PDA

View Full Version : A bit of a controversial one but.....

mrsb
08-07-2008, 09:59 PM
....I work at a pre school as well as doing minding and today one of the mums asked me if from september I would have her son for just 1 hour every thursday during term time. I'm happy to do it but I'm inclined to say that I would do it as a favour rather than as a minder because I don't think 1 hour a week is really worth all the hassle of the obs and planning etc I would have to do for the lil one as he is only 3:panic:

what do you all think?

I know the mum but only through pre school but we have a good old natter if we see each other in town etc

I don't know, in the back of my mind I worry what might happen if anything were to happen to him in my care and I wasn't minding him, with insurance etc

but then I think by the time I get him home from pre school and give him his lunch it will be time for him to go home anyway.....

wendywu
08-07-2008, 10:03 PM
You would not have to do hardly anything on him for one hour a week. One obs per yearly cycle.:laughing:

sarah707
09-07-2008, 06:51 AM
You would have to show you are meeting the eyfs with the child during the time he is with you ... there are lots of learning and development goals you could meet while having lunch!!

The one which would bother me would be showing you are meeting eyfs by liaising with other settings / parents to complement his care ... i think that would be where I would find it a hassle ... but even so, you wouldn't need to do much as he wouldn't be with you for long.

I have a girl 4 hours a week and she has a scrapbook with the occasional bit of writing / photo ... but mostly I show her learning through a routine sheet, listing all the things she does, every day, as a matter of course.

Thinking about it, for less than 2 hours in any one session, you could look at the implications of saying you were providing a creche service ... I'm not sure how it works but you could ask Ofsted for more info ... 08456 404040 :D

Pedagog
09-07-2008, 07:59 AM
I wouldn't do it as a favour, but would charge, otherwise you will find that it will soon become 2 hours a week, then an hour everyday, and before you know it you will have him all the time, for free,

Tatia
09-07-2008, 09:27 AM
Your planning would be simple. Lunch. Obs could be like Sarah mentioned, a little folder with some photos (of different lunches, haha), maybe the occasional anecdote if he does or says something funny with you. I'd keep it very simple but I would definitely charge. For your insurance to be effective, you have to be minding him and to be minding him, you have to be showing some thought for EYFS so it's a bit of a sticky wicket, isn't it?

Ohmegawd, did I just say sticky wicket? :rolleyes: And more importantly, did I use the term correctly?:laughing:

sarah707
09-07-2008, 10:40 AM
Ohmegawd, did I just say sticky wicket? :rolleyes: And more importantly, did I use the term correctly?:laughing:

:laughing: :laughing:

mrsb
09-07-2008, 03:14 PM
I wouldn't do it as a favour, but would charge, otherwise you will find that it will soon become 2 hours a week, then an hour everyday, and before you know it you will have him all the time, for free,

It definately wouldn't become longer because I would bring him home from pre school at 11.30 then take him back for the afternoon sessions at 12.30 :)

Thanks everyone though, Sarah thanks for that too, i'll give them a call and see what they say :)