PDA

View Full Version : Another playgroup question

mumtodaniel
04-01-2008, 09:03 PM
Hi, I just waiting for my reg certificate due any day now, but aware of someone via a friend who wants their child looked after mon to thursday from 8.30 to 12.40 and then dropped off to nursery but mum will then pick up.

Not sure if this is good idea, as might not be able to get another child for the afternoons. Would you suggest charging for this time too.

ruby
04-01-2008, 09:16 PM
I have a little one who came 9.00/3.15 but now goes to nursery at 12.45 but mother pays the same as she wants to keep his place in the afternoons as i will be having him during the school holidays

will the parents require you to have him all day during the school holidays if
so then you should charge for the afternoons but explain to the mother
that you need to keep his place open.

but then he is 4 mornings so i would still take him but it depends on how you feel about it
not being very helpful am i

cathy

chubbymummy
04-01-2008, 09:17 PM
if the parents want you to be responsible for the child during playgroup hours then you need to charge i.e. if the playgroup has certain days off like training days then it's worth you and parents deciding who is responsible for the child.

i have one child that this happened to just before christmas, parents decide that they were responsible when child in nursery but when nursery had to close one day and i didn't have space during the nursery hours then mum wasn't happy. i had to remind her that she had chosen to take responsibility for these hours!!!!!
and not pay me for this time i had therefore filled these hours.

Schnakes
05-01-2008, 09:08 AM
I definately wouldnt charge for the afternoon if mum is picking the child up. There is absolutely no way you could justify it. Its not mums responsibility to pay your bills - its her responsibility to pay you for the hours you are responsible for her son. Its your job to fill your spaces - not hers!!

Sorry if thats not what you want to hear!!

Sx

Mollymop
05-01-2008, 10:47 AM
I agree with schnakes,
But then if you are going to be an emergency contact for the nursery I would still charge fees until nursery is over. If you are not going to charge make sure you do at least charge the parent for your time taking him to nursery and getting home again.
It's your business you should do what you think feels right.
Let us know how it goes XX BIG HUGS

sarah707
05-01-2008, 10:48 AM
I'm with Schnakes on this one!

However, it wouldn't stop me taking on the child. I have lots of part-timers and I juggle them through the day.

It means a lot of walking to and from the local schools but at least they're local!

Let us know what you decide :)

Rubybubbles
05-01-2008, 01:40 PM
I would only charge if she wanted you to pick the child up too.

I would take on for morning if had space, whatever works out for you

Spangles
05-01-2008, 01:46 PM
Personally I wouldn't have a problem taking this child on as he would be with you for a reasonable number of hours a week and it leaves you clear to have another child that someone may only want afternoon cover for.

Seems to me that some people want childcare but aren't really worried about what times because they're not working they just want time to do something else, chill out or shop or whatever if you see what I mean so I think you can usually fill part-time vacancies at some point.

I wouldn't charge after I dropped the child off at nursery unless I was expected to do emergency cover for when nursery not available.

mumtodaniel
06-01-2008, 06:45 PM
Thanks for all the advise. Quite hard when your starting out because from what I have read from here that people in the early stages sometimes take kids on and then it doesn't work for them with their numbers etc. Just heard it is not till September, so will give me time to think about it. I love looking after children and doing activities, my main reason going into childminding. However, the other option was to go back to full time work, so need to make sure the income works for me too which is why I was hesitant in taking on 4 days part time. I guess I am not sure how easy it is to get part time in the afternoons. This site is just so fantastic, look forward to speaking soon.

Maureen x

miffy
06-01-2008, 09:21 PM
Hi Maureen

By September you may have taken on other children anyway and not be able to fit this child in so don't worry too much at the moment.

Miffy xx