PDA

View Full Version : How young is too young

sprinkles
11-07-2013, 09:48 AM
For potty training?

I had an enquiry last week which I'm glad I couldn't take on as mum has just put on Facebook that she is potty training her son who is 15 months old?! Is it just me who thinks this is far too young? He probably doesn't even know when he needs to go to the toilet.

Mum of 2 year old I have starting in August is going to try potty training before she starts with me but I've told her if it doesn't work first time then just leave her for a while - she will soon let mum know when she is ready.

I'm totally bamboozled by this comment by mum of 15 month old!

FizzWizz
11-07-2013, 10:22 AM
I know all children are different but I am sure I read somewhere that children don't really have full control or awareness of needing toilet to about 18 months.

supermumy
11-07-2013, 10:25 AM
My 4 girls was potty trained by 16, 18, 19, and 17 months
It's down to the child not the parent they will only do it if they want to but general understanding of words saying wee or poo from an early age along with a potty in the room does help :)

bunyip
11-07-2013, 10:30 AM
There are no hard and fast rules - much depends on the individual. The problem with saying that to a parent is that 99% of mums think their little darling is a child genius (it's genetic, of course:rolleyes:) hence you get them wanting to try too early.

Most children seem to be ready between 2 and 3 years. They need the communication skills to tell you they need the potty, as well as the awareness of the urge to 'go'. It helps if they're staying dry in their nappies for a while too. One tip I tried (and seemed to work) is that thy aren't usually physically ready before they can walk upstairs 'adult style' - one foot on each step. No idea what the connection is, and maybe just a coincidence, but it workd for the last couple I had to put through toilet boot camp.

One key point is to ensure they're working as hard on this at home as you are. I've heard of parents who undermine toilet training by thinking they pay their CM to do that sort of thing, and shove the nappy back on the moment lo is home. Parents are less likely to persist with a failed attempt if their sofa is getting wet as well as yours. :rolleyes:

Samijanec
11-07-2013, 10:33 AM
My eldest was potty trained at 14 months, my second was two, third was 18 months, same with fourth and fifth. They all took to it really well and I never pushed, they just were ready. Every child is different and ever parent does things to suit them.

sprinkles
11-07-2013, 10:49 AM
One key point is to ensure they're working as hard on this at home as you are. I've heard of parents who undermine toilet training by thinking they pay their CM to do that sort of thing, and shove the nappy back on the moment lo is home. Parents are less likely to persist with a failed attempt if their sofa is getting wet as well as yours. :rolleyes:

I totally agree with this!! The mum of said little one starting in August said she would try and do it over the summer before little one starts to save me doing it....ehh don't think so - I am not here to potty train your child! I will assist but not unless they have spent at least a week (preferably two at least) at home with child potty training.

I'm a tad confused because from the comment of the mum of 15 month old it would seem she's doing them both at same time (she has a 2 year old too). Surely that's biting off more than you can chew?? One is hard enough without trying to do two at once?!

Supernanny86
11-07-2013, 10:55 AM
There are no hard and fast rules - much depends on the individual. The problem with saying that to a parent is that 99% of mums think their little darling is a child genius (it's genetic, of course:rolleyes:) hence you get them wanting to try too early.

Most children seem to be ready between 2 and 3 years. They need the communication skills to tell you they need the potty, as well as the awareness of the urge to 'go'. It helps if they're staying dry in their nappies for a while too. One tip I tried (and seemed to work) is that thy aren't usually physically ready before they can walk upstairs 'adult style' - one foot on each step. No idea what the connection is, and maybe just a coincidence, but it workd for the last couple I had to put through toilet boot camp.

I've heard about walking up the stairs like that too! I've told lo mum that too. Think it's got something to do with the connections all been formed or wired so to speak! Seems to work! Their mum took off the nappy in the garden the other day and then said she was shocked to find one of them had pooped all round the garden and trod it everywhere!! I wanted to laugh and say told you so!! Lol! Mayb now she will listen :)

maisiemog
11-07-2013, 11:44 AM
I'm a heartless childminder in that I will support the parent whenever they want to try but after two accidents they get put in a pull up! I don't want wee all over my house or the smell of it! I've had one child who was started at 19mths and it failed. He eventually got it at just before his 3rd birthday!!!

My own DD got the potty out at just turned two and did a poo on it and so we started. Within two weeks she had it sorted...we had wanted to wait until after our holiday to do it but glad we did it when she wanted to!

serin
11-07-2013, 11:55 AM
My boy seemed ready that early and the only reason I havent done it yet is because I need to be stuck at home for a week and be consistent with it and I currently dont have the time.

bindy
11-07-2013, 12:42 PM
My nephew was trained at 16 months but he lived in Barbados and ran a round naked most of the time.

tulip0803
11-07-2013, 12:44 PM
I'm a tad confused because from the comment of the mum of 15 month old it would seem she's doing them both at same time (she has a 2 year old too). Surely that's biting off more than you can chew?? One is hard enough without trying to do two at once?!

My friend had 2 girls and when she potty trained the eldest at just over 2 the youngest (11 months younger) did it too. She was obviously ready and was copying older sister.

migimoo
11-07-2013, 03:26 PM
A friend of mine potty trained her little girl from 9 months old....The Baby Whisperer was her bible.:panic:

natalieatk
11-07-2013, 05:57 PM
My daughter was dry before her 2nd birthday but age could speak clearly and could til me when she needed to go!

Hate it when parent try to train theirs when cleaely not ready! I have a 2 year old who mam keeps saying I'm guna train its time he tell me when he's poohed - my response is he poohs - I smell it - and ask have you poohed and he says yes! That's not a sign he's ready !!

Mrs Scrubbit
11-07-2013, 10:37 PM
I have a 16 mth who asks for the potty ....and she knows what to do on it! x

natalieatk
12-07-2013, 09:49 AM
I have a 16 mth who asks for the potty ....and she knows what to do on it! x

I would let her if she's ready! Can only try!!

hectors house
12-07-2013, 12:04 PM

I have heard that walking upstairs one foot to a step is in indication that they are ready - I was hoping bunyip that you would have the theory behind that one!

bunyip
12-07-2013, 12:40 PM
I have heard that walking upstairs one foot to a step is in indication that they are ready - I was hoping bunyip that you would have the theory behind that one!

The logical explanation is they can ascend the stairs and reach the bathroom in time. However, this hypothesis does not stand up to empirical analysis because:

1. My bathroom is downstairs. :doh:

2. I still pee my pants. :blush:

:p