PDA

View Full Version : What's first aid course like?

Petshrinklj
15-07-2013, 05:46 PM
I'm getting anxious. I'm doing my first aid training tomorrow and Wednesday. Not surer what to expect. What's it like?

Smileyface
15-07-2013, 05:55 PM
No need to worry its a lot of fun I was like you very nervous but honestly you be fine :)

Rick
15-07-2013, 05:57 PM
There's no test as such. They will talk through a subject, maybe demonstrate CPR or something, then they will watch you have a go. Nobody fails....unless you don't turn up or sit in the corner texting :laughing:

Oh and welcome to the green side :D

madredann
15-07-2013, 07:13 PM
They are great fun with alot of interaction which helps make it easy to remember the information there are a few video clips and on my last one a tell what rash it is game with lots of pictures of different rashes/spots very relaxed environment hope you enjoy it xx

sing-low
15-07-2013, 08:08 PM
I was nervous about mine too but it was fine. We had a laugh!

Petshrinklj
16-07-2013, 06:39 AM
Thanks all that helps me feel a bit braver. It does help that my toddler is being a little so-an-so this morning and I can think to myself in a few hours I will be on a course and I won't be looking after you. ;)

charlottenash
16-07-2013, 06:46 AM
I had a test, but nobody had failed in 20 years or something of the man doing it.

I hate things like that, but it was fine and now I'm a childminder with lots of awkward situations the next one wouldn't bother me at all.

Enjoy it it can be very interesting!

Petshrinklj
16-07-2013, 06:52 AM
I had a test, but nobody had failed in 20 years or something of the man doing it.

I hate things like that, but it was fine and now I'm a childminder with lots of awkward situations the next one wouldn't bother me at all.

Enjoy it it can be very interesting!

Was it a practical test? Or written? I'm good a written but not so much practical if i feel watched I can't think properly.

Rick
16-07-2013, 07:13 AM
Practical. Don't worry it's not difficult. You will be shown how to do something then you copy. If you make a reasonable stab then you pass!

jackie 7
16-07-2013, 07:19 AM
It depends on eho trains you. A friend had a test but I never have.

charlottenash
16-07-2013, 08:22 AM
A written test for me. A company called first4skills booked through my LA. I enjoyed it once nerves went!

Supernanny86
16-07-2013, 08:29 AM
I had a little test but it was after and online, not hard at all and apparently nobody fails. They also assessed throughout to make sure practicals were done ok but if you done it wrong they corrected you!!

I hate things like this and ended up going to London for mine as the one in Watford got cancelled, this added to the nerves but once over that I was fine!! :) :) :)

It was actually quite interesting considering it was compulsory and full of strangers!! :) :)

Tealady
16-07-2013, 09:04 AM
I've done three now with the same company.

It was a lot of fun and the chap and chapess who run the company are paramedics. They don't faff with technique too much. Life support, yes, (However even that they give you the confidence that it is hard to get wrong and doing something is better than nothing!) but things like bandages and slings they don't worry about.

Our course is like a little reunion now as we all expire at the same time we seem to book again on the same date three years down the line!

adedwards68
16-07-2013, 09:11 AM
We didn't have a test as such it was more like a quiz. We were put into teams and had various things to do. I did feel sorry for the young lad on our course surrounded by all these middle aged women! Lol

ajc
16-07-2013, 12:12 PM
Don't forget to wear something suitable, you can be crawling round on the floor doing resus on the dummies.

Mrsh3103
16-07-2013, 12:53 PM
Not wearing something suitable was the mistake I made. It was a boiling hot day so I wore a summer dress. I didn't realise I'd have to get on the floor & let people put me in the recovery position! What a bad day to be wearing my 'Bridget Jones'
Ah well you live & you learn

Petshrinklj
18-07-2013, 11:54 AM
Thanks everyone. I passed. Talk about information overload. Had a headache after lol. I'm glad it's over. I made the mistake of a baggy fronted top on last day so when I was leaning over doing CPR I was flashing my bra abit. I managed to hold my top up with one hand and do compressions with othe hand. Multitasking :)