PDA

View Full Version : Calculating Annual Leave

unalindura77
16-07-2013, 09:17 AM
How do you do this when you are self employed?

Does it go from April to April?

Or from the start of each contract for 12 months

Please help.

dette
16-07-2013, 09:19 AM
you can take as much or as little as you want..you are the boss !
obviously you would be very unpopular if you were off too much but it is your call

Kiddleywinks
16-07-2013, 09:24 AM
As a self employed person you decide how much or how little time off you want, and between what period you want to take it.
I give parents my holiday dates in the January but am pretty standard in when I take my holiday: one week at easter (DD's Birthday), two in the school summer holidays, and the period between Christmas Eve and New Years Day.

Bumble Beez
16-07-2013, 09:26 AM
I don't do a holiday calculation...I take what I need, when I need it. I always give so much notice that its never a problem anyway!
I like being my own boss and giving myself holidays, although some years I feel that I don't take enough :)

Sarah x

unalindura77
16-07-2013, 09:31 AM
Wow thanks guys.

I'm going to take 5 weeks a year, will I have to put this in my contract and how I plan to take it? April-April for example?

Kiddleywinks
16-07-2013, 09:38 AM
If that works for you :thumbsup:

scottishlass
16-07-2013, 09:43 AM
I am the same - take roughly week at Easter, 2 weeks in summer and 2 weeks at Christmas and new year and I give my dates for the year in jan xx

Tealady
16-07-2013, 09:47 AM
I would, just so as parents know where they stand. It just stops confusion, otherwise depending on when and how long you take off it might look like you have taken more holiday than you said you were going to.

I run my holiday per Calendar year, but parents go by 12mth from when contract was signed.

unalindura77
16-07-2013, 09:50 AM
So I could say I take 5 weeks holiday from April to April regardless of when they start?

As I am planning to start in September, what do you think would be a fair amount of weeks from Sept - Apr?

unalindura77
16-07-2013, 09:52 AM
Think I may take annual leave from the start of each contract for the next 12 months..

WibbleWobble
16-07-2013, 09:57 AM
So I could say I take 5 weeks holiday from April to April regardless of when they start?

As I am planning to start in September, what do you think would be a fair amount of weeks from Sept - Apr?

i would take at least 2 weeks...

i work april to april

i take 2 weeks summer, one week christmas, one week easter and a week at a half term....that week changes year to year (this year it is october so we will be decorating)

i dont work bank hols so sometimes i actually dont take the full 5 weeks as some is made up by BHs.

i dont charge for my holidays but i charge for theirs if not taken at same time as mine.

i am just about to give my holidays for september onwards....(oct 1/2 term christmas and easter) and a reminder for my summer hols. I take hols during school hols as i have a lot of TTO

wibble the lazy moo! xxx

Mrsh3103
16-07-2013, 09:58 AM
I take mine January to January. I have a lo starting in September. I haven't worked out what is fair for me to take. I've just told them I'm away October half term & not working over Xmas. I will give them the dates for next year in January.

dette
16-07-2013, 12:06 PM
I print off a calendar every January with my full years holidays on.DH books his on the first day back after xmas .Any new parents are given a copy of this when they start .This works great for us.Parents get loads of notice and most book theirs for when i'm off so they're not stuck for childcare