PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have an asthma care plan?

Mouse
17-07-2013, 12:09 PM
I've been asked to look after a child with asthma. Surprisingly, in all my years of childminding, he's the first one.

I've told parents they will need to show me how to use the inhaler and will need to complete a medication form.

The child won't need the inhaler regularly, just as needed.

I assume I have to have a care plan explaining when to spot that he needs the inhaler.
Do I need permission before I use it, or is the medication form sufficient?

Any tips?

jackie 7
17-07-2013, 12:29 PM
I have looked after children as s nanny who all had asthma. All had different triggers and I learned very quickly how to spot when it was coming on. You can ask if their doctor has an asthma nurse who will talk it through with you. The parents will show you how to use the inhaler. How to wash it and how to know they are having an episode. Make sure they leave an inhaler with you as you should bring it everywhere you go if necessary.

maisiemog
17-07-2013, 02:01 PM
My DD has asthma and neither her nursery or preschool have asked for a care plan. They've asked to be shown how to use the inhaler and what her triggers are and I've had to sign the consent forms. That's all!

I would recommend that you ask for an inhaler to be kept at yours as then you can guarantee you always have it! It's so easy to forget it!

Mouse
17-07-2013, 02:14 PM
Thank you both.

This lo is coming to me from a nursery & parents have said they were never asked anything. They'd never even had to sign a consent/medication form!

bunyip
17-07-2013, 03:12 PM
Put the child's name on their inhaler(s) in case you end up with other children with different types. As I, Mrs B and one mindee all have different types of reliever and preventer inhalers, we have 6 different ones in the house and don't want a mix-up in an emergency.

Children often use a 'spacer' to help them get the full dose when they inhale. These are quite big, so make sure you have enough space to store and carry one - and get used to cleaning it out regularly.

If the parents won't supply a dedicated inhaler(s) to keep at your place, then include a note in your policies that you will refuse to accept them (from parents/school/anyone) unless and until you've checked they are carrying one each time you take them into your care (but will still charge for wasting your time.) They really should provide one: they only need to explain to the doctor why they need another one to be prescribed.

Bumble Beez
17-07-2013, 03:20 PM
Actually I don't...but it's made me think I might need one?!
My parents sign a long term medication form in the PACEY book which is sufficient however a care plan would be better...

Sarah x

oxfordshirecm
17-07-2013, 05:41 PM
I don't have one either as had no need so far... But maybe should get one just in case

Mouse
17-07-2013, 07:54 PM
Thanks all.

We may not have to have a care plan, but I like to have all eventualities covered! I want to cover things like what are the signs he might need the inhaler, are there any triggers, do parents want me to contact them immediately if I use the inhaler, or just let them know at home time.

I've asked mum to get spares of everything to leave at my house. Hopefully we'll never need it, but you can guarantee the time we did need it would be the time it's forgotten! I think that's why I want to have everything covered. It's going to be so seldom I need to use it, I don't want to be flapping round at the time wondering what to do!

Supernanny86
17-07-2013, 08:52 PM
I'm sure you'll be fine mouse. Everyone's triggers are different and you'll soon get to realise when he needs inhaler etc.

The LO I look after has severe asthma. He has steroids, inhalers and allergy mess to take daily. Doesn't faze me at all as I have a moderate lung disease so nothing is new to me!! The mum likes to take him to hosp when he's really bad so I have to make a judgement, on whether she will be back in time. Obv, I have permission for things like taking to hosp, calling an ambulance etc.

One thing I would say is that it's a very unpredictable thing but you'll soon know how to manage it. I just have a separate medical form for him now as he was only diagnosed a few months ago signed by parents to say what drugs and steroids he has daily.

But you'll be fine and it can always brawn as a plus as its one more scenario you can say you've managed. (I think this was a plus me having a bad chest as they knew I'd be confident in managing the kiddies chest too!!)

Kerry.

Stapleton83
17-07-2013, 08:57 PM
The only other thing I would add to having a care plan is make sure you get something signed by the parents/asthma nurse to say you have had the training and keep it with the consent for long term medication etc.

It sounds like your LO isn't too bad if they only have the inhaler as and when - don't be fazed I have been asthmatic since I was 8 and managed my own medication at school just remember to get them to try not to panic as that makes it worse.

Good luck.

Sam x