PDA

View Full Version : more affordable childcare?!

Bumble Beez
16-07-2013, 11:39 AM
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/more-affordable-childcare

This should make for good reading :)
I've got lots to read tonight x

Sarah x

Simona
16-07-2013, 12:32 PM
This is basically a response to the Childcare Commission and in many cases the Govt has already decided what is going to do regardless of consultation
interesting sections are: 2.41, 3.24, 3.28 and 3.31

none will make childcare cheaper but there are some burdens that will be removed

and this is a summary
Plans for regulation shake-up for childcare set out | Nursery World (http://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/article/1191375/plans-regulation-shake-up-childcare-set?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

We can now debate!

AgentTink
16-07-2013, 12:54 PM
Here is the point i was most interested in, just waiting to see how quickly does "earliest opportunity" mean to the government

3.24 A provider’s ability to deliver government funded early education places should depend primarily on Ofsted’s judgement of their quality. We will therefore reform the requirements that government has placed on local authorities to add local eligibility criteria. We intend to amend the law, at the earliest opportunity, so that local authorities cannot refuse to offer to fund a place at an early education provider rated good or outstanding by Ofsted if an eligible child wants to take up a place there. We also intend to change the law to prevent local authorities from making additional quality-based requirements on good or outstanding private, voluntary and independent sector providers. We also intend to amend the law so that local authorities will be required to offer to fund a place at a new early education provider, registered with Ofsted, prior to their first Ofsted inspection, if an eligible child wants to take up a place there.

Mouse
16-07-2013, 01:14 PM
I've only had a quick read through, but the things that stick out are:

removing some of the contradictory regulations - must be an improvement

allowing anyone to offer care for up to 3 hours without the need to be registered - not so happy about that one!

removing the need to follow the EYFS for reception children who only receive wrap around care - sensible

forcing LAs to allow childminders to access 2,3 & 4 year old funding without putting up obstacles - let's see how long that one takes

childminder agencies - every point referring to childminders seems to be followed by a mention of childminder agencies - not good

confirmation that we don't have to do LJs - but then it was never said we had to. We'll still have to do something to show development.

I'll have a proper read later.

Loushah
16-07-2013, 01:17 PM
Had a quick read through 'More Affordable Childcare'

childminding agencies are definitely going to happen then...won't be looking forward to that :-(

Upto 40% of 2 year olds in 2014 will be offered a free school place...less children for childminders then.

Anything good on the report for childminders that I have missed?

AgentTink
16-07-2013, 01:40 PM
Had a quick read through 'More Affordable Childcare'

childminding agencies are definitely going to happen then...won't be looking forward to that :-(

Upto 40% of 2 year olds in 2014 will be offered a free school place...less children for childminders then.
I dont think this is what it means, the 40% is in relation to the number of 2 years old's who will be offered a free early learners 15 hours a week place at early years settings, just like the current 3/4 yrd old free 15 hours. The government is keen for schools to offer some places for 2 years olds as there is a shortage nationally, however they are not proposing that all 2 years olf get their free place at a school.

Anything good on the report for childminders that I have missed?

Good things for childminders could be the removal of LA's stopping outstanding and good childminders offering this free funding, and it being open to all of us with good or outstanding grades.

possibly removing the need to follow the eyfs with children who attend a full time reception place at school