PDA

View Full Version : Rubbish collection

unalindura77
16-07-2013, 09:56 AM
Hi, do any of you get an additional rubbish collection from your local council as you have a business from home?

The amount of rubbish we generate is unbelievable, I can only imagine once I get properly started and just one misely collection a week, on Fridays. Rubbish looks so unsightly out in our front patio I don't want to turn parents off and at the moment we have 3 bags already from the weekend and the flies ugghhhh.

Have looked in to having it collected privately but expensive to say the least!

Bumble Beez
16-07-2013, 10:00 AM
We only get the usual collections each week...but our black bin is always full. Luckily my neighbour is fantastic and has said if ever we need to we can use their bin...so on a Wednesday I'm out filling her bin up too!
Recycling one isn't normally too bad cos we do junk modelling fairly often and a lot gets used up then :)
But it can be annoying when you've got a lot to get rid of.

Sarah x

unalindura77
16-07-2013, 10:04 AM
That's a good idea Bumble, we could do that too..we have loads of recycling too, will have a dig through now to see if I can save anything for use or if not will do in September, then there's another issue...space! I suppose all childminders are space challenged....:panic:

scottishlass
16-07-2013, 10:06 AM
I am in Edinburgh and a good few months ago now they changed out rubbish collection from weekly to fortnightly and only collect the recycling every week. I really struggle to get 2 weeks worth of rubbish in my bin and it stinks of dirty nappies!!

Xx

Mrsh3103
16-07-2013, 10:16 AM
I've had my collections changed in norfolk. Bins are emptied fortnightly & we have a food waste bin that's collected weekly. It is the worst thing they could have ever done.
The bin men don't empty it properly so we have an inch thick layer at the moment at the bottom that has started to rot. The smell & flies when you open it is disgusting. Eeeeew

unalindura77
16-07-2013, 10:19 AM
Good lord

And I thought I had something to complain about!

Once 2 weekly is awful!!!

scottishlass
16-07-2013, 10:20 AM
If our bin is full do the lid won't shut they won't empty it! X

Bumble Beez
16-07-2013, 10:22 AM
I've had my collections changed in norfolk. Bins are emptied fortnightly & we have a food waste bin that's collected weekly. It is the worst thing they could have ever done.
The bin men don't empty it properly so we have an inch thick layer at the moment at the bottom that has started to rot. The smell & flies when you open it is disgusting. Eeeeew

I'm in Suffolk and its the same here...gross! It clearly doesn't work cos so many people I know moan about bin collections...remind me again why I pay council tax?!

On second thoughts...don't, I might rant ;)

Sarah x

unalindura77
16-07-2013, 10:24 AM
We can't leave ours out the night before as the foxes have a field day and then if they find the bag even slightly open they leave it there and refuse to take it

Mrsh3103
16-07-2013, 10:33 AM
They did it to cut down on the amount of waste going to landfill. Well it hasn't worked at all. It's the packaging that takes up the space not the left over food that slides nicely into all the gaps in the bin.
I can see us getting rats soon, the local cats are already tipping over bins that aren't locked up properly. It's driving me nuts.

They refuse to take bins where the kids won't shut properly here too.

Mrsh3103
16-07-2013, 10:34 AM
*** lids. I don't put kids in the bin, well not very often haha

hectors house
16-07-2013, 12:38 PM
Bin day here today - our green wheelie bin was only half full and it is only emptied fortnightly - I expect a quarter of that is nappies. We recycle plastic, glass, cardboard, paper, clothes & shoes which is collected once a week. I have a compost bin for all veg peelings and garden rubbish (grass, weeds) we also have a food waste collection bin, but not much goes in it as a) we don't waste food and b) we have 2 dogs.

You could get parents to take home used nappies (some pre-schools do)!

FussyElmo
16-07-2013, 12:46 PM
We have 3 wheelie bins and a box. Box for paper, grey bin for rubbish (food waste in the winter), brown bin for garden and food waste, blue bin for recycling. All are emptied once a fortnight.

The blue bin does have to be stood on to fit all the recycling in :D

Tazmin68
16-07-2013, 12:48 PM
We had wheelie bins introduced about 6 weeks ago as first trial area in Birmingham. I did used to go to tip with a bag in middle of the week. Normal rubbish is still collected weekly and I just about manage the bin is usually about 80 per cent full. Recycling bin is fortnightly not a problem for the glass and plastic but the small paper pod that fits inside is useless I could fill it twice over and end up taking the extra to paper recycling bank at supermarket.

Deb

Daftbat
16-07-2013, 12:54 PM
We have rubbish collected fortnightly and have a recycling bin too. I have 17 kids on my books as well as my family and to be honest its not a problem. The rubbish bin is full by the end of the fortnight but not overly so. The recycling one is usually full to the brim too. I get my bins washed by a jet washing company after they have been emptied and that sorts out any smells - only costs me £1.70 per 2 weeks for each bin (don't often need to do the recycling one).

I think if I can do it - anyone can. I do feel sorry for people who have bags rather than wheelie bins though.

Mrsh3103
16-07-2013, 12:55 PM
Recycling here is awful. The only things that can ho in the recycling bin are plastic bottles, cardboard & paper. Everything else goes in normal waste bin. It would have made more sense for them to collect more recycling than the food waste but hey ho.

Bumble Beez
16-07-2013, 01:04 PM
Recycling here is awful. The only things that can ho in the recycling bin are plastic bottles, cardboard & paper. Everything else goes in normal waste bin. It would have made more sense for them to collect more recycling than the food waste but hey ho.

I don't understand why we haven't been given the opportunity to recycle glass, clothing, textiles etc and have it collected with our bins...
I use the local bottle banks which aren't far, probably about 10 minute walk away, but think how many more people would recycle if it was collected from their house?
I also go to the tip every now and then with textiles and clothing...but have to make an effort to drive up there :)

Sarah x

jackie 7
16-07-2013, 01:05 PM
i am so lucky. I live in flat and we have huge bins. no one would dare complain to me about nappies as i move the huge bins around as the weak useless young people who live here cant walk 2 steps to use an empty bin. other people throw the rubbish over the fence instead of opening the door.

Supernanny86
16-07-2013, 01:37 PM
Same as here in herts, but we were allowed a bigger bin for having a certain number in the house. Think you can buy extra aslong as its in one of their bins they'll empty it?? Have you tried ringing the council and asking if there's a chance of a bigger bin? Or could you put nappies separate and dispose of at the tip yourself? Know its hassle but they do pong in this heat!! ;)