PDA

View Full Version : Ratios...doubting what Ofsted have told me

Bumble Beez
13-07-2013, 08:00 AM
Ok, very very quickly get everyone up to speed...

My mum and mum-in-law are both registered as my assistants, have been for the last 5 years.
We've always worked well together, sometimes just 2 of us, sometimes all 3...

Both mums are now at the point where they want to move on...numerous reasons, retirement, age, personal commitments etc which is fine :D so I'll be back working just by myself.

Now I've spoken to Ofsted regarding ratios as my concern was that I would have to give lots of families notice...some I have done already as I literally cannot collect from certain schools when I'm alone etc...however I was told that for continuity of care I can be over my ratio of 3 under 5's ad long as I don't go over 6 - fine.

Problem being is that I'm now doubting what I've been told as I keep looking at the ratios and feel that I'm gonna be doing something really wrong.

I don't really want to take on anyone else as an assistant as after working with mums for so long I don't think it would work particularly well :(

If I need to give notice, I will...but I've now got completely confused? Especially Ofsted saying its fine...

Any advice, greatly appreciated lol!

Now off to bang my head against a wall for a while ;)

Sarah x

Bumble Beez
13-07-2013, 08:06 AM
Oh also...don't know if this makes a difference...I don't collect any under 8's from school anymore

Sarah x

blue bear
13-07-2013, 08:50 AM
So how many children, what ages are you going to have and what times.
Yes you can increase your numbers for under fives for continuity of care under revised eyfs,be very sure you can manage what you are taking on and risk assess like crazy, if anything terrible was to happen your risk assessment would be taken apart to make sure you covered all risks and are not responsible etc

You can ever have more than six children under eight in any circumstance,

Bumble Beez
13-07-2013, 09:25 AM
That's what I thought...the one day that bothers me if Friday...

18 mth
2 yr
2 yr
4 yr (at nursery am)
4 yr (at nursery am)
3 yr

Fine if I've got my assistant with me...but by myself...are you sure ofsted?! Madness...
2 4 yr olds start full time in sept so only really got one more wk where I could need help.

Think I'm gonna give notice to some anyway, only way forward me thinks.

Sarah x

Mouse
13-07-2013, 09:40 AM
Technically you could have all 6 under 8s for continuity of care, but just because you could, it doesn't mean you should.

You need to decide what number you are happy with and stick with that.

Due to parents swapping days I could have been in the position to have 5 children at once through continuity, but knew I didn't want that many.

You have to risk assess, show all children will receive adequate attention, show you have sufficient equipment etc. I knew I wouldn't be happy taking 5 under 8s out by myself, I wouldn't be confident I could deal with them all in an emergency, I couldn't provide them all with the same range of activities I do now. It just wasn't right for me, so although I could have done it, I chose not to.

sarah707
13-07-2013, 10:06 AM
Very good reply from Mouse... :thumbsup:

Another thing to think about - while it is theoretically ok in principal to have 5 or even 6 under 8 because those are the ratios in the EYFS - you might find that an Ofsted inspector will be looking at it very differently.

Ofsted inspections as we know are very focussed on children's learning - individual learning outcomes - what each child has learned today - whether their learning intentions were met etc.

So, as well as the usual 'meeting care needs' requirements, your inspector will want to see that you are teaching each child appropriately, following their interests, meeting their learning needs etc.

I have 4 under 5 on 1 day a week and by the end of it I am completely exhausted! I know I give 150% (if that were possible) on that day to ensure I am totally dedicated to each child's care and learning needs. I prepare food in advance - I plan - I document it all very carefully as evidence for ofsted - I evaluate it regularly - and if I felt for one moment that I was failing any of the children I would change either my way of working or my ratios immediately.

Please be realistic about what you are wanting to do. Think about how much strain your assistants take up for you. Consider your health and wellbeing and your family's sanity - and ask yourself if an Ofsted inspector was observing your day - what would s/he say?

Hope this helps :D

Bumble Beez
13-07-2013, 10:18 AM
Thanks guys...I knew I could count on you all to jump on board and help.
I'm comfortable having 4...5 if they just crossover at lunchtimes but other than that I'm gonna have to give in and give notice.

My other days I have 3 under 5s and one day of 4 but Fridays have always been busy for me.

Ok, so this wknd I'm gonna be risk assessing like mad and talking very nicely to my lovely friend and minder Cheekymonkey5 to see if she'll co mind with me on a Friday for a bit ;)

Thanks everyone...lots of hugs xx

cheekymonkey5
13-07-2013, 10:38 AM
You know my answer Hun. I'll be there x

Bumble Beez
13-07-2013, 10:41 AM
You know my answer Hun. I'll be there x

You're a star!! Xx
Sarah x

bindy
13-07-2013, 02:35 PM
If that's the case, what if my assistant was sick? Could I have all 6 kids? Not that I would. Just wondering....

blue bear
13-07-2013, 02:55 PM
If that's the case, what if my assistant was sick? Could I have all 6 kids? Not that I would. Just wondering....

The theory is you can but would you want to?

Bumble Beez
13-07-2013, 04:26 PM
The theory is you can but would you want to?

Ummmm....NO!! Hence why I wanted to double check what ofsted had told me! I'm not planning on looking after the 6 all my myself, I need an extra pair of hands, eyes and ears lol!

Sarah x

JCrakers
13-07-2013, 07:40 PM
If two of the children start school in September can't any of your assistants stay on until then, its only weeks away?

Then you will only have the 4 in the day and pick up 2 from school which is more manageable than having the six all day

Bumble Beez
13-07-2013, 07:54 PM
If two of the children start school in September can't any of your assistants stay on until then, its only weeks away?

Then you will only have the 4 in the day and pick up 2 from school which is more manageable than having the six all day

It's all happening really quickly so can't even make it thru till end of July...I'm gonna have to just get thru and hope for the best. 2 are tto so hols will be quieter anyway and I most certainly won't be advertising anytime soon lol x

Sarah x