PDA

View Full Version : this is a weird one

kims kingdom
10-07-2013, 06:54 PM
So after my last post thank god mum was ok in end bout tonsillits.
Anyway ive noticed that the same mindee doesnt seem excited when mum comes and today even cryed when I gave him to mum does anyone else think this is weird has he hasnt seen mum all day you think he would be pleased but I don't know is it just me but do other children act like this??

Samijanec
10-07-2013, 06:56 PM
I've got two that do this, they scream at the thought of going home. It would break my heart if one of mine do this...

kims kingdom
10-07-2013, 07:01 PM
I've got two that do this, they scream at the thought of going home. It would break my heart if one of mine do this...

Yes it would me to,,
Do u think its anything to be concern about

Samijanec
10-07-2013, 07:03 PM
I don't think so, both of mine are only children so once they go home it's just them and mum..

Twinkling Stars
10-07-2013, 07:15 PM
I have a baby that does this but he just really likes my garden and doesnt have one at home! X

skatie
10-07-2013, 07:18 PM
From the other side of the fence, many years ago when my first ds went to a childminder mornings only I would collect him at 2 and I can remember many days when he would cry or scream and hold his hands out for his childminder. Heartbreaking!! But he was an only child and didn't want to miss out on being with his little buddies and playing instead he had to go home with boring old mum who would then log onto the computer and carry on working. Although I was ver hurt and slightly jealous of my son/childminder relationship (he asked if he could live with her once :-(). I was so happy that my son spent his day with someone he loved and who loved him back. I wouldn't judge too quickly on the situation unless you see other signs that worry you,

Becci26
10-07-2013, 07:22 PM
It's quite common I think, lots of little ones have so much fun with their cm they don't want to leave, take it as a compliment!

If its bothering mum (which if anything that will be where it could be an issue) then look at putting things in place to make the handover as smooth as possible. Such as, pre warn mindee 10/5 mins before mums here that she's coming. Have mindee ready at the door with bag etc.

ktdg85
10-07-2013, 07:22 PM
I wouldn't be overly concerned, children like to play with their friends and may not get the time and attention at home that we are able to give them. Just keep your eye out for anything else just to be on the safe side though.

Stapleton83
10-07-2013, 07:45 PM
I would agree with the other comments in terms of don't worry about it, one of my LOs didn't want to go with dad when he picked him up last week! I was ready for it and just said come along, picked him up and took him out to the car. (Only my DDs left in the house by then)

Sam x

kims kingdom
10-07-2013, 08:03 PM
Thanks everyone and yes actually he is an only child so that might be reason plus did get told by dad that we are not picking him up unless need to which iam doing at mine but sometimes its easier to pick him up plus his so cute and my to are to big to be picked up anymore so its more I enjoy it than anything else don't get me wrong I do tell him no which he doesnt like at min but thanks for advice forum peps.
Mum doesnt seem to worried so ill leave it unless mum brings it up .

Kiddleywinks
10-07-2013, 08:05 PM
I had a mindee (2) that was playing up for Dad one morning, tears and tantrums, the full works.
In desperation he said 'You're going to Auntie Kiddleywinks!' and LO stopped crying and was all smiles, poor Dad.

Tried reassuring him it was probably a fluke, but yes, my head did swell a little bit :blush:

caz3007
10-07-2013, 09:18 PM
I have had this on several occasions.

I even had one family that I had their two children just one day a week as mummy was lucky to work from home, but had to travel to London for onsite visits and meetings. She used to use me as a threatened punishment, if you dont behave you wont be going to Caz's house

Anacrusis
11-07-2013, 05:54 AM
My mindees do this too and I think it's usually more about the transition than not wanting parents. I let parents come in at pick up for a bit if they want (I finish at 3.30/4.30 ) and that helps. I think sometimes the parent arriving means whatever they're in the middle of has to stop and that's what they get upset about.

Having said that I have one child who almost always very reluctant to go/cross to see parents & this is the child who appears to get less attention at home but of course gets loads here.

FizzWizz
11-07-2013, 05:59 AM
Both of my Mindees quite often do this. I don't think of it as any reflection on their relationship with parents but more than they are having fun playing and don't want to stop to have to go home where there are no other children. The mums don't seem too bothered and just comment that their children are having too much fun which I take as a compliment :-)

Bumble Beez
11-07-2013, 06:37 AM
I have a babe who does this...mum feels that it shows that she's settled here and would rather her be like that than cry when left.
I've also got a four yr old who ditches her mum in the playground as soon as she sees me, even tho its not my day to care for her, and walks into nursery with me with mum following behind :( I do worry that parents feel I'm taking over sometimes however this particular family came to be following a bad experience with a childminder so is happy that little one is VERY settled lol!

On the flip side...my boys would break my heart if they did that when I arrived to collect :'(

Sarah x

Rubybaby
11-07-2013, 09:14 AM
Try not to worry too much..both my own kids used to do this when they were minded, and my own mindees frequently created a fuss (sometimes major!) about not wanting to go home.
With the younger ones, I think it's a mixture of relief on seeing parents, tiredness , and reluctance to stop playing ...:feelings not easily expressed equals screaming fit! I was always a bit embarrassed when they did this, and never sure whether or not to intervene...especially if a full blown tantrum followed! x

JCrakers
11-07-2013, 10:34 AM
Most of mine dont want to go home at the end of the day. The older ones moan and hide. My 18m old sees her mum and runs the other way...lol
last night my 11m old screamed because he wanted to go back outside and play.....he was having so much fun. Mum was so pleased to see him happy.

Id rather have them wanting to stay than screaming to not stay.

I would be happy to see my own child happy and not wanting to come home. My own two children used to love pre-school which was so reassuring for me as a parent and I think all the parents see it like that :D