PDA

View Full Version : FCCERS

BuggsieMoo
17-07-2013, 10:34 AM
Wel ive decided to start using FCCERS in my setting from when I move - I personally find it to be a very reflective form of practice.

Rubybubbles found a brilliant sheet for me (Im going to miss the rest if the training in my current area and new area do not do it as yet :mad:) but would welcome any other good places to look.

Ive got the green FCCERS book but any other tools, suggestions etc are all welcome. xx

Thank you

Daftbat
17-07-2013, 03:25 PM
Well, I haven't got any ideas but didn't want to just read and run. However, I do think you are very brave. I recently had a FCCERS assessment at my home and found the whole experience horrid. The assessors weren't supposed to talk to me at all - instead I felt like a goldfish in a bowl whilst the assessors just hung around scribbling things down. I only took part in it because my local authority had specified it before 2 year funding could be applied for. I have since found out that I should be able to get it anyway later in the year and so all the extra stress was for nothing.

I do agree that it is a useful tool for reflective practice and have kept the book to hand for just that reason but as far as more assessments go I am opting out. By the way, everything was fine at the outcome of the assessment but I just feel it was a duplication of work already being done by Ofsted.

Good luck

Bumble Beez
17-07-2013, 03:34 PM
I had never even heard of this before I read this...I've just googled it and seen what it is, but still don't really understand it?

I'm sorry I haven't got anything to add that will help you...but I wanted to see if I was the only one who didn't know this existed?
My outreach officer, NVQ assessor, Ofsted inspector have never mentioned it...

Sarah x

butterfly
17-07-2013, 03:42 PM
Fccers is used in Devon to audit all funded Cms. We have to score over 5 to receive the lowest amount of support from county. I've had two inspections under this - three years apart. It's quite a good reflective process but some aspects are very American. If you're just using it to audit your own setting its very useful but if you're inspected under it to the letter it can be a very stressful process!! I found it useful having my first score (5.76) and then using that to improve my setting to gain a higher score (6.8) three years later.

Bumble Beez
17-07-2013, 03:46 PM
So can I use the books for my setting in Suffolk? Was thinking it might be helpful to do xx

Sarah x

emma04
17-07-2013, 03:50 PM
Just read and at a quick glance I thought you were using code for the F'word and that I was about to read a post on either the government, Ofsted or parents!!!! Lol

butterfly
17-07-2013, 03:58 PM
So can I use the books for my setting in Suffolk? Was thinking it might be helpful to do xx

Sarah x

Yes Sarah you can. The book will tell you what to look at in every aspect of your setting.

BuggsieMoo
17-07-2013, 04:07 PM
Well, I haven't got any ideas but didn't want to just read and run. However, I do think you are very brave. I recently had a FCCERS assessment at my home and found the whole experience horrid. The assessors weren't supposed to talk to me at all - instead I felt like a goldfish in a bowl whilst the assessors just hung around scribbling things down. I only took part in it because my local authority had specified it before 2 year funding could be applied for. I have since found out that I should be able to get it anyway later in the year and so all the extra stress was for nothing.

I do agree that it is a useful tool for reflective practice and have kept the book to hand for just that reason but as far as more assessments go I am opting out. By the way, everything was fine at the outcome of the assessment but I just feel it was a duplication of work already being done by Ofsted.

Good luck

Im purely going to use it for the reflectiveness of it - assess my setting now and see how I can improve etc. Other side of my paperwork will stay the same xx They told us as well they come for a few hours and literally do not speak to you or the kids. x

BuggsieMoo
17-07-2013, 04:07 PM
Just read and at a quick glance I thought you were using code for the F'word and that I was about to read a post on either the government, Ofsted or parents!!!! Lol

I know, I always thought that as well - need to remember it is pronounced FIC - KERS and not F***ers LOL x

Bumble Beez
17-07-2013, 04:10 PM
Yes Sarah you can. The book will tell you what to look at in every aspect of your setting.

Thank you butterfly xx

Sarah x

sarah707
17-07-2013, 04:41 PM
A lot of childminders are put through hours of unnecessary stress and upset by this and the other similar one - Eccers.

However, if used properly it can be a useful reflective tool.

Good luck with it! :D

BuggsieMoo
17-07-2013, 04:54 PM
A lot of childminders are put through hours of unnecessary stress and upset by this and the other similar one - Eccers.

However, if used properly it can be a useful reflective tool.

Good luck with it! :D

Eccers is for nursery settings isnt it? Ive a friend who has done eccers and she is also looking to do fccers in her setting as a childminder. As theres no training in my new area, I can't really incorporate it fully into the setting however it was a very interesting read to see how they scored points for certain things and to see how reflective it is on the setting and can cleary indicate where I can improve. No doubt ill post in a few months pulling my hair out over it all LOL. x:laughing: