PDA

View Full Version : What do you supply??

EmmaReed84
14-07-2013, 07:07 PM
When I first started minding I was quite lucky in that I had a couple of car seats and a highchair and pushchair, also my first client had a double pushchair and left it with me for the week and took it at weekends.

The highchair I had, I no longer needed, plus it had seen better days, so gave it away (thinking I was stopping minding). The car seats are all now transformed in to booster seats, which are all used (plus again I threw away the harness thinking I would no longer need it)

I have a potential new client coming round on Friday and after much debating with DH I am stuck on what to do. MIL is a childminder and is telling DH that parents should provide everything, but I would rather have my own stuff, just in case parents forget to bring things, or I break it! (She does have her own highchair, but she means pushchair and car seat)

Plus, not all parents have spare car seats and I don't fancy having to get them in and out all the time!

I want to get a pushchair, car seat and highchair, altogether it will cost me £150, if this new parent starts her deposit will more than cover it!

What do you think is best to do, what do you supply and what do you expect your parents to supply?

Sweetpea
14-07-2013, 07:11 PM
I would only be happy using my own car seats.

I would be paranoid about anyone else's as I wouldn't know their history.

I wouldn't really expect a parent to supply their own Highchair. I would prefer to get the one that I know would suit the child in my own home which may be different from their own.

Sweetpea x

lizduncan72
14-07-2013, 07:14 PM
I've always provided all equipment since I started-current baby's parents leave car seat since dad drops off and mum collects but I still prefer to use my own

Koala
14-07-2013, 07:14 PM
I provide everything.
I know where it's been, I know i've got it and I know it's clean, that in itself is worth every penny. :thumbsup:

AgentTink
14-07-2013, 07:19 PM
I supply all equipment so that is fits me needs. It would be a logisical nightmare if i had everyone's single pram's, different size car seats and huge highchairs. The only thing i would ask to be supplied is a child who is in a new born backwards facing car seat, as i dont have one of those and as they are so dependant on size of child, i would rather not spend the money on one of these. Most of these types are designed to be easily put in and out of cars, so wouldnt be too much bother.

WibbleWobble
14-07-2013, 07:24 PM
i supply everything...

wibble x

AliceK
14-07-2013, 07:48 PM
I supply everything. I would be a bit put out if I went to use a childminder and she / he asked me to supply anything like that tbh. Surely it's our tools of the job and we should be supplying them?

xxxx

charlottenash
14-07-2013, 07:49 PM
Everything here.

kellib
14-07-2013, 07:50 PM
I supply everything too

migimoo
14-07-2013, 08:02 PM
Me too....2 of my parents have to leave their pushchairs here each day and that's bad enough!

greanan
14-07-2013, 08:09 PM
I supply everything aswell. I'm not sure a highchair would even fit in mist people's cars?

bunyip
14-07-2013, 08:14 PM
I recently had a very tricky situation where the client of one of my CM group members asked me to take on her child cos her CM was demanding she buy her a new pushchair or accept immediate notice and pay the month's fee. I was amazed at this, as I'd taken it as read that we are businesses and therefore provide our own equipment, but the CM seemed to consider it quite a natural thing to demand. Rather than take the lo on, I referred mum to the FIS list of providers. It would've caused untold aggro with the local CM mafia had I signed her up. But that was never going to happen, mainly because the lo and my granddaughter go to toddler group together and just do not get on.

One of my clients insisted on me using a pushchair she supplied for her lo, cos seemed concerned that the child needed to use one she was familiar with. She ended up giving it to me, which was nice, but I wouldn't have asked her to do so.

I do ask parents to provide their own nappies/pull-ups, because they all want particular brands and I don't have room to bulk store lots of nappy brands. Similarly with baby wipes, they either use whatever I have or supply a particular brand if so inclined.

loocyloo
14-07-2013, 08:18 PM
I supply everything except nappies and formula!

I like to know that the equipment is safe and clean, and fits in my car!

even if babe comes in their own car seat, I transfer them to mine to go in my car!

blue bear
14-07-2013, 08:43 PM
I have all my own stiff, lots of parents offer though and seem to think this is how things should be.personally I prefer my own things.

Stapleton83
14-07-2013, 08:48 PM
I would agree all the kit like car seats, highchair, travel cot etc are mine that way I know I have it in place for the next child and that they fit with my needs. I ask them to supply nappies and formula.

Sam x

oxfordshirecm
14-07-2013, 08:49 PM
I supply everything too... These things are worth investing it and normally a one of cost

Mrsh3103
14-07-2013, 09:06 PM
I supply everything too. :)

butterfly
14-07-2013, 09:16 PM
I supply absolutely everything!

marnieb
14-07-2013, 09:18 PM
Yes I supply everything too, I don't have time at drop offs & pick ups to be mucking about with equipment!!!!!! Nappies & formula if under 1 are the only things my parents need to bring, I have even just bought a new single buggy for the summer holidays for mindees

lozzy23
14-07-2013, 09:28 PM
I supply everything as well.

amanda1309
14-07-2013, 09:48 PM
I supply everything apart from nappies

clareelizabeth1
14-07-2013, 10:00 PM
Parents supply nappies wet wipes food and suitable clothing.

I have my own highchair one so its always there two so I know it's clean

I use my own pushchair again so I know it's clean (pet hate is a mouldy food pushchair) two most pushchairs don't go through fields mine is the monster truck of pushchairs and parents taking a pushchair to and from mine each day would be extra agro I don't need.

Cars seats is a safety thing. I like to know if any accidents have happened that they are fitted correctly. Some parents smoke and I don't want a smoky seat in my car. Again the clean thing I'm a little OCD. I once did use a parents car seat and asked them to put it in so it was in right. They managed to trap the seat belt in the car seat and we couldn't get the seat out of the car. They went home with my car seat. So never again.

Tinkerbell1979
14-07-2013, 10:12 PM
I supply all equipment...high chairs, boosters, travel cots, prams, car seats etc.

All parents supply are nappies, wipes & suncream

munch149
15-07-2013, 06:51 AM
Don't see how you can ask for buggy unless got two from same family as eventually you might need a double and everyone would only have singles if only one lo

Bumble Beez
15-07-2013, 07:13 AM
I supply everything...only thinks that parents supply is nappies, wipes, sun cream, etc...

Sarah x

Kiddleywinks
15-07-2013, 07:19 AM
I supply everything from equipment to wipes, parent provides the child ;)

As far as equipment is concerned, I buy it, I know the history, if it gets broken or damaged it's my problem not parents, and I know I have the right stuff for the right age group.

Samijanec
15-07-2013, 07:45 AM
I supply everything also.

jackie 7
15-07-2013, 08:13 AM
I supply all equipment. If I have 3 I need a triple pushchair. A nanny would expect the equipment to be provided but they work in parents home. I don't like using a parents buggy as I worry I might break it.

Jenna
15-07-2013, 08:38 AM
I supply all equipment once I did have to ask one parent if we could borrow car seat for the day as DH had taken one of mine to work in his car as he'd had ds on weekend and all was fine. I just like my own stuff u get used to how the car seats all fit in the car, how u fold prams. What would happen if u broke mindees own car seat or buggy

hectors house
15-07-2013, 08:44 AM
The only thing I use that belongs to parent is carry car seat - as they arrive in them and may be asleep then we go to toddlers, so easier to leave them in own seat. Other than that parents supply nappies, are supposed to supply wet wipes but often find pack only has 2 left in it (for whole day), suncream and sun hats (but one today hasn't brought hat) so down to me to find one to fit again :angry:

covgalxxx
15-07-2013, 11:09 AM
I'm pre- reg and I got a 7 months baby, I am keeping everything and buy neural colours, my baby is a little girl and last but everything I got I can use for a baby, my only thing I would buy depending on what child I got, is a double pushchair and a second high chair , also need to buy a play pen, cause even if there older children, my daughter is save, I don't drive so don't need to worry about car seats...

munch149
15-07-2013, 12:11 PM
I'm pre- reg and I got a 7 months baby, I am keeping everything and buy neural colours, my baby is a little girl and last but everything I got I can use for a baby, my only thing I would buy depending on what child I got, is a double pushchair and a second high chair , also need to buy a play pen, cause even if there older children, my daughter is save, I don't drive so don't need to worry about car seats...

Please remember you should buy things you want for your own child too occasionally and not just something because its neutral. I got so bad with this I even started thinking about buying neutral colours for my daughters birthday presents so it can be reused when she's older but then I thought no there for her what would she like. My single pram is black with some pink on but would put a boy in it. My double is neutral. Toys are half and half. I keep large stuff neutral
For myself too as plan on having more children just don't let It rule decisions

madredann
15-07-2013, 12:20 PM
I have my own equipment highchairs booster seats travel cot and puschairs/carseats I would not expect parents to provide these but if they wanted to that would be fine too. When children are under 1 they generally come in there car seats so I am happy to use these in the car so long as parents show me how to put them in. I expect parents to provide daily things like milk and nappies but i provide baby wipes now as got so fed up of children coming without them lol and to be fair I use alot more to wipe than parents probably do. I also expect change of clothes and seasonal clthing for outdoor play xx

covgalxxx
15-07-2013, 05:41 PM
Please remember you should buy things you want for your own child too occasionally and not just something because its neutral. I got so bad with this I even started thinking about buying neutral colours for my daughters birthday presents so it can be reused when she's older but then I thought no there for her what would she like. My single pram is black with some pink on but would put a boy in it. My double is neutral. Toys are half and half. I keep large stuff neutral
For myself too as plan on having more children just don't let It rule decisions

Oh no don't worry her pushchair is purple which is hers, her toys are brought for her some of them are pink, but the things like highchairs and baby bouncers ,car seats cost so much so when's brought I just made sure I can use again instead of going second hand for the kids I will have and as well your used to them and you know how they work,someone asked how to close there pushchair the other day I didn't have a clue.. No this is my last child 4 is enough my other daughter got her toys like her lego( super hero ) that she doesn't want to share and it cost a lot, I believe they should have there own stuff as well

Samijanec
15-07-2013, 06:18 PM
My sons toys stay up stairs during the week. All Christmas presents and birthday presents stay in his room until the weekend, hen each Christmas we bring his stuff down and his new presents take their place in his room. This gives me a constant rotation of newer toys.

Lilylulu
15-07-2013, 07:46 PM
I supply everything from equipment to wipes, parent provides the child ;)

As far as equipment is concerned, I buy it, I know the history, if it gets broken or damaged it's my problem not parents, and I know I have the right stuff for the right age group.

Exactly, it makes the job easier if you have the right stuff without nagging parents. We supply absolutely everything except formula milk - even down to sunhats, wellies etc - losing a child's sunhat causes hassle and some parents are hit and miss with what they bring, so we have spares of everything from clothes to prams.

lisa1968
15-07-2013, 08:11 PM
I supply everything apart from food and nappies!
It would be a nightmare taking car seats,pushchairs,highchairs etc from parents then having to give them back again.And at least I know how all my equipment works and whether its had any accidents etc.Would not like to be responsible for any damage to parents equipment either.
HTH x