PDA

View Full Version : I hate Sports Day!

Mummits
11-07-2013, 06:53 AM
There - I have said it!

My eldest son called this the day that spoils the summer.

I wouldn't go quite that far, but I do grind my teeth when people tell me how marvellous it all is.

My children are not sporty. For them it is an annual reminder of the fact that they never win a race of any sort. It usually ends in tears.

Added to that, I cannot take a day off as all my parents are teachers, so I will have to do my best to entertain and distract three grumpy toddlers who don't want to be there either, all under the critical eyes of their parents, albeit at a distance (not to mention the critical eyes of other parents who will doubtless raise their eyebrows and tut at every whinge and whine). Oh and then there are the ice cream vans, candy floss vans and popcorn machines all over the school field to add to the whinge=factor.

Roll on the weekend.

mama2three
11-07-2013, 07:38 AM
I think sports day is really important for the children , sporty and not sporty.
The more academic children get so many chances to shine through the school year , and its lovely to see the smile on the faces of those whose strength is physical rather than mental.
The school should be doing more to help all children enjoy and be part of the day perhaps , and to help all the children see the value in others regardless of whether they are a whizz at maths , or can throw a ball really far...

loocyloo
11-07-2013, 08:15 AM
I never enjoyed sports day as a child, but my children love it!

scottishlass
11-07-2013, 08:16 AM
My kids usually love sports day but they found it boring this year!! Instead of the usual sack race and spoon race etc it was a very tame sports day similar to the nursery one here were no-one wins any races and everyone has a turn one by one! Can see why they thought it would be a good idea but the kids were bored and it was all a bit patronising xx

Roseolivia
11-07-2013, 08:19 AM
Rose had her sports day yesterday. It's all fun, Rose won a couple of races which I was surprised at and pleased. Our school does it in colour teams so all the kids cheer for the ones in their colour group. I took 2 nearly 3yr old and they were fine, I took little chairs and drinks, snacks for them.

Samijanec
11-07-2013, 08:20 AM
I think sports day is fab, win or lose its all about taking part and having fun. My kids never won but he loved it none the less.

Nicola Carlyle
11-07-2013, 08:57 AM
I used to love sports day as a child. Really looked forward to it but I'm afraid I think it's pointless now with more schools "going through the motions" and instead if actually encouraging children especially the physical ones to excel its a case of everyone's a winner!!!! So many vents take place throughout the school year for academic excellence and children are praised beyond belief for it yet in our school when it comes to sports day it's all a bit of a farce! They all race (take part in different activities) in team colours. The only time there is any atmosphere is when they do individual races at the very end and they all cheer each other on and it's great. No one gets anything for winning their race and indict the winning team get nothing for winning either other than a pat on the back. The whole school gets an ice lolly when it's finished. I think children of ALL disciplines should be allowed to shine. I went to sports day this year to see all my older mindees as well as my daughter and took 4 little ones with me aged 1,2,3,3. All of thm behaved really well and yes my own 2 year old decided she would run through one if the races to which everyone thought was funny. I do live right next to the school field so we could come home pretty quickly if it wasn't everyone's cup of tea. X

Twinkling Stars
11-07-2013, 08:59 AM
I hated sports day and don't really want to go to my DD next week. I also find it pointness and refused to take part when i was a child!

supermumy
11-07-2013, 09:09 AM
I loved sports day as a child and my kids love it but it isnt how it used to be and seems so muh rushed and cant do this cos health safety which is a shame
however as a adult I hate going with the ignorant parents that turn up late stand right in front of you block your view etc
But the dads race this year was funny so competitive they all tripped up over each other fell on floor one even ripped his suit so funny

karen m
11-07-2013, 09:43 AM
I was never sporty but 2 of my 4 children were and like someone else academic children shine all year . It is about teaching children to join in take part and yes nice to win but children have to learn we can't win everything