PDA

View Full Version : activities for an uninterested 7 yr old boy?

butterfly
08-07-2008, 08:24 PM
I have a 7 yr old boy for after school care for one night a week. he's a lovely kid but the trouble is i don't know what to do with him. when asked what he does at home he says he just plays football rain or shine. his mum couldn't think of anything else he does! i don't have a garden suitable for football and i can't go the park when it's wet as i also look after a 6mth old and 2 3 yr olds. he's been to me 3 times now and has played the wii but i don't agree with him doing this all the time. he won't play on cbbc website just wanted to play on a hot wheels game which was way too hard for him. the first week we didn't have the wii so he watched tv - i don't like this either! today i put out painting which the 3yr olds loved but he wasn't interested
what shall i do? any ideas??

miss mopple
08-07-2008, 08:42 PM
Its hard when they are like that, but I'm sure if you keep at it he'll find other stuff that interests him.

I have a mindee who was much the same when he started, and I came to the conclusion that he didn't know how to play with toys etc. I got him involved in 'helping' me play with the little ones, and now he searches out the toys himself and will happily play, and the tv doesnt get mentioned.

Other things he likes are

cooking
drawing
stories
word puzzles etc
crafts
playdough
magnetics
lego

if you turn the wii and tv off he'll get the message eventually and find other stuff to do :)

tulip0803
08-07-2008, 08:48 PM
What about a football topic. Finding out about his favorite team and where the players come from. Extends into looking at different countries. Could make pictures of footballers, make a large version of the team badge, make up a football song? food from foriegn countries that the players come from. designing a new strip. making a dream team of his favorite players.

Hopefully it might draw him out a bit and he will get more involved.

My son loved lego, dinosaurs and spiders to scare his sister:D