PDA

View Full Version : a text message from mum bad news

kims kingdom
12-07-2013, 09:14 AM
So my lo mum has just text me to say that childminding isnt for them and its no reflection on me im really sad as his such a dear little boy and plus his my one that does 3 days a week so im back to doing one day and a after school did have a phone call for a fulk timer but shes letting me know but that won't be till sept and she seams a bit protective.
Anyone my lo is only doing till end of july so 4 days but ob contract says 4 weeks notice any advice not had this before would u charge or just charge for the days that he would of been here?

Tazmin68
12-07-2013, 09:21 AM
If you are not still n the settling in period then I would still expect the 4 weeks childcare be paid. It is then down to parent as to if they send child or not. If it is already in contract that child is finishing in July then you can only expect that childcare is paid until the end of contract.

Debbie

Kiddleywinks
12-07-2013, 09:22 AM
Oh dear, sorry to hear that :(

How long have you had him?
Is he still within a settling in period?
If termination is after the settling in period, I would require 4 weeks paid notice of contracted hours

kims kingdom
12-07-2013, 09:59 AM
Oh dear, sorry to hear that :(

How long have you had him?
Is he still within a settling in period?
If termination is after the settling in period, I would require 4 weeks paid notice of contracted hours

Its four weeks this week so shes texted me today on the fourth week? She said she will pay what is owed but feel awkward if I charge her for 4 weeks as its only 4 days worth? I think it might still have something to do with the whole my son had tonsillits thing altho she didnt mention it feel really low feel like im final getting my cm busines underway and this hapoen but I do believe in fate so maybe something will come along and maybe get the full timer that contacted me the other day.
Feel like theys still so much to learn!!!

CLL
12-07-2013, 10:25 AM
If there is only 4 days left on the contract I am not sure why you would require a months payment? Think I must be missing something here.

shortstuff
12-07-2013, 10:30 AM
have you thought to ask the mum why child minding isnt for her? there might be something that can easily be fixed? if you mean you closed whiile your son had tonsilitis then maybe she needs the security of a nursery as they wouldnt close for illness as often as we sometimes need to. Sorry for not knowing about the thread you are referring to.

kellyskidz!
12-07-2013, 10:32 AM
Sorry to hear that, please see it as a learning curve and don't let it put you off minding.
Remind mum of the contract she signed saying you will need four weeks notice, and discuss with her weather she is willing to pay for the 4 weeks without him attending or if she wants to carry on the childcare for the next four weeks. Get her notice in writing and make sure you both know the final date of the end of the four week period. She has chosen to give notice but she has also signed a contract with the terms of a four week notice period which she must adhere to, yes if he does 3 days a week the charge would be 3x full days times 4 weeks, and its up to her if she brings him or simply just pays it xx

kellyskidz!
12-07-2013, 10:34 AM
If there is only 4 days left on the contract I am not sure why you would require a months payment? Think I must be missing something here.

There is a four week notice period. That's what I got anyway, and mum wants to take him out of childcare in 4 days, but doesn't want to pay the 4 weeks notice.. I may be wrong!

kellyskidz!
12-07-2013, 10:39 AM
Actually, no I'm confused lol. If the contract was a four week only one, then Mum shouldn't pay for any additional weeks as she hasn't signed a contract for any more than 4 weeks? If on the 4th week she has decided you're not for her then that's that. Was this four week contract a settling in period? If so, she shouldn't be charged for any additional weeks, as that's the whole point of a settling in period, to see how it goes
Sorry, I've found this post very confusing, (its Friday!) perhaps you could clarify?xx

kims kingdom
12-07-2013, 10:40 AM
have you thought to ask the mum why child minding isnt for her? there might be something that can easily be fixed? if you mean you closed whiile your son had tonsilitis then maybe she needs the security of a nursery as they wouldnt close for illness as often as we sometimes need to. Sorry for not knowing about the thread you are referring to.

She has said she will ring me at weekend and she put she is finishing work thro family issues.
I think shes made her mind up but def would like to know why exactly.
I didnt tell her my son had tonsillits and when she picked up lo it was said and she got funny with me that I should of said as I didnt realise it was contagious I didnt even think to say to her but did say sorry and it wouldnt hapoen again ill find out I guess if she rings over weekend
But I don't think I would charge her more im just scared to incase she then doesnt pay rest of july plus im not that sort of person my husband is annoyed with me and think im to soft

shortstuff
12-07-2013, 10:45 AM
I am sorry you are feeling like this so early in your career. Stay strong and see this as one of those blips we all face from time to time.

During the phone conversation try to keep your business head on and if Mum asks you a question you dont know an immediate answer to dont feel shy to say 'can i get back to you about that?' it is better to do this than to give an answer you might regret.

remember it is your business you control it. as much as our partners want to help they cant always make the decisions for us.

good luck x not that you will need it x

kims kingdom
12-07-2013, 10:47 AM
Actually, no I'm confused lol. If the contract was a four week only one, then Mum shouldn't pay for any additional weeks as she hasn't signed a contract for any more than 4 weeks? If on the 4th week she has decided you're not for her then that's that. Was this four week contract a settling in period? If so, she shouldn't be charged for any additional weeks, as that's the whole point of a settling in period, to see how it goes
Sorry, I've found this post very confusing, (its Friday!) perhaps you could clarify?xx

Hi kellyskidz sorry didnt mean to confuse u mum works at a school so contract was only for term time she was startibg up again in sept and this was written on contract I always knew she wanted me again in sept for same days so shes told me today she will oay what is owed but won't be bringing him anymore if was thinking just charge her the rest of july ? My son is actually goid and really enjoys him coming so now got to think of a reason to tell him as to why his not here ,
I thinj I may do the bill and when she picks up buggy etc ilk give it to her hate feeling arkward worst part of job sorting out money but then I suppose we woukdnt do it without the money

shortstuff
12-07-2013, 10:49 AM
you might want to read the small print on your contract. I believe mine states that the notice period doesnt apply during holidays especially as this one is tto.

kims kingdom
12-07-2013, 10:55 AM
you might want to read the small print on your contract. I believe mine states that the notice period doesnt apply during holidays especially as this one is tto.

Thank u I will im happy to be paid just the rest of july hubbys not!!
Stilk learning bout this stuff

shortstuff
12-07-2013, 10:58 AM
Thank u I will im happy to be paid just the rest of july hubbys not!!
Stilk learning bout this stuff

its all good fun when every new situation arrives x we all feel the same though and that is why this forum is so great x

munch149
12-07-2013, 10:59 AM
I would charge but if you feel awkward then maybe do 2 weeks instead of four and meet in the middle. You deserve notice

kims kingdom
12-07-2013, 11:32 AM
I would charge but if you feel awkward then maybe do 2 weeks instead of four and meet in the middle. You deserve notice

Im gonna be strong and say bout the 4weeks but as a good will gesture say 2 wks instead and fingers crossed and no dispute ill wait and see if she rings tomorrow and hope for the best thanks everyone

Chatterbox Childcare
12-07-2013, 11:33 AM
When did your contract start and are you in a settling in period?

kims kingdom
12-07-2013, 11:33 AM
its all good fun when every new situation arrives x we all feel the same though and that is why this forum is so great x

And thank god its here the forum is my best internet friend
I woukd be lost without eceryone on here so thanks everyone who replied to my message been a great help so thanks

kims kingdom
12-07-2013, 11:34 AM
When did your contract start and are you in a settling in period?

Contract started on 17th june

sprinkles
12-07-2013, 11:45 AM
I've read this as she has decided to cancel on the last day of settling in period? Today would be the end of the 4 weeks? Therefore no notice is required to be given.

That is if your contract states a settling in period? My contracts state 4 weeks settling in and no notice is required therefore a parent can leave with immediate effect during this time.

BuggsieMoo
12-07-2013, 12:14 PM
What did you put as settling in? Mine is 2 weeks - some do more. If she is still within her settling in period or has terminated within the settling in period they you cannot hold her to any notice period. If she is out of her settling in period, what is your notice period? Mine is 4 weeks during which I cannot and they cannot use holiday time - therefore if you have notice it will be for the period in September when they are due back. I am also confused as it reads to me you have one contract for now to end at the end of term and are doing a new contract for September. You know you dont need to do that right if its the same days and times? All you need to do is state on your contract term time only care. x

kims kingdom
12-07-2013, 12:20 PM
What did you put as settling in? Mine is 2 weeks - some do more. If she is still within her settling in period or has terminated within the settling in period they you cannot hold her to any notice period. If she is out of her settling in period, what is your notice period? Mine is 4 weeks during which I cannot and they cannot use holiday time - therefore if you have notice it will be for the period in September when they are due back. I am also confused as it reads to me you have one contract for now to end at the end of term and are doing a new contract for September. You know you dont need to do that right if its the same days and times? All you need to do is state on your contract term time only care. x

No I don't have a new contract I wrote on the original one what sept tpdays woukd be but yes my contract does say 4 weeks so and has others have said it is on the fourth week was looking to see what others might say and as its so cloee to notice period and I don't want to have confunration ill do bill for the whole of july

sprinkles
12-07-2013, 12:40 PM
No I don't have a new contract I wrote on the original one what sept tpdays woukd be but yes my contract does say 4 weeks so and has others have said it is on the fourth week was looking to see what others might say and as its so cloee to notice period and I don't want to have confunration ill do bill for the whole of july

Do you have a settling in period????

rickysmiths
12-07-2013, 01:35 PM
It sounds to me as if you have been used as a stop gap to Nursery and the lo is booked into Nursery in Sept but if mum had started with the Nursery in June she would have had to pay full amount over the long summer holidays and she didn't want to.

Until she has given you notice in writing she hasn't given you notice so unless she gets notice to you in writing by the end of her last contracted day this week then she has not given you notice within the settling in period. If you use pacey contract it states notice must be in writing. I had a similar incident two years ago and the solicitor was quite clear that notice in writing does not include text or email it must be a proper old fashioned letter.

It sounds as if this child does not come to you full time so if you haven't had them today I would phone the mother now and ask her to drop you a letter confirming her notice and the dates as per contract. Then you can look at that and deal with it by replying by letter. As it would seem she has not given notice correctly in the settling in period then she must pay four weeks notice if this is what it states in the contract. Why should you be out of pocket? Do not feel intimidated by someone who has not got enough respect for you as a professional to abide by the legally binding contract they have signed. Your husband is absolutely right.

When you get her notice in writing reply to her giving her the figure for the four weeks notice and confirm that of course the place is there for her to use. If her end of term is week ending 19th July then you can be generous and allow this as the first week of notice but the other three will be the first three weeks of next term technically and this is what you should put in your letter. It will not affect the amount of money due however you will have to keep the place open for her to use these three weeks and you must state in your letter that the place is there to use during the notice period. It is up to her if she uses it or not. Don't let her get away with this it is mean and manipulative.

In future take a four weeks fees deposit which is kept until the end of the contract but is nonrefundable if they do not start the contract with you or during the first four weeks of the contract. I now have written into my contracts and fees policy that the Deposit is not returned if a family does not start the contract or if they leave me within the first six months and if they reduce their hours before the contract starts or within the first six months they lose that % of their Deposit. I had a spate of parents who used me as a stop gap to getting the days/hours they wanted at the local Day Nursery. It drove me round the bend, a child would just settle and I would set up all their paperwork and they would leave and not want to pay the notice period. Now I only get families that want to stay with a childminder long term so they get their Deposit back when they eventually leave me in the form of the last month is free.

Oh when you write to her in close a copy of the page of the Contract where it says four weeks notice in writing, if you use pacey ones it is on page 4 and makes it clear text and email are not acceptable.

KatieFS
12-07-2013, 03:17 PM
It is so difficult isn't it. If you are through your agreed settling in period then the usual notice period is 4 weeks notice. Depends how generous you can be whether you expect 4 weeks notice or if you can apply some discretion. Obvs check your contracts first....