Happy land space set
Martians game
Space sensory tray
Space discovery bottle
Some space photos
Some non fiction books
Stars in a jar
Buzz light year dress up

Need some ideas for fiction books and anything else you think would be good to include please.

hectors house
15-07-2013, 07:03 PM
Oh dear my mind has gone - what's that book with the bear in the cardboard box with a colandar on his head who goes to the moon? Also lots of books about a space man who commutes to the moon each day for work - man called something like Dave "Dave on the moon"? Sorry hopefully someone else who knows what im on about will come along soon! Do a search on amazon for kids fiction books about space.

So obviously you are going to need a cardboard box and a colander!:D

Just checked on amazon myself as wasn't going to sleep until I found it "The man on the moon" title by Simon Bartram is about a man called Bob - not Dave!
the other book is called "Whatever Next" by Jill Murphy

loocyloo
15-07-2013, 07:09 PM
5 little men in a flying saucer book and glove puppet

alien tea on planet zum zee http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alien-Planet-Zum-Zee-Tony-Mitton/dp/1408314134/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373915091&sr=8-1&keywords=alien+tea+on+planet+zum+zee

Q pootle 5 ( I LOVE this book :D ) Q Pootle 5: Amazon.co.uk: Nick Butterworth: Books (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Q-Pootle-5-Nick-Butterworth/dp/0007172354/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1373915134&sr=1-1&keywords=q+pootle+5)

and good old 'aliens love underpants' plus 'aliens love underpants save the world'

whatever next is a good book about using your imagination Whatever Next!: Amazon.co.uk: Jill Murphy: Books (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Whatever-Next-Jill-Murphy/dp/0230015476/ref=pd_sim_b_12)

I got a floor puzzle that has all the planets on it and stretches out for a couple of metres! think it was from boots originally, but I got it at a jumble sale!

loocyloo
15-07-2013, 07:10 PM
Oh dear my mind has gone - what's that book with the bear in the cardboard box with a colandar on his head who goes to the moon? Also lots of books about a space man who commutes to the moon each day for work - man called something like Dave "Dave on the moon"? Sorry hopefully someone else who knows what im on about will come along soon! Do a search on amazon for kids fiction books about space.

So obviously you are going to need a cardboard box and a colander!:D

Just checked on amazon myself as wasn't going to sleep until I found it "The man on the moon" title by Simon Bartram is about a man called Bob - not Dave!
the other book is called "Whatever Next" by Jill Murphy

great minds think alike :D

hectors house
15-07-2013, 07:16 PM
great minds think alike :D

Yes but you wouldn't believe I used to work in a library would you - can't remember the title of such a well known book!:D

Mrs Scrubbit
15-07-2013, 10:13 PM
The Aliens Are Coming and Laura's Star are nice books, hth x

zippy
16-07-2013, 12:08 PM
Thanks everyone, knew I could count on you lot lol

Kirstylob
16-07-2013, 12:46 PM
So far I have
Happy land space set
Martians game
Space sensory tray
Space discovery bottle
Some space photos
Some non fiction books
Stars in a jar
Buzz light year dress up

Need some ideas for fiction books and anything else you think would be good to include please.

Can I ask what is a Space discovery bottle and Stars in a jar?
Thanks

zippy
17-07-2013, 12:34 PM
Can I ask what is a Space discovery bottle and Stars in a jar?
Thanks

For a space discovery bottle I have put in a little black sand, silver glitter and some glow in the dark stars in with some baby oil and water and glued the lid on.

Stars in a jar, is a big plastic jar and on the inside I have dotted glow in the dark paint glued the lid on, looks fab in a dark den.

Melanyweb
17-07-2013, 01:22 PM
What about the aliens love underpants books. We've had to read them at least 15 times this week!!!!! I'm sick of them tbh.

Kirstylob
17-07-2013, 04:24 PM
For a space discovery bottle I have put in a little black sand, silver glitter and some glow in the dark stars in with some baby oil and water and glued the lid on.

Stars in a jar, is a big plastic jar and on the inside I have dotted glow in the dark paint glued the lid on, looks fab in a dark den.

Love the idea, definitely another one to pinch!

zippy
10-01-2014, 11:19 PM
Any more space ideas, thinking of getting one of those doodle glow dens when they come down in price a bit

zippy
10-01-2014, 11:20 PM
Would like to find some playdough mats I can laminate if anyone knows of any some with a maths theme, like make 4 flying saucers etc

Mrs Scrubbit
10-01-2014, 11:29 PM
When we did a space theme we had 'computer time' and searched for, found and watched video footage of rocket/shuttle launches, the children really loved it! xx

blue bear
10-01-2014, 11:37 PM
Dont know if I can describe this but I will try.
Prop for five little men in a flying saucer.
Draw a space ship on cardboard,make it as big as toucan on the piece of cardboard you use if it a4 size. (I use a cereal box) cut it out, cut three circle (or five) along the middle in a line to look like windows,
On a separate piece draw three or five more circles slightly bigger than the windows and draw a little man on each.

Cover the space ship in tin foil.

On each of the circles at the bottom make a hole and also underneath each window, attach the men circles behind each window using a split pin.
When you sing you can turn the men circle down as he flies away.

The tougher the cardboard the better.

Another idea is to make a planet mobile, print out each planet let the children, paint, glue,colour etc and make into a mobile using wire coat hangers.

What about a space blanket (foil first aid thing get from pound land or camping shops )

FloraDora
11-01-2014, 08:12 AM
Cbeebies stargazing has been on every night this week at 5pm - the first one is really good ...you can still get it in iplayer. We copied the children, wrapped up, sat in garden seats with blankets and enjoyed looking at the stars whilst drinking warm berry drink.

Old fashioned, but I like Goodnight moon.
Good activities linked with this here: Goodnight Moon Activities for Toddlers (http://www.two-daloo.com/goodnight-moon-activities-for-toddlers/)

However, like others Whatever next is my favourite and you can rein act it so easily with a cardboard box and a colander .

We have created a moon scape in a big box this week, stuck glow planets and stars, hours of fun with our spacemen and rocket. Taken photos of the stars, just before home time and used these photos as a basis for small world and art work - and stuck the photo of the moon in our moonscape.

Beware of talking / reading too much about aliens though as young children sometimes end up thinking they really exist alongside the spacemen, exploring space, ever the teacher, I like to get my facts straight!! Of course you may believe there are aliens in space..........

Maza
11-01-2014, 08:21 AM
Have you tried Sparklebox? There are some space themed number cards on there. Probably some playdough mats too.

loocyloo
11-01-2014, 08:48 AM
****** have some lovely space resources too. Plus props/ideas for stories.

Maza
11-01-2014, 09:25 AM
How about making some moon and star templates from cardboard. Cookie cutters in the shape of moons and stars? Depending on how old the children are you could do rocket balloons - string tied from one end of the room/garden to the other, a drawn rocket attached to a balloon, balloon attached to the string by a straw etc etc - I can't really explain it but if you google it you should get a better explanation with pictures. We used to love this!

loocyloo
11-01-2014, 01:19 PM
Just seen some space puzzles in Wilkinson s sale:-)