PDA

View Full Version : Assistants!

Nicola Carlyle
11-07-2013, 09:18 AM
Anyone every had a parent refuse to give permission for their child to be looked after by an assistant or state that under any circumstances must not be allowed to work with their child? Parents reason is that they just don't like the assistant! Is this a proper reason? All advice greatly welcomed.

charlottenash
11-07-2013, 09:24 AM
I wouldn't take them on as a parent to be hi eat how are you meant to keep them apart

Bumble Beez
11-07-2013, 09:27 AM
Never happened when I was working with assistants however I think I would have to turn the family away and we always worked very closely together with the children and it would've caused too many problems...
I'm back to working by myself now tho so if they don't like me, they go somewhere else lol!!

Sarah x

Nicola Carlyle
11-07-2013, 10:12 AM
Said child has been with me for 8 months. This is a new assistant that mum knows outside of minding and said that her and husband wouldn't be happy with her working alongside me at all while their child is her because they just don't like her! End of story. As it turns out I don't actually need my assistant here when I have their child but I would like permission signed from everyone so they all get to know her and in case if emergencies. But mum keeps saying no. Not sure what to do.

FussyElmo
11-07-2013, 10:34 AM
Tricky one the mum chose you as their childminder not you and this assistant. If she feels that strongly she probably wouldn't have signed in the first place.

There's 2 choices really

1) You respect their decision and not have the assistant look after their child
2) You give notice.

loocyloo
11-07-2013, 10:35 AM
Hmm tricky.

I would explain that having an assistant is your decision and enables you to care for ALL children, and you can't say that the assistant will not be there when the child is. The assistant might not be working when child is there at the moment, but children might change days and assistant might be needed.

When I had an assistant I made sure parents understood it was my business decision and that I made it, not them. I had a mum who didn't like me having any assistants so I eventually said that I wouldn't be able to have the child that day... mum soon came round!

Good luck x

supermumy
11-07-2013, 10:43 AM
Tricky one the mum chose you as their childminder not you and this assistant. If she feels that strongly she probably wouldn't have signed in the first place.

There's 2 choices really

1) You respect their decision and not have the assistant look after their child
2) You give notice.

Agree with above
Parents must have reason!

EmmaReed84
11-07-2013, 11:53 AM
OK, so I my son started at playschool, then another boy started at playschool, he was the son of a girl I knew when DH and I first got together. She spread the most disgusting untrue rumours about me saying I had slept with 8 guys in 2 weeks, that I was a slag, dirty, I was a cheat... everything... All of it was lies!

That was about 8 years ago. When she was at the playschool I didn't really speak to her, but then she started helping out and one day my son came home and started talking about Auntie XXX... I felt sick, I didn't want that vile spiteful woman near my child, I disliked her with a passion... But, my son really liked her... As hard as it was, my issue with her was MY ISSUE, not my child's issue and it would have been unfair to carry on a feud through my son.

Perhaps talk to the parent and explain that it is your business and you livelihood, try to show some empathy and work with the parent to a degree, but see if you could reach a compromise.