PDA

View Full Version : Help I'm drowning in bottle tops

Petshrinklj
14-07-2013, 07:54 PM
I've been keeping plastic bottle tops as the recycling firm here will only take bottles without lids on. Ive Been keeping them as I'm sure I could do something fun and crafty with them. Anyone any suggestions? Ta my dears :)

blue bear
14-07-2013, 08:04 PM
Punch holes in them And do threading, maybe a hungry caterpillar?

loocyloo
14-07-2013, 08:13 PM
I have stuck numbers on some of mine; a blue set & a red set.

I've just bought some glittery alphabet stickers from baker ross to do the same :D i'm going to do lower & upper case.

there are some in the sand pit and water tray ...
initially I had them in the tuff spot along with some sand to make patterns with!

some others I stuck foam shapes onto and they get used for printing.

I heated up a metal skewer and used that to make holes in the lids so they could be used for threading.

I have the rest in a big tub and they get used for sorting and posting - down wrapping paper tubes, into pringles tubes with holes cut in lids, into a mini swing bin, filling buckets and baskets and bags ( used as money in role play ) I have red, blue and green, plus a few purple and orange ones! ( not sure where they came from! )

to be honest, I find I have milk bottle lids EVERYWHERE!

teacakepenguin
14-07-2013, 08:14 PM
I used a load of mine in the bottom of plant pots when we planted some flowers earlier in the year :)

MessybutHappy
14-07-2013, 08:25 PM
Oooh! At long last I have an excuse for eating pringles!!!! Yay!!!

kimnolan87
14-07-2013, 08:25 PM
I have too have been saving lids of all varieties and had some ideas when I started collected, but then nothing ever got done with them!!! Thanks for some fab ideas ;) xxx

Katiekoo
14-07-2013, 08:28 PM
My daughter has me collecting them to make a peacock costume! I have no idea what she has in mind or how to make one, good idea for using up bottle tops I guess?!?

Katiekoo
14-07-2013, 08:35 PM
Idea :idea:
Category: Bottle Caps Exhibit - My simple Bali life (http://www.shierley.com/1/category/bottle%20caps%20exhibit/1.html)

k1rstie
14-07-2013, 08:40 PM
My school collects milk lids for the air ambulance, but you need something like a ton for them to get £25.

I recycle mine at my local military museum, where they use them for the weight in plastic bag parachutes. Whenever we go, I just add my bag to their pile!

They also drill holes in them and put socks through them to make vehicles.

My kids put holes in a load, and threaded them onto string and made a long caterpillar thing that is very tactile and good or counting.

bunyip
14-07-2013, 09:05 PM
I've been keeping plastic bottle tops as the recycling firm here will only take bottles without lids on. Ive Been keeping them as I'm sure I could do something fun and crafty with them. Anyone any suggestions? Ta my dears :)

Lush shops will take plastic bottle tops for recycling. The plastic (type 2) is the same as many of their containers. They also trade in 6 of their standard pots for a free face mask.

.........which is why the bunyip has such baby's-bottom-soft cheeks. :)

Stapleton83
14-07-2013, 09:07 PM
We have used them for sticking numbers and letters on.

Used them as stampers for painting.

used them instead of pretend money when we have been playing shops

A CM friend saved hers up and then made a massive dragon or dinosaur out of them ...

The world is your oyster or should that be bottle top

Sam x

butterfly
14-07-2013, 09:14 PM
I've written a whole ebook about ways to use milk bottle tops!

Petshrinklj
15-07-2013, 08:36 AM
Idea :idea:
Category: Bottle Caps Exhibit - My simple Bali life (http://www.shierley.com/1/category/bottle%20caps%20exhibit/1.html)

Wow! Lol I don't have that many Hee Hee

Petshrinklj
15-07-2013, 08:39 AM
They also drill holes in them and put socks through them to make vehicles. .

Do you have a photo or could you decsribe some more please. Trying to picture socks and bottle tops looking like a vehicle. It sounds like something I'd like to try but can't work out how it works. Ta :)

Petshrinklj
15-07-2013, 08:40 AM
Thanks everyone for your great ideas. I think we will have a bottletoptastic afternoon. :)

VeggieSausage
15-07-2013, 08:47 AM
Colour sorting, old tubs, paint the bottom a particular colour and then get children to sort the tops into each colour......

JulieA
15-07-2013, 12:18 PM
I've written a whole ebook about ways to use milk bottle tops!

Have you, Butterfly? How did I miss that?