PDA

View Full Version : Where do i stand? What to do?

Supernanny86
13-07-2013, 09:15 AM
Hope I can explain this well enough to get feedback!

I'm quite anal at making sure kids wear hats, especially in this heat! Cream them up etc!

That would usually be fine if the kids were used to this, however the lo's are not!!

I've not been letting them play out unless they wear a hat etc. I'm petrified they're burn etc.

Their mum come home early and I called one of them back to put their hat on except the mum said "oh don't worry about that, I don't make them, I'm not fussed!!" I explained the risks etc etc!

I now feel mean for keeping them in! If they won't dress appropriately they don't go out! I guess I'm having a hard time understanding this mentality! I mean she wouldn't let them out in winter without a coat??!! Surely this is the same thing?!

So my question is; do I carry on my way, or do as the mother says but write something up to say she doesn't request hats used etc incase one ends up with severe sunstroke etc? Or am I'm being too overprotective?! I think it harder as she employs me, but the point is surely I have to protect the kids?!

I welcome your view points as I'm considering telling the mum on Monday that I won't allow them to play out, unless they're appropriately dressed but she can do as she wants when I'm not there?! Is that harsh?! When I'm with other nannies or cm the kids all have to wear hats and there's generally not an issue.

Thanks in advance, sorry I know it's a long one! :)

Mouse
13-07-2013, 09:56 AM
I agree with you completely. When the child is in your care they are your responsibility and you are the one who has to make sure they don't suffer because of too much son. It shouldn't make any difference that you are employed by the family. You are still the one responsible for the children's safety while they are with you.

I have a child comes to me who has never worn a hat at home. I keep spares here, so told him he had to wear one. He's about 20 moths old. The first day was a constant battle of me putting a hat on his head and him pulling it off. I literally followed him round plonking it back on his head every time he pulled it off. After a while I made him sit on the doorstep, in the shade everytime he took it off. by the end of the day he was keeping it on, running to me with it if it fell off so I could put it back on again. When mum came to pick him up he still had it on and she was amazed. But as soon as he saw her he pulled it off again!

I guess it shows that children soon get to know what they can do with you and what they can do with mum. While you are looking after the children I would keep on making them wear hats and hope that in time they understand that your's and mum's rules are different. You can't tell her what to do when she is looking after the children, so you just have to know that you are doing the right thing when you are the one in charge.

chriss
13-07-2013, 09:59 AM
I would do what you think is right...make them wear hats, as if they burn or get sunstroke while in your care, it's your responsibility, you can't say that mum said it was ok not to.

blue bear
13-07-2013, 10:21 AM
I always blame ofsted for things like this when I've explained til I'm blue in the face and mum can't understand why I do certain Things.

It's hats and cream on or you stay indoors here, chikdren soon learn there are different rules for different places. If it was a child who came with eight bars of chocolate in their packed lunch there is no way you woukd let them eat them even if mum said they always do at home so I can't see why it should be different with sun safety.

marnieb
13-07-2013, 10:24 AM
No you're totally right, in this heat children must wear hats, you could justify it by saying the tops of their heads could get sunburned & that is painful you can't even brush your hair!!

Koala
13-07-2013, 10:38 AM
Absolutely your responsibility to safeguard yourself and all the children that you care for, hats and sun cream is a must. You cannot knowingly place children at risk because that is what they do at home - they are not at home.

All my lo's wear hats and cream, maybe not at first but after a while of me strictly replacing hats time after time they do give in and when their mums/dads pick up and say "how do you get their hats to stay on" you know it's all about, consistency, continuity and expectations and without this and children accepting the rules there would be anarchy.

It's up to parents what they do, at times my own children are less sun protected than the minded ones, however, this is my prerogative and I am culpable to any recourse. However, it is professional suicide to allow minded children to be injured due to continuing bad practice from home.

Go for it - stick to your guns - kids have to get on board with the rules or abandon ship! (no outdoor play) quite right!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

clareelizabeth1
13-07-2013, 11:33 AM
Definitely hats and sun cream. I always do it to to set a good example. I have a bit of a fuss each time new child starts.

It would also be your fault if the get burned and could easily be classed as neglect.

Had one patent keep forgetting a hat till she turned up one night to her son wearing a pink sun hat. There were other colours but I let him pick. He came in next day with blue hat.

twiggy
13-07-2013, 12:04 PM
I do the same, if they take their hats off they have to go inside.

ziggy
13-07-2013, 12:30 PM
my neighbours must be fed up of hearing me say 'hat on head, hat on head'. Sorry but like being strapped in car, it isnt optional

you are right in insisting children wear hats

butterfly
13-07-2013, 01:37 PM
You're certainly right - hat on heads or you have to go in. There may be different rules to what they have at home but tough. If she won't listen to you say Ofsted says I have to - end of.

AliceK
13-07-2013, 01:45 PM
my neighbours must be fed up of hearing me say 'hat on head, hat on head'. Sorry but like being strapped in car, it isnt optional

you are right in insisting children wear hats

Same here, usually only with 1 of mine. "X put your hat on", "X put your hat on", "X put your hat on", . Luckily he does do it but it either falls off when he's playing or he takes it off. All the children here know that if you don't have your sun hat on and let me put sun cream on you then you have to come inside. It's not up for negotiation.

xxxxx

Supernanny86
13-07-2013, 01:47 PM
Thanks everyone! I knew I was right!! The lo's are 22m! They always play up when parents come home! I guess it's going to be harder as her rules and mine are different but we're in the same house!!

I'm sticking to my guns, one lo has grasped it the other is not so keen, he ended up sitting out about 50times!

Suppose ill have to be persistent! I think it's cruel to be left out in the sun to burn!! I'm still governed by ofsted and I'd be in big trouble if they ended up in hospital! It is tough as I have them 3 days and don't see them fri or weekend, meaning Monday is tough getting used to my rules again!! :) I'm a mean nanny!! ;)

Daisy1956
13-07-2013, 01:48 PM
Totally agree in my garden no hats no play,they soon start putting hats on. Prefer safe than sorry. Sunburn is a very serious matter. We also play in the more shady area when it is really sunny.

Supernanny86
13-07-2013, 01:50 PM
Same here, usually only with 1 of mine. "X put your hat on", "X put your hat on", "X put your hat on", . Luckily he does do it but it either falls off when he's playing or he takes it off. All the children here know that if you don't have your sun hat on and let me put sun cream on you then you have to come inside. It's not up for negotiation.

xxxxx

Yep that was me the other day! "S put your hat on" about 100 times! I was fed up of my voice so sure the boys and the neighbours were!! :)

bindy
13-07-2013, 01:56 PM
I agree, all minded children have hats and cream.

Samijanec
13-07-2013, 02:01 PM
I agree with you totally, I'm so anal about it. I have one little girl who is mixed race and mum is from Eastern Europe, she refuses to let her wear sun cream and won't send her in a sun hat either, but she also keeps her wrapped up in wooly tights. Yesterday I just put one of my sons hats on her which she happily wore. I also applied cream.
What mum does with her is up to her but when she's in my care, it's hats and cream all the way!!!

yummyripples
13-07-2013, 02:04 PM
I'm a bit rubbish with hats and mine very rarely have them on. If mun insists then I persevere but if not I encourage but don't insist.
I do have a large canopy in the garden and I rub cream into their scalps. I think it probably stems from myself and my own kids not wearing them.
If however your rules are that hats on or no outdoor play then yes you are right to stick to your rules.

kellyskidz!
13-07-2013, 02:26 PM
No you're totally right, mum and dad DO employ you, but they employ you to look after their children which means ensuring their safety at all times.
It's far too hot for children to be outside without hats, cream and plenty of fluids at hand, if Mum doesn't accept this then stick to your guns and say well I'll find indoor activities to do then. I bet if you mentioned it to her, how strongly you feel, she would be fine! The kids need you all to be on the same page anyway so you're not coming off as the mean one, and they have consistent rules in place. Good luck, especially as its supposed to be roasting next week!xx

bindy
13-07-2013, 02:27 PM
I agree with you totally, I'm so anal about it. I have one little girl who is mixed race and mum is from Eastern Europe, she refuses to let her wear sun cream and won't send her in a sun hat either, but she also keeps her wrapped up in wooly tights. Yesterday I just put one of my sons hats on her which she happily wore. I also applied cream.
What mum does with her is up to her but when she's in my care, it's hats and cream all the way!!!

I always thought parents had to sign a permission form for you to apply sun cream? I would not put on if had no permission but child would not be out in the sun.