PDA

View Full Version : out door chalk board

Memina
13-07-2013, 10:35 PM
Hey

Want to make one but not sure what wood to use.

Ideas please.

Mx

Koala
14-07-2013, 05:32 AM
Just keep it cheep and get some treated plywood, b&Q will cut to size and if you are screwing to a fence or wall it doesn't have to be too thick but make sure its treated for outdoor or it will swell with the rain. it may need regular coats with blackboard paint until a thickness has built up but I like blackboard paint, it goes on easy, it dries quick and I love the look of new blackboards and a tin will last ages.

I love our blackboards outside - the kids make such a mess with chalks - drawing on their shoes, hands and each other and the blackboards of course, it's nice to get messy OUTSIDE.

I also frequently visit our poundland shop where they get the tubs of sidewalk chalks (big and chunky) in now and again for a pound!! :thumbsup: Bargain. I stock up on them.

Excellent recourse outdoor blackboards, ofsted love them. :thumbsup:

Chatterbox Childcare
14-07-2013, 08:38 AM
I just went to B&Q and got plywood and blackboard paint.

Bumble Beez
14-07-2013, 04:53 PM
I want one too...
What about a blackboard table? I've got a spare plastic table and chairs for the garden, maybe I'll just paint the top of it in blackboard paint?!

Sarah x

pinklady756
14-07-2013, 06:09 PM
Painting the table sounds like a brilliant idea, I wonder what surfaces the paint would work with....

Direct onto the wall/bricks perhaps....?

jfradgley1
14-07-2013, 06:53 PM
Love outdoor blackboards... I painted my shed doors with blackboard paint and the kids went crazy for it! They make such a mess, so I don't mind now, they can chalk to their hearts content... Even the patio in fri t if the shed gets coloured in!! X

kimnolan87
14-07-2013, 06:56 PM
Silly question, does the plywood come treated for outdoors, or do we need to treat it ourselves? Xxx

hectors house
15-07-2013, 12:18 PM
Silly question, does the plywood come treated for outdoors, or do we need to treat it ourselves? Xxx

There are different grades of plywood (made of different types of wood) some are smooth on one side (fine for a blackboard), some are smooth on both sides (more suitable for indoor/furniture etc) some are rough both sides (suitable for packing) best bet is to look for a Marine plywood (expensive) or one with WBP glues (water & boil proof) probably be good one side -rough on the other. Ask in a builders merchants if you want a whole 8 x 4 ft sheet (you could cut it long ways and cover a lot of fence - or in DIY store if you want to pay a bit more per sq foot but get a smaller piece. Probably needs to be at least 9 or 12 mm thick to make sure it doesn't warp.