PDA

View Full Version : Just found out I am expecting !!

NinaBowen
12-07-2013, 12:32 PM
Found out last night I am expecting baby No 3 in March 2014!! For those who have been through this, did you continue to do childminding after the birth of your child? How long did you have off? How did you cope?? How did your parents take it??

With my other two children I had an office job so took off 9 months but can't do that this time as will loose my children and not even sure if I could get any maternity pay anyway being self employed.

How will it affect my numbers ratio wise too? As this child is my own can I keep my existing 3 under fives through continuity of care?

Gosh so many questions!

ziggy
12-07-2013, 12:35 PM
sorry cant answer any of your questions as my youngest is 23 and i wasnt minding then

just wanted to say congratulations:clapping::clapping:

butterfly
12-07-2013, 12:39 PM
Found out last night I am expecting baby No 3 in March 2014!! For those who have been through this, did you continue to do childminding after the birth of your child? How long did you have off? How did you cope?? How did your parents take it??

With my other two children I had an office job so took off 9 months but can't do that this time as will loose my children and not even sure if I could get any maternity pay anyway being self employed.

How will it affect my numbers ratio wise too? As this child is my own can I keep my existing 3 under fives through continuity of care?

Gosh so many questions!

First of all CONGRATUALTIONS!!

As far as I know you can keep your existing mindees as continuity of care (just be careful if that will mean 2 babies under one though).

My childminding colleague took off Oct half term to Jan start of term so approx. 8/10 weeks. Her parents were all fine about it. She told them as soon as she was 3 months so they had plenty of time to organise alternative care/grand parents/ save up annual holiday to take. She didn't lose any children because of it.

I think you are entitled to statutory maternity pay as you pay NI but you should check this.

NinaBowen
12-07-2013, 12:42 PM
Did your friend look after school children or just under fives?

Luckily it works out quite well because it will be my only under 1, one child will be 18 months come March, my son will be a preschool some of the week as will 2 of my other under fives. So I think during the day I will cope just fine, just wondering with school pick up and cooking them tea etc, will it be too much.

Tansy
12-07-2013, 12:56 PM

Gosh so many questions!

Hi, this is my first post but I usually pop in forum regularly to steal ideas!

Firstly congratulations hope you are feeling well! I just had to reply since I'm also pregnant with my 3rd and due in March and have no clue what I am going to do re maternity leave so will be watching with interest.

Was also hoping to get some advice as have 3 littles starting in September signed months ago and deposit taken, I'm feeling very bad about the fact they will only be with me for 7 months but I also need to work? (This baby was a surprise but very happy about it) Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Nina just realised I have hijacked your post, I'm very sorry hope you don't mind.

butterfly
12-07-2013, 01:03 PM
Did your friend look after school children or just under fives?

Luckily it works out quite well because it will be my only under 1, one child will be 18 months come March, my son will be a preschool some of the week as will 2 of my other under fives. So I think during the day I will cope just fine, just wondering with school pick up and cooking them tea etc, will it be too much.

She looked after both but mainly under fives. She did end up cutting back on her older ones and trying to get slightly earlier finishes.

sarah707
12-07-2013, 01:24 PM
Whooooo! :clapping:

smurfette
12-07-2013, 01:30 PM

Gosh so many questions!

Congratulations! Great news!

kellyskidz!
12-07-2013, 01:34 PM
Congratulations!!:excited:

bindy
12-07-2013, 06:03 PM
Congratulations! Yes you can get maternity benefit. I took off the full year. I think I got over £500 per month. I knew I wanted to take the full year so saved like mad. I worked 3 days before my baby came but I think you can start claiming after 36 weeks or 38 cant really remember. You can also work up to 10 days without getting the benefit stopped, I know its not much. Lost all my clients, just wanted the time with my baby, now would not be able to afford to take that long off. Good luck with it all, very exciting!!

alex1604
12-07-2013, 06:15 PM
Congratulations!!

I'm pregnant with my second and due in January. You can definitely claim maternity benefit if youve been paying NI, you just have to do it through the job centre rather than being paid from an employer. It's the same as statuary maternity pay.

I'm planning on having at least 6 months off, I've told the family (only have one with two children) and they were really understanding. I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that they won't come back to me afterwards but will depend on their circumstances. I've also thought I might want to reduce hours a bit if we can afford for me to. I'm just going to try and play it by ear and see what I can manage at the time.

Hope the pregnancy goes well and you aren't feeling too tired or sick!

Xx

Bumble Beez
12-07-2013, 06:44 PM

Gosh so many questions!

Ahh huge congratulations Hun...I had 2 of my own when I started minding and fell with my third four years in. I worked right up to having my babe and had warned all my parents that it would be short notice as to when I go into hospital etc!! I had babe, took 2 weeks leave and went straight back into it again with all my LO's that I has before :D
Parents were all awesome and lots visited during the two weeks...and lots of pressies too ;)
Being self employed you can claim maternity allowance so in theory you could take the full 9 months if you wanted...
Worked for me, so can't see why it wouldn't for you.

Sarah x

NinaBowen
12-07-2013, 07:04 PM
I am thinking of working up until the day I drop! And then going back to work 2/3 weeks afterwards which would then tie in with easter hols and I don't have any school children then anyway so will just be my under fives. Going back full time come mid April. I am worried that having 9 months off I will obviously have to start from scratch again and what if I don't get anyone or if I have to wait a long time and I love the under fives that I have so don't really want to loose them. I will have to drop one of my school children to make space for my baby as can't go over 6 under 8's but I think apart from that I plan to go on as I am!!! Don't know whether I am mad or not. I guess, try it and see. I really need the money though as with this being my 3rd we are now in desperate need of more room so need to quickly save for a garage conversion!!

Tansy congrats to you too! I too have a new under five signed up for September start but am hoping to keep the child on. I am right in thinking that I can have 4 under fives because of this and keeping my existing children would be continuity of care?? I hope so!

And Bindy too many congratulations

Nina

clareelizabeth1
12-07-2013, 07:23 PM
Congratulations.

You are entitled to mat leave as long as you have paid your national insurance.

I'm currently in the seventh month of my mat leave. I was going to be losing half my children anyway so was worth stopping minding for a bit.

Daisy De
12-07-2013, 07:28 PM
Congratulations :clapping:

tigwig
12-07-2013, 09:25 PM
Congratulations. As others have said yes you can claim maternity allowance. I had just starting childminding when I found I was pregnant. I worked right up until the day before I went into labour lol and had 4 weeks off. This happened to fall over Christmas which was good but as long as you remain fit and healthy it can be done! I then went back to work 55 hrs a week with my 4 wk old, a 12 mth old & a 14 mth old. I coped, it was hard with the sleepless nights but I had no choice. The mindees were great and you just get through it! Don't worry about it you will be ok :)

lozzy23
12-07-2013, 09:32 PM
Congratulations Nina, Tansy & Alex1604:clapping:

XXX

Supernanny86
12-07-2013, 10:14 PM
Congratulations :) :)

Stapleton83
12-07-2013, 10:18 PM
Congratulations

x

oxfordshirecm