PDA

View Full Version : Suncream

Nicola Carlyle
17-07-2013, 03:48 PM
How often should you apply sun cream to children? I've always thought it was every two hours but have been applying my little ones every hour. That being said we are not staying out more than 40 minutes max as its just far to hot. I also apply it ever time we go in the school run. If parents want it applies every 30 minutes do you do it? I'm talking factor 50+ here.

Samijanec
17-07-2013, 03:56 PM
I do it every few hours, it's much cooler in Aberdeen today, slight cloud cover so much nicer than it has been .. :D

Tinkerbell1979
17-07-2013, 04:08 PM
Mindees turn up with it being applied around 7.30, I put it on again around 9.30/11.30 then once awake from nap around 2.30 then again at 4.30 and they go home 5.30/6pm.

I'd rather be over cautious

jackie 7
17-07-2013, 04:09 PM
I put it on in the morning and we go out. Home by 11/11.30 then stay in. No shade so just too sunny.

Koala
17-07-2013, 04:55 PM
How often should you apply sun cream to children? I've always thought it was every two hours but have been applying my little ones every hour. That being said we are not staying out more than 40 minutes max as its just far to hot. I also apply it ever time we go in the school run. If parents want it applies every 30 minutes do you do it? I'm talking factor 50+ here.

I do not stay out in the sun long, we play in shaded corner of garden at the moment and come in around 11.00am when sun is high and stay in rest of day.

In 'ordinary sunny weather' I would apply on a morning 9.30ish come in around 11.30ish for lunch maybe go back out 1.30pm re apply and 3.30pm come back in for tea, depending on sun reapply if we go back out or if we stayed out for tea I would re apply. Babies DO NOT go out in the sun - shade only.

I would not apply every half hour - that's rather excessive - is there a problem?

little chickee
17-07-2013, 06:26 PM
If using factor 50 i think every 2 - 3 hours is fine. If a parent wanted me to apply every 30 minutes then i would explain that thats not necaessay.

If i had a apply suncream to 3 kids every 1/2 hour that would drive me insane!

bindy
17-07-2013, 07:09 PM
I apply just as we go outside to play, mindees only, because I have to. My daughter had none on this morning. We went out early and she played under shade. We were back in the house by 11am. We don't go back outside until late afternoon around 3:30. Depending on the strength of the sun and where we play, may/not put more on. Normally we play in a large shaded area. None of the mindees or my daughter have ever been burnt or even slightly red . I don't understand why anyone would put on every 30 minutes or even every 1/2 or 3 hours. Are you out in the sun all day?

charlottenash
17-07-2013, 07:20 PM
Doesn't it wear off after 4 hours, that's why I reapply every 2-3 hours even if we arent in the sun. I also reapply after water play because it usually washes off their arms.

supermumy
17-07-2013, 07:23 PM
I apply just as we go outside to play, mindees only, because I have to. My daughter had none on this morning. We went out early and she played under shade. We were back in the house by 11am. We don't go back outside until late afternoon around 3:30. Depending on the strength of the sun and where we play, may/not put more on. Normally we play in a large shaded area. None of the mindees or my daughter have ever been burnt or even slightly red . I don't understand why anyone would put on every 30 minutes or even every 1/2 or 3 hours. Are you out in the sun all day?

Some kids just burn easy I had a mindee that within 5mins in sun would go red she needed suncream and hat all times often I'd rather put it on every hour and be safe then chance it :)
And even if ur in shade u can still catch the sun rays

charlottenash
17-07-2013, 07:24 PM
Sounds like me supermumy! Ginger hair and pale skin, I stand no chance in the sun!

bindy
17-07-2013, 07:54 PM
Some kids just burn easy I had a mindee that within 5mins in sun would go red she needed suncream and hat all times often I'd rather put it on every hour and be safe then chance it :)
And even if ur in shade u can still catch the sun rays

Yes I understand that, I have a mindee who is white hair and white skin, still he has never gone red the way I do it. We play in the shade the coolest part of the day. We all need some sun, we need it to make vitamin D. Also lots of chemicals in sun cream, would hate to rub that into skin every hour just for the sake of it.

Nicola Carlyle
17-07-2013, 08:03 PM
We are like most of you. We apply sun cream at 8.30am ready for the school run if its hot already or we wait till we get back and apply it at 9.15am/9.30am. We play in and out until 11.30am LATEST (usually 11am). I'd I feel they need more I re apply after an hour and they always wear sun hats. They are NOT allowed outside to play otherwise. We do not go back out until 3.00pm as we have to do the school run. I re apply the sun cream before we go on the school run. When we get home we have snack and more often than not this last week I have said no to outside play as its just to hot. If we do go back out its at 4pm they are only out for 45 minutes. I make sure we re apply again before we go out. I thought I was covered and had a pretty good regime set up.

It would seem not! I have a parent who's not happy me as her little one apparently got burnt here last week. I never noticed any red marks and mum never mentioned for over a week (that's when I saw little one again). Don't know why she waited a week to tell me. Think I will complete an incident form for this one. I feel awful if it did happen on my watch and keep going over the event of the day but I know I stuck to my routine. Just not to sure what else to do really. x

nikki thomson
17-07-2013, 08:53 PM
Now I'm a real stickler for sun cream, my children are blond hair blue eyed and very fair skin, I burn v easily and do not sit out in the sun, however we went to the beach last sun, we had no shade from 10 when we got there until we left at 4, I applied factor 50 at 10, 12 and 2 and bearing in mind the last two times there was all sand mixed in it, as kids were in and out the sea constantly and they did not burn one bit, it just goes to show if u apply it properly they can be out all day in the sun and they will not burn.
It's not something we usually do but we had an absolutely fab day with no shade and were fine.
The reason children burn is because they either don't have a high enough factor or it's not applied properly and I'm walking proof of that.

kellib
17-07-2013, 11:26 PM
I put it on mindees before we go out, if they haven't already got it on, then reapply as and when I see fit during the course of the day.

Probably only reapply it once though as even though they need protecting everyone also needs some vitamin D in the bodies!

karen m
18-07-2013, 06:32 AM
I apply it once in the morning and maybe once in the afternoon , my main 2 mindees are fair skinned but have never burnt , as for not going out between certain times we have patio doors open and they go in and out throughout the day , we have plenty of cold drinks to keep them hydrated but I refuse to sit indoors with the doors shut in this lovely weather

bunyip
18-07-2013, 07:04 AM
It would seem not! I have a parent who's not happy me as her little one apparently got burnt here last week. I never noticed any red marks and mum never mentioned for over a week (that's when I saw little one again). Don't know why she waited a week to tell me. Think I will complete an incident form for this one. I feel awful if it did happen on my watch and keep going over the event of the day but I know I stuck to my routine. Just not to sure what else to do really. x

Definitely do an incident form, but do it in terms of "mum reported............blah blah" and note the precautions you were taking. You should not feel under pressure to say/write it happened at your setting and there is no evidence of that being the case.

If mum has taken 7 days to inform you, then I'd say there's a fair chance it happened somewhere else.

Nicola Carlyle
18-07-2013, 07:22 AM
I've never done an incident form before. Do I get mum to sign it?

bindy
18-07-2013, 07:28 AM

Yes and give her a copy but I think Bunyip has given out some very good advice!

bunyip
18-07-2013, 07:35 AM

Get mum to sign to show she has read and received a copy. It doesn't necessarily mean she agrees with your account, even if she signs.

Parents should sign for all such forms, except that you may (rather rarely) do a 'record of concerns' that it may be best for the parent not to see, if you feel it may be linked to a safeguarding concern.

Supernanny86
18-07-2013, 07:40 AM
I apply it once in the morning and maybe once in the afternoon , my main 2 mindees are fair skinned but have never burnt , as for not going out between certain times we have patio doors open and they go in and out throughout the day , we have plenty of cold drinks to keep them hydrated but I refuse to sit indoors with the doors shut in this lovely weather

My thoughts exactly!! :)