PDA

View Full Version : Visit from Foundation teacher

JCrakers
11-07-2013, 08:42 AM
Morning All,

I have a visit from the foundation teacher this morning. She's coming to see my 4yr old mindee who is starting school. It's really nice that they have found the time to come and visit just 1 child. I wrote to them in June offering them a visit with little ones transition report. . :D
Saying that though the preschool down the road only had 3 there when she visited.

I'm feeling a bit nervous, don't know why!
I'm going to be in Ofsted good books, might get a sneaky picture of her to show the inspector :thumbsup: :D

hectors house
11-07-2013, 10:43 AM
Well done for inviting her - hope it goes well, do the reception teachers in that school always visit at nursery or at home? I have got one going to school Sept he has been in for a couple of afternoons with his mum/dad and had 3/4 hour without his parents in his new classroom with teacher - doesn't really seem very much, luckily he has a sister at the school so isn't at all worried but for some children it must be a HUGE step. Seems along time ago mine were doing settling in sessions, but sure they went for 3 or 4 afternoons in June/July.

charlottenash
11-07-2013, 12:00 PM
My son had had 1 hour at new school whilst we had welcome meeting in another room and 1 and 1/2 hours today alone. That's it!!!!

He seems fine so I'm not too worried but I'm sure others must be.

rickysmiths
11-07-2013, 12:02 PM
I am surprised they usually want to visit the child's home and meet with the parents.

Despite Ofsted I would never invite a teacher to visit a child here there are some things that the parents should be doing and not me.

The Juggler
11-07-2013, 12:33 PM
how lovely that that school/teacher have enough time to make these visits. :)

bindy
11-07-2013, 12:33 PM
Yes, parents should have the visit. All my nephews and nieces had their visit in their own home, the reason behind the visits in the first place, to see how home life is etc.

bindy
11-07-2013, 12:37 PM
how lovely that that school/teacher have enough time to make these visits. :)

Don't know if they have enough time. My friend a reception teacher would rather not do home visits but she has no choice in the matter!

maisiemog
11-07-2013, 12:42 PM
My dd won't have met her teacher when she starts in Sept. they don't do home visits, and all three open afternoons were while we were on holiday. I've pointed her out to her in the playground but that's it. I'm not sure i would want a home visit tbh! It's bad enough my house going under the scrutiny of parents and ofsted without adding in a teacher as well!!!

The Juggler
11-07-2013, 12:45 PM
Don't know if they have enough time. My friend a reception teacher would rather not do home visits but she has no choice in the matter!

i know teachers are pushed for time but I think home visits are essential for these young children. I just meant that a visit to the child's previous setting as well is showing very good transition processes - I know it makes more work for the teachers though. :panic: Possibly the child will have a home visit in September also?

bindy
11-07-2013, 12:48 PM
My dd won't have met her teacher when she starts in Sept. they don't do home visits, and all three open afternoons were while we were on holiday. I've pointed her out to her in the playground but that's it. I'm not sure i would want a home visit tbh! It's bad enough my house going under the scrutiny of parents and ofsted without adding in a teacher as well!!!

I am surprised your school don't do home visits. I thought it was something the last government brought in and schools had to do them. My child does not start school until next year but saying that she will go to a free school so hoping they do not do them. Does your child go to a free school?

maisiemog
11-07-2013, 12:50 PM
No it's a normal primary! They've never done them And this year she's the first year that will be a three class intake as well so I don't know if they would fit them all in!

bindy
11-07-2013, 12:57 PM
No it's a normal primary! They've never done them And this year she's the first year that will be a three class intake as well so I don't know if they would fit them all in!

I know plenty of school that do home visits and have 3 in-takes, the teachers only stay a few minutes( waste of time if you ask me) you are not missing much, why would you want a teacher having a nosey! Lol

Rubybubbles
11-07-2013, 03:00 PM
Both of my children had home visits and they are now 11&8 so not new. I think it's lovely idea, if I had a child full time or long hours I would welcome them into my home after all we are a important part of their transition

karen m
11-07-2013, 03:14 PM
I have only heard of them visiting the child's home although when it was my grandson I was invite to be there as I would be collecting him twice a week. Have never been asked and would not agree to it in my home for mindees as other have said think that is for the parents

karensmart4
11-07-2013, 07:05 PM
We feed to 3 Infant schools and only 1 is interested in transition reports and that one has always done setting visits including to cm's... they also have 4 induction days where either the parents can go along too or the setting can go (play based), plus they have 2 parent introductory evenings, one to look around the entire school with their child and take part in a school fayre the other one to talk about how best to prepare your child for school and to order their uniform. We have a really good partnership going.... shame the other schools aren't the same :panic:

teacakepenguin
11-07-2013, 08:27 PM
No homevisits here, considering when my 3 older kids started school I was pregnant or with a small child it seemed most the time I'd have been horrified! The reception teacher tries to visit most children before in their various settings. My sister's 20 mins up the road tho and she got a home visit (which is fine, as she keeps her house tidy!)

bindy
11-07-2013, 09:15 PM
Both of my children had home visits and they are now 11&8 so not new. I think it's lovely idea, if I had a child full time or long hours I would welcome them into my home after all we are a important part of their transition

Yes but it only happens the first time they start school, not every time the kids get a new teacher( every year), who will also be spending long hours with your child.