PDA

View Full Version : behaviour management for an 11yr old boy, help needed please

ziggy
16-07-2013, 07:43 AM
I have 11yr old coming today, minded him since he was 2. Last week he was away at camp and his brother and sister were no trouble. There are all due at 9am plus i will have 4 little ones (youngest being 6months)

If mindees fight, wont share etc etc they are given a warning then they have to come and sit next to me until behaviour improves.

Obviously this wont work for 11yr old, so any suggestions please. I tried talking about safety etc with him the last time he was here but he just ended up not speaking to me for 3 hours.

ziggy
16-07-2013, 10:17 AM
Please anybody???? lol

actually he has been really good today :clapping:

kellyskidz!
16-07-2013, 10:21 AM
I find with older ones taking away privileges usually does the trick, if he likes to play computer games, watch Tv or go outside that's great but if he misbehaves, nope. Has he got enough to do to keep him from getting bored and causing trouble. I don't mind over 8s personally because I think they'd find the toys I have boring, as they range from baby toys to 7+ boards games, homework games etc. but if he's older and has thing to keep him occupied he might surprise you!
Also give him responsibilities, such as could you help me do this, or that, he might want to feel grown up. Good luck :thumbsup:

kellyskidz!
16-07-2013, 10:23 AM
Also find out what he likes and go with that, if he likes painting or drawing you're sorted for at least 2 activities and can extend on these ideas, or he might like animals, if you have any pets he could help out with them. All these things I'm thinking are to hopefully keep him out of trouble, if he does play up just say that's a shame, there's no *insert something he likes doing* until you can prove you can behave again xx

ziggy
16-07-2013, 10:28 AM
Thanks i will try that, I dont allow computer games and only have c beebies on ( i know i'm a grumpy old mare lol) BUT there are other things he likes doing which i can withhold if he causes a problem.

kellyskidz!
16-07-2013, 10:33 AM
Thanks i will try that, I dont allow computer games and only have c beebies on ( i know i'm a grumpy old mare lol) BUT there are other things he likes doing which i can withhold if he causes a problem.

No I don't mean hand held games which I find anti social, but I'm a big technology fan and think its important for the kids to be up to date with tech-y things. I let them use the Wii, for exercise, great for tiring them out in winter, or the iPad where they can create artwork, read simple books or send emails to Mum and Dad. I sure older kids will be interested in this type of thing as its their generations yo-yo or skipping rope. Speaking of which, outdoor equipment too could be great for your 11 year old? Football net? Basketball hoop. Maybe looking after over 8s isn't such a bad idea after all lol!xx

scottishlass
16-07-2013, 10:50 AM
My daughter is now 11 and is such a grump and doesn't want to join in with anything - for that reason I don't take anyone on this age as I know would be too much like hard work! Lol

My youngest is 7 and will happily play with anyone any age but my oldest will only play with her friends or the babies!

ziggy
16-07-2013, 11:04 AM
No I don't mean hand held games which I find anti social, but I'm a big technology fan and think its important for the kids to be up to date with tech-y things. I let them use the Wii, for exercise, great for tiring them out in winter, or the iPad where they can create artwork, read simple books or send emails to Mum and Dad. I sure older kids will be interested in this type of thing as its their generations yo-yo or skipping rope. Speaking of which, outdoor equipment too could be great for your 11 year old? Football net? Basketball hoop. Maybe looking after over 8s isn't such a bad idea after all lol!xx

oh dear, I feel very old now, i dont have any of those things except my own lap top which I let him use once but he nearly dropped it on the floor trying to run away from his brother with it in his hands:angry:

thank you for suggestions though

kellyskidz!
16-07-2013, 11:19 AM
oh dear, I feel very old now, i dont have any of those things except my own lap top which I let him use once but he nearly dropped it on the floor trying to run away from his brother with it in his hands:angry:

thank you for suggestions though

No, I'm just too tech-y for my own good (mind you I don't even know how to work the iPad, the kids show me lol) we do love natural play too, especially getting out and about outside, it would be rude to stay indoors, especially today:cool::cool:

sarah707
16-07-2013, 04:58 PM
Children use laptop (they have their own log in) and tablet here - but they sit on the sofa with it on their knee and it gets taken away if they start shuffling around - they certainly don't walk around with my expensive equipment!! I think ground rules - and then let him be. He will be feeling a bit put out having to go to a childminder I imagine.

Hope it went ok xx