PDA

View Full Version : Progress Summary/Check for 2 year olds

lorettacritchet
15-07-2013, 06:52 AM
Hi,

I officially have my first 2 year progress check to do and I have a template which I made. My only query is and what I am trying to establish is how do I do it? Is it over one particular day or a month? I only have this child once a week and the following week twice. I already know where her strengths and weaknesses are and it's unfortunate that this child is very weak at most of her stages i.e. her mum says she talks at home but she comes here and all I hear are words like "baby" or "bye" and not even a hint of joining words.

Bumble Beez
15-07-2013, 06:56 AM
This thread might help...

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/sarah-neville-e-books/104150-2-year-progress-check.html

I do mine as a summary of where they are up to...not just a day or week snapshot.

Sarah x

sarah707
15-07-2013, 07:01 AM
Use your observations and assessments of the child's learning over the last few months - plus Development Matters - and paint a picture of how brilliant the child is and how well they are progressing.

If you have any concerns, gently introduce them - they shouldn't be a surprise to parents - so you can discuss together how you are supporting the child :D

madredann
15-07-2013, 12:35 PM
I have just done one of these and found it really helpful I invited parents in to discuss what it was all about and we touched on some points such as dummy, potty training and how we were going to work together on these points It took me a while to word everything in a good way but with this check you have to put next steps and areas you are working on which can sound a bit critical to a parent but if you explain how you are going to help and support the child with particular issues it will be evident that the childs welfare is at the heart of everything still x

Wee Care
15-07-2013, 01:22 PM
Sorry to hi-jack this post but didn't want to start a new thread on the same subject.

I am due to have a little boy start with me at the beginning of August for two days a week (subject to contracts being signed on Wednesday). He is currently with another childminder but she was unable to accommodate the mothers change in days/hours so she has given her notice. The little boy will be about 2 years 8 months by the time he starts with me and I am not sure if the previous childminder has done the two year progress check for him. Would it be reasonable for me to ask for the current childminder to do the check if she hasn't already as I feel she would have a better picture of his development for the majority of the time between 2-3 years of age.