PDA

View Full Version : Pick up time disaster

JCrakers
12-07-2013, 09:57 AM
I look after a little boy 11m.
He had been clingy all day and I'd been with him throughout the day more than usual. Usually he's quite happy to go off playing and exploring but just wanted to be with me.
So teatime came and I needed to make some sandwiches for other mindees so my dd and her friend were playing with him on the floor but he just wanted me, so I asked her to pop him in the highchair. (I was there with her) She strapped him in and I gave him some bread and butter to chew on and he was happy as Larry, sitting watching me.

So Dad arrives very early, he comes in and he's happy chewing on some bread. Dad says hello to him, he gets all excited and arches his back and suddenly slips through the highchair. He doesn't fall out and were both next to him but we both shout and I try get him out while he's half hanging out.

Dd had unstrapped him ready for Dad to get him out but because we were talking for a while I didn't realise she had. :blush: I apologise, Dads fine, babies fine.

I apologise again as they are going out the door and have a word with dd about not unstrapping him. That's never happened in 20yrs and it would have to happen while a parent is there. I have very strict health and safety rules. I felt awful, embarrassed and just thankful he didn't hurt himself.
Dad was fine as I know the family very well but I hate the thought of not being on the ball and that it happened :blush:

CLL
12-07-2013, 10:32 AM
Children sometimes do things to be helpful and as adults we can see the potential dangers but they don't. The fact that this incident has upset and embarrassed you shows that you take all aspects of your job seriously. Sometimes mistakes and accidents happen, don't beat yourself up over it.

shortstuff
12-07-2013, 10:34 AM
hows dd today? I hope she isnt beating herself up too much as she was trying to be helpful.

I can understand why you would feel like you do but as CL said you cant be all seeing all the time x

yummyripples
12-07-2013, 12:45 PM
Home from home environment isn't it. Hopefully your mindees feel like family and that could have been big sister doing it. No harm done xc

jackie 7
12-07-2013, 01:15 PM
Thus has happened to me when just getting a baby out of 1 of my chairs. Then got one with a strap between legs.

Mouse
12-07-2013, 01:23 PM
It's horrible at the time, but the child wasn't injured in any way & I bet everyone has learned from it & it'll never happen again.

All too often we look at what might have been, and that's what worries us.

Perhaps amend your risk assessments to show you have discussed it with your DD...then put it out of your mind :)