PDA

View Full Version : Should I report another Childminder?

kimnolan87
15-07-2013, 12:17 PM
Hiya,

I know another childminder, originally she was a great help of support when I moved here and helped out with a few things however, since then, I have noticed more and more things that she really shouldn't be doing as a childminder......

She smokes and swears in front of the children.......she posts photos and videos of the mindee on Facebook and now has stated that she has slept whilst the children were sleeping!

What would you do?

Thanks,
Kim

madredann
15-07-2013, 12:27 PM
This is how I would look at it-Do you have evidence? are parents unhappy about her behaviour have they signed something to say she can put on facebook I would be careful and make sure you have the facts and evidence to back up what you are saying before you do anything x

munch149
15-07-2013, 12:36 PM
I would also check as I have permission to post in secret Facebook groups

When I was pregnant a parent gave me permission to sleep when her child did - never did as couldn't sleep in the day

swearing is a no no but is it but sometimes we slip up and I'm not sure if it was something ofsted would be able to prove or do something about

Smoking is a big no no with me but I don't know what regulations are especially if parents allow it

wendywu
15-07-2013, 12:45 PM
Smoking is not allowed in front of the children full stop. But you would need a witness or photographic evidence of her smoking while minding.

Why dont you just piont out to her that she is leaving herself open to being reported by somone if she carries on swearing and smoking while minding :panic: silly woman

The Juggler
15-07-2013, 12:58 PM
Smoking is not allowed in front of the children full stop. But you would need a witness or photographic evidence of her smoking while minding.

Why dont you just piont out to her that she is leaving herself open to being reported by somone if she carries on swearing and smoking while minding :panic: silly woman

agree with Wendy. Smoking is not allowed anywhere at any time whilst minding by anyone on your premises not just the minder. I would have thought that sleeping is not allowed under any circumstances either - regardless of parental permission and circumstances as we cannot be supervising if we are not awake.

I would do what Wendy says but if she takes no notice I would have no hestitation in reporting her. She can't prove it was you - if she's doing this publicly it coudl have been anyone

AliceK
15-07-2013, 01:00 PM
Unless you have actually seen her doing these things (smoking and swearing) then I wouldn't be doing much. IF you have seen her doing this then surely you should say something to her at that time about getting herself in trouble doing that. I think reading on here about the heartache it causes when you have a complaint made about you a childminder would have to be doing something very bad and putting the children at risk for me to report anyone.

xxxx

wendywu
15-07-2013, 09:06 PM
Unless you have actually seen her doing these things (smoking and swearing) then I wouldn't be doing much. IF you have seen her doing this then surely you should say something to her at that time about getting herself in trouble doing that. I think reading on here about the heartache it causes when you have a complaint made about you a childminder would have to be doing something very bad and putting the children at risk for me to report anyone.

xxxx

Yes you must have seen these things first hand, but as has been stated above if she lights up in front of you say something then and there. Im afraid i would not be able to keep my big mouth shut.

If she tries to grab 40 winks while you are at toddlers then just giv her a quick poke with a sharp stick :laughing::clapping:

KatieFS
15-07-2013, 09:22 PM
Smoking and swearing in front of children is not creating happy images in my mind. If we think this just think what other non childminders think. A brilliant advert for our level of professionalism. If I had seen her doing these things I would be saying something to her or reporting it. Children deserve to be protected from this behaviour.

ktdg85
15-07-2013, 09:24 PM
You definitely need to say something to her!! If my child was at the hands of that mindee and someone knew about the things she was doing and didn't report it I wouldn't be happy. I would just ask if the parents know she smokes around the kids, just as a starting point, if that's a no then chances are they wouldn't be happy with that or the rest either.

hectors house
15-07-2013, 09:31 PM
She doesn't sound very professional in her attitude to childminding and her mindees.

The smoking is a BIG no no - if she lights up in front of you while she is minding, then I would say something to her about it.

Swearing obviously isn't very good either - what sort of words does she use (no don't post them on here) but some people have different ideas about what swear words are and we all know people who use bl**dy as if it is a normal word.

I have to admit that I have crawled into my bed while mindees asleep in travel cot in same room, when I wasn't very well - I did have permission from the parents - I didn't see that it was any different from having children for overnight care.

I don't post photos of mindees on any social media websites - maybe the parents have given permission for her to do this.

charlottenash
15-07-2013, 09:46 PM
If it isn't obvious it's you, and you know her address, write her an anonymous letter stating the above points and that you feel she should improve them as you will have no choice but to report her, despite not wanting to so that under any circumstances because you know how damaging this can be? In a polite but direct way?

clareelizabeth1
15-07-2013, 09:50 PM
Swearing and smoking definitely a no no cant believe in this day and age any one would. Parents must know about the smoking though because their children will stink of it.

You should say something to her first so she has the chance to stop.

As for the sleeping I can see how it is like overnight care and I don't see it as the biggest problem if all children are asleep in cots they are safe. Although don't think its good practice. Must say when I've been Ill I've almost fallen asleep during nap time.