer holidays, so ill let you know if I make it to the other side...;)

supermumy
17-07-2013, 06:57 PM
I love holidays no school runs or looking at the clock to get back for things
I got 4 of my own 14,10,4 and 2 so far I'm not working holidays as mine are term time but come middle August got a baby starting :)

FizzWizz
17-07-2013, 09:49 PM
I'm not looking forward to them either, I find the lack of groups makes the week so much harder to fill, that together with the bigger age gaps and the demands of my own children

green4lynn
17-07-2013, 09:50 PM
I'm somewhere inbetween! I hate the fact that toddler groups stop for the hols and that everywhere is soooo busy (and expensive). I love having my girls home though (13 & 18), as the little ones love them. I don't have any older ones so activities are much the same as normal, but things seem kind of more relaxed! Hopefully it'll stay warm, but not too hot that we can't play outside!

x

The Juggler
17-07-2013, 10:20 PM
thats what i used to be like, that's when I decided to work term tiem only. Never have been properly tto but mostly - so ended up with either less littlies or less biggies in holidays and only offered 2/3 days care so was much easier. Worth considering as you change families :cool:

angeldelight
17-07-2013, 10:24 PM
I'm busy

But I love it

Always loved the holidays with my own children too

No time watching and if the sun continues lots of outdoor play too

Angel xxx

karen m
18-07-2013, 06:43 AM
Although my 2 full timers are TT. My ad hoc come more through holidays so evens it self out

Twinkling Stars
18-07-2013, 07:01 AM
I have lots of older siblings attending during the summer. Im starting to dread it. :-( at least I have two weeks off in between!

Mouse
18-07-2013, 08:27 AM
I don't have any school aged mindees, so it's business as usual for me. Well, apart from the fact that all my littlies are going on holiday at some time or other.

I'm only working one week at full capacity & have got quieter weeks the rest of the time. I've even managed to jiggle a few children around and get myself a couple of extra afternoons off :D :clapping:

ziggy
18-07-2013, 08:34 AM
I'm coming to end of 3rd week of holidays and then have 2 weeks off.:clapping:

I have mixed feelings about it really. Hated first week having schoolies and little ones aged from 6months to 11years. It has been too hot to go to beach, only toddler group on weds morning is on over summer. Little ones finding it hard not being in usual routine. Schoolies have been great this week and extra money is lovely but I slept from 8pm till
6.30 last night, exhausted.

I had decided this would be last summer I would have schoolies now i'm not so sure lol.

JCrakers
18-07-2013, 08:44 AM
I really dont like the summer holidays. :panic: Basically because Im either bursting full and knackered or only have 1-2 who dont play together (9 and 2) Plus I dont get to take my own children anywhere. Ive booked some weekend activities so at least my son isnt sat in his room for the whole of August. Hes 14 and loves his xbox. So all the weekends are booked up with Alton towers, trip to London, camping :D

Im ok with the other holidays as they are shorter. I started off on Monday and Tuesday with 8 mindees, weds was down to 4, today Ive got 3 but started at 7.30am which is half an hr earlier today. Tomorrow I only have a 2yr old and my dd friend 11, then finish at 4pm.

Then I have 2 weeks off :clapping: and working all of August with just two days off. I really not looking forward to it at all and ive decided that next summer im not doing all of August and will say no to older children.

kimnolan87
18-07-2013, 09:06 AM
I'm really not sure what to think about the holidays - shorter ones haven't been too bad, but I'm still not sure which days I am working yet......

Although I have got two weeks with just the little ones - which means I will have two Mondays off and possibly an odd Tuesday too - we will see!!!

oxfordshirecm
18-07-2013, 05:35 PM
I can't wait this year I will just have three little ones all summer but getting paid for 6 (I work with an assistant but obviously not having an assistant over the summer) have do much planned cant wait- need the time to chill as I'm exhausted- only 6 more school runs left :)

Gillian Haywood
19-07-2013, 06:51 AM
I love the holidays....I will have children ranging from 10months to 10 years this holidays....normally 7 children at any one time changing through the day as I have many children who's parents do shifts. We will visit the local parks, museums, farms...have a few fun days at home and I've planned lots of arts and craft activities for all ages....the older children love the freedom of having me and their friends for longer instead of before and after school and the little ones love having the older children around.....im working four out of the six weeks...I always take my hols in august for two weeks so I can spend time with my own family and re-charge my batteries. Im just finishing updating all the learning journeys, paperwork etc so all we have to do is have fun and I can fall in a heap at 6pm lol.

Shamai
19-07-2013, 11:39 AM
I've only got one mindee in the holidays who is also my DD's classmate and they get on great and have the same interests - so its much easier to plan activities/outings for just the two of them. After last year working every day in school holidays, I have taken Fridays off to spend time with my DD and go away for weekends etc. I've also got a week's holiday on 12th August so I am feeling quite relaxed about the summer hols this year :)

smurfette
19-07-2013, 11:54 AM
I'm coming to end of 3rd week of holidays and then have 2 weeks off.:clapping:

I have mixed feelings about it really. Hated first week having schoolies and little ones aged from 6months to 11years. It has been too hot to go to beach, only toddler group on weds morning is on over summer. Little ones finding it hard not being in usual routine. Schoolies have been great this week and extra money is lovely but I slept from 8pm till
6.30 last night, exhausted.

I had decided this would be last summer I would have schoolies now i'm not so sure lol.

Glad things have improved a bit Ziggy!

Chimps Childminding
19-07-2013, 12:17 PM
I usually dread the holidays, BUT 2 out of my 3 schoolies didn't come back when I started back to work as they are cousins and parents/grandparents are coving it, so that only leaves me 1 x 7 year old girl!! I have her 2 little brothers (1 and 2 1/2) so my agreement with mum is I only charge for schoolie if she comes, and she quite often goes on playdates or to her nan or auntie, so its just the littlies I have most of the time :clapping: