PDA

View Full Version : How long have you waited for your first mindee?

TY628
11-07-2013, 12:49 PM
Hello everyone~
I got my certificate last month and started advertising right away. Until now I've 1 enquiry but since I'm not driving, I lost that business...
I'm living in a small village and seems that not many people looking for childcare service in my area especially when I'm not driving! I'm really worried now... Can anyone tell me how long have you got your first business? :(

Thank you.

Bumble Beez
11-07-2013, 01:12 PM
Mine came about a week or so after I got my cert...it was for just 1 day a week and it was 3 months later I got my first school pick up.
It all snowballed from there..
It seems to go thru phases here of all or nothing, at one point I had 5 enquiries in a wk and couldn't fit ant of them in but then it could go months before my next phone call...the joys of self employment hey?!

TY628
11-07-2013, 01:28 PM
1 week! So happy for you! I'm kind of worried as it's September soon and if no parents asking for childcare in these 2 months, it may mean no one needs childcare for the whole school term then I'll be only waiting and waiting... can't really enjoy this at the moment...

sprinkles
11-07-2013, 01:38 PM
It can take up to a year! I had one ready to sign before I got my certificate but they then decided they couldn't commit. I signed my first one up about a month or so after but I don't actually start until August so that will be 4 months since got my certificate.

TY628
11-07-2013, 01:44 PM
4months still sound good but a year!! :panic:
It seems that I can just wait patiently then...

Thank you for listening and answering!

amirose
11-07-2013, 01:47 PM
I registered in December 2008, got my first minded child (an after schooler) in February 2009 and my first under five in March 2009, it took at least a year to be working as much as I wanted/needed to be.
Nearly five years on I now have two assistants and I'm turning work away constantly xx

TY628
11-07-2013, 01:54 PM
I registered in December 2008, got my first minded child (an after schooler) in February 2009 and my first under five in March 2009, it took at least a year to be working as much as I wanted/needed to be.
Nearly five years on I now have two assistants and I'm turning work away constantly xx

This is encouraging! Thank you! I wish I could be same as you one day!!

sprinkles
11-07-2013, 03:52 PM
This is encouraging! Thank you! I wish I could be same as you one day!!

So do I! Here's hoping!

Miss freckles
11-07-2013, 04:14 PM
I started in April but had my first mindee lined up as it was someone I know, I haven't had anyone since, I've had a few enquiries but one wanted me but her husbands got relocated for work so they moved and the other wanted a nursery, visited 4 nurseries but thought they would visit a childminder to see what it's all about!!! And another wanted overnight care which I don't offer.

A childminder friend said not to worry I would get busy in sept and would be soon turning people away, well in the last month I'm taking on 2 children from the same family in sept and I've had two people ask me for before and after school care.

I've advertised using my own website, a fb page, flyers, making sure I'm on all e sites like childcare and net mums etc aswell as my local children's family information service but I would say the number one way of getting known is word of mouth. I have two young children who attend a school where there is no childminders who pick up from there so mums have found out what I do and are passing info around.

After that I would say my second best way of advertising is my fb page, it's been better than ,y own website, flyers and other sites.

Also a lot of schools are having there summer fairs now, ask your local school if you can leave some flyers on one of the stalls or be there handing them out yourself maybe.

I've come to e conclusion it takes a while to get going properly, so I know how you are feeling.

Good luck

TY628
11-07-2013, 04:54 PM
Thanks for sharing, Miss freckles! I haven't tried my local primary school perhaps I should have a go.
I feel so much better after talking with you all here. Hope things will be on track soon.
Thank you so much!:cool:

maisiemog
11-07-2013, 09:29 PM
Took me almost 6 months but all of a sudden I went from nothing to having 5 mindees on my books within 6 weeks! It goes through stages. I can have 5 enquiries in a month and then nothing for months!

Advertise like mad and you will get enquiries and mindees!

Bumble Beez
12-07-2013, 04:34 AM
Thank you for listening and answering!

It's what we're all here for chick :D

Don't be worrying about the school term either, I've only ever had one family phone me at the beginning of hols for childcare in September....the rest have been a week or a few days before they need someone!!

My last ones I had start contacted me on a Friday eve to find out availability, came to visit on the Saturday, went away as happy as larry with paperwork etc and kidlets started with me 7:30 am on the Monday! Not how I like to work but hey ho...these things happen lol!!

Sarah x

TY628
12-07-2013, 02:44 PM
Thank you again! I'll let you all know once I've got my first mindee:cool:
I'll stop worrying and enjoy the summer hol first:D

Petshrinklj
12-07-2013, 03:57 PM
Hope you get more enquiries very soon Hun.