PDA

View Full Version : Family and Childcare Trust Holiday care survey

Simona
14-07-2013, 05:02 PM
Family and Childcare Trust are publishing the results of their survey on holiday care costs...so lets prepare for another bashing on costs
They have just tweeted that for 2 children for 4 weeks it would cost parents £850...sounds a lot?

well.... broken down it is £425 for 4 weeks which is £106.25 per week
That amount divided by 50 hours = £2.12 per hour

Can someone double check because I do not for one minute believe that is expensive?.... and frankly I am getting fed up with being told we are expensive!!

These people have no idea what is involved in caring for children, our costs and paperwork and why should we subsidise parents or childcare and education in general?

This has spoilt an otherwise lovely day!

Koala
14-07-2013, 05:54 PM
Too right, totally agree.

MessybutHappy
14-07-2013, 08:46 PM
Agree..especially when lots can claim child tax credits which help with the costs! Having children IS expensive!!!

Stapleton83
14-07-2013, 08:50 PM
Agreed it seems like we are an easy target at the moment, at the end of the day they want their children to be looked after and fed in a nice environment and we are a business.

Sam x

Simona
14-07-2013, 09:15 PM
This is The Telegraph article on costs...makes me want to scream

Summer child care costs hit new high - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/10178091/Summer-child-care-costs-hit-new-high.html)

maisiemog
15-07-2013, 07:52 AM
It makes me so cross. I charge £3.50 per hour and include trips and food etc in that. I've worked out that after all my costs I only make about £1.90 an hr on average per child. I would like to see how many of our parents would work for that hourly rate?

Simona
15-07-2013, 08:18 AM
It has been in the news this morning and it is obvious the issue is one sided and in favour of parents thus fuelling the cost crisis
I cannot see how care at £2 is high quality...it may be affordable to parents but not to providers...it is cheap labour

I approached my LA to advertise my holiday care and got nowhere, I approached the school I collect from for the same purpose and was told the headteacher could not 'endorse' me as a registered cm...totally unacceptable

I am off to call Nursery World and ask them to report accurately and research better not join those who wish to make headlines....someone ought to speak for us

Parents face £100 a week holiday childcare bill | Nursery World (http://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/article/1190624/parents-face-100-week-holiday-childcare-bill?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

Simona
15-07-2013, 11:00 AM
This is the Family and Childcare Trust survey

Family and Parenting Institute | 2013 Press Releases | Holiday Childcare Costs Survey 2013 released (http://www.familyandparenting.org/news/Press-releases/2013+Press+Releases/Holiday+Childcare+Costs+Survey?dm_t=0,0,0,0,0)

I have contacted them to express concerns at the way the report addresses this area of care and it appears their survey is based on what LAs have reported to them...so no one LA will be the same as the next
They have said they will contact me for further details and to look into this more in depth...sad they did not do it before they published their report?

What is your experience in providing holiday care? does your LA facilitate your advertising? what about your school...do they engage and share info with the parents who may need cover?

Nursery World said they were just reporting on the published details...it was not their report so I suggested a bit more research would give them a different view of what goes on at ground level