PDA

View Full Version : Please help i'm going to scream!!

squeely wheely
10-07-2013, 06:27 PM
I look after a lovely three year old girl, she's quite shy and I think mum and dad are a bit strict with her, but what can you do..... Thing is she wants to know where I am going and what I am doing at all times. If I move she asks "where are you going" if I have a drink she asks "what are you doing?" even though she can clearly see what I am doing, she will always ask "what's this" pointing to things like a cup or her shoes things she clearly knows. She will ask "Where's the dog" and the dog will be stood right in front of her. At first I was quite patient and explained to her everything, but now it's starting to bug me and I dont want to be rude to her. I just want it to stop being for everything I do and every move I make. I think in some way she just wants to communicate with me but this is the only way at the moment she knows how to get the attention. having said that I'm really upbeat and talk and praise the children all the time when deserved. So I really dont know what to do and might have to lock myself in a padded room to SCREEEEEAAMMM!.

Currently I Just either tell her where I am going or what I am doing. But for things I know she knows I just say "you know that, what is it?" and she laughs shyly and says what it is.

If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them.

Thanks!

supermumy
10-07-2013, 06:34 PM
Sounds like Maybe she is just trying to get to you and come out of her shell and engage in some conversation :)

toddlers896
10-07-2013, 06:35 PM
I was chuckling when I read this as I have a two year old that just keeps repeating my husbands name and it is driving him nuts.we do have a laugh about it. She will say tony and he will say what and she will say tony again and this goes on for ages.eventually he will go upstairs and she will stand at the bottom and shout tony.its really funny.he adores her but it is irritating for him. So unfortunately I can't offer any advice but I sympathise with you xx

AliceK
10-07-2013, 06:40 PM
I have a 4yr old who is the same. He is constantly asking me what seems like pointless questions about nothing in particular, just as you describe. He is an only child and can be quite shy to the point of rudeness to people he doesn't know very well but he's not shy with me as he's been with me for quite a long time now. I can't offer any advice I think it's just a phase, hopefully :)

xxx

Samijanec
10-07-2013, 07:02 PM
No advice here other other than I have one of those... :D

skatie
10-07-2013, 07:28 PM
Sounds like my little 3 yo mindee, it's rather exhausting isn't it!! She isn't too bad on asking where I am going but does ask the silliest questions, mostly about things she clearly knows ' what is that/this?' When she knows the answer. So when she asks these questions I ask 'what do you think it is?' . What are you doing? And why? Are another favourite. My LO says 'look at me' about 100 times a day when all she is doing is walking or sitting so its clearly an attention thing. It's just very draining when everyone wants your attention. Sorry no advice other than hopefully she'll grow out of it.... Lets live in hope!

hectors house
10-07-2013, 07:36 PM
Yep have a 3 year old girl like this - sometimes I just reply - what do you think I am doing? - hopefully in a calm questioning voice not at all sarcastic!

Pixie dust
10-07-2013, 07:38 PM
Sounds like my little 3 yo mindee, it's rather exhausting isn't it!! She isn't too bad on asking where I am going but does ask the silliest questions, mostly about things she clearly knows ' what is that/this?' When she knows the answer. So when she asks these questions I ask 'what do you think it is?' . What are you doing? And why? Are another favourite. My LO says 'look at me' about 100 times a day when all she is doing is walking or sitting so its clearly an attention thing. It's just very draining when everyone wants your attention. Sorry no advice other than hopefully she'll grow out of it.... Lets live in hope!

Snap I have one who does exactly the same and I deal with it in the same way as you turning the questions back on to them.

Stapleton83
10-07-2013, 07:49 PM
I have one too, although he doesn't do it quite so much now but he usually knows the answer I did wonder if it was a confidence thing. Now I turn it on its head if I know he knows the answer and ask him what he thinks it is and then praise him when he gets it right!

Sam x

Kiddleywinks
10-07-2013, 08:09 PM
Yup, another one here - constantly!
Terribly draining, and I just throw it back now like Hectors House, where do you think I'm going, what do you think I'm doing etc, although I after a particularly difficult day I did reply with 'there and back to see how far it is' - this then led to a mammoth counting session of steps to see how far there and back was :laughing:

jackie 7
10-07-2013, 08:27 PM
Oh thank goodness I am not alone. Yes I have 1 best thing is she only comes for 3 hours a week. And that is enough. Sorry can't help. Just ask question back. Ok I wanted to say ignore some questions.

Mrs Scrubbit
10-07-2013, 08:40 PM
Me too! Mine is a little girl who is almost 3 and she also asks questions that I know she knows the answer to xx

RachaelStevens
10-07-2013, 08:47 PM
Yup, another one here - constantly!
Terribly draining, and I just throw it back now like Hectors House, where do you think I'm going, what do you think I'm doing etc, although I after a particularly difficult day I did reply with 'there and back to see how far it is' - this then led to a mammoth counting session of steps to see how far there and back was :laughing:

Lol my own daughter would be doing that then telling me how far it was with plenty of attitude

lozzy23
10-07-2013, 09:34 PM
Me too, I have a 4 year old who asks questions she knows the answers to. She also calls out my name and asks me to look at her throughout the day, especially when I am doing something with another child. She will also start whistling or clicking her tongue. All in all she is lovely, but just wants my 100% undivided attention - very difficult with 3 other LO's.

On the positive side my DH and children think I am the most patient person in the world:blush:, as they can only spend a bit of time with her as she will start on them!!

The Juggler
10-07-2013, 09:37 PM
my best tip is reply with a question. I had a child once who would know something but still ask me over and over again. After I told her the first time, I would either say to her "where did I tell you x was?' or just ask her the same question she asked me - she always knew the answer :laughing: if she didn't I would ask her questions to prompt her and she got there in the end. It encourages them to think things through for themselves. :thumbsup:

wendywu
10-07-2013, 10:20 PM
Sorry to upset you but I have a 9.5 year old and he still does it even now. So they don't all grow out of it :D

KatieFS
10-07-2013, 10:22 PM
I try to distract with other questions. Get her to do the talking.

westbrom44
10-07-2013, 10:27 PM
I think it is quite normal and a phase a lot of children go through, like asking why... why... why!

angeldelight
11-07-2013, 12:09 AM
Sorry to upset you but I have a 9.5 year old and he still does it even now. So they don't all grow out of it :D

Yes mine are older and still do it :laughing:

I think she sounds really sweet and inquisitive even if she does already know the answers .

She sounds like my little 3 year old ....if she asks where the dog is ...answer with I'm not sure ,why don't you tell me !
If she points to things she already knows then again you answer her with a question ,you could ask what colour cup are you talking about ...or is the cup big or small if she asks about a cup for example . So that way she is learning too and will have to answer you rather than you do it .

Make it fun

Angel xxx

Anacrusis
11-07-2013, 05:43 AM
My daughter did this at around 3yrs too, sometimes I did the same as other's have posted and would ask her back - "hmm, I wonder what it is" etc. Someties I'd just answer & usually I'd expand a bit about whatever she was asking about. If the questions went on for a long time I'd start to give silly answers - I don't know that that helped but it made it more interesting for me lol - then distract her with something else.

Once we were in a queue at the post office (my daughter was in front of me in a pushchair) and she asked me "what are you doing" hundreds of times. I patiently answered again and again. In the end I said "I'm standing on my head singing nursery rhymes" and she turned round so quickly with a shocked look on her face! In was really funny!!

rollypolly
11-07-2013, 06:11 AM
I have a 3 yr old doing this all the time. I answer the first time but when she asks again a few minutes later, I make it into a game and say ' oh no E forgot to switch her ears on this morning. ( Which always makes her laugh!) Who has their ears switch on today and remembers what I said?' The other mindees love this as they get stickers when they get it right! Slowly the question are getting fewer. Hope it gets better for you soon as its so draining.

Bumble Beez
11-07-2013, 06:25 AM
I agree with other replies...attention seeking and an attempt to communicate with you. She may ask questions like that at home and not get answered if the parents are fairly strict...or she may just be trying to build her confidence by asking questions she thinks she knows the answer to but needs your clarification :D
Patience is one of a childminders most precious assets however it can be tested at times!!

Sarah x

Rubybubbles
11-07-2013, 06:30 AM
I think it is quite normal and a phase a lot of children go through, like asking why... why... why!

Yes it's even in the development matters!

I always say "why do you think..." Or "where I can not see either, can you find it?"

Tiring but normal

bindy
11-07-2013, 06:33 AM
Sounds to me it's normal. I know my 3 year old is the same, I try and take the conversation further, do not give her chance to repeat herself. We end up talking about something completely different and she has forgotten what she first asked! Also I hope it's teaching her to develop her thinking/conversation. It can be annoying if they repeat and repeat, it's like they are stuck and need help to move on!

Koala
11-07-2013, 06:39 AM
I was chuckling when I read this as I have a two year old that just keeps repeating my husbands name and it is driving him nuts.we do have a laugh about it. She will say tony and he will say what and she will say tony again and this goes on for ages.eventually he will go upstairs and she will stand at the bottom and shout tony.its really funny.he adores her but it is irritating for him. So unfortunately I can't offer any advice but I sympathise with you xx

That's so funny, we had a little girl come to us and she kept repeating my sons name, when he wasn't here she would go to the bottom of the stairs and shout up the stairs his name constantly and she did the same when she was at home too. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: He used to hate it, he would look at me, grit his teeth, tell me to tell her to shut up and storm off. :D :D

We have a little boy now who asks us what we are doing all the time when he knows jolly well what we are doing, I just tell him "I'm fishing" and that stumps him! :thumbsup:

natalieatk
11-07-2013, 06:02 PM
I have a 3 year old the same - I think it's the attention she's after so I say 3 more questions - 2 more questions - 1 more question then no more and we can play like normal as soon as someone new is in the house or near me she will leach on to them straight away and talk to them even if its a total stranger - iv tried explaining stranger danger and spoke to parents about it but they just laugh

Samijanec
11-07-2013, 06:57 PM
I have a 3 year old the same - I think it's the attention she's after so I say 3 more questions - 2 more questions - 1 more question then no more and we can play like normal as soon as someone new is in the house or near me she will leach on to them straight away and talk to them even if its a total stranger - iv tried explaining stranger danger and spoke to parents about it but they just laugh

My own three year old will talk to anyone no matter who they are. He has no fear of strangers or older children. I'm constantly telling him about stranger danger but it does no good, I have to keep my eyes on H&M at all times as I know he would just walk off with anyone..

squeely wheely
11-07-2013, 07:45 PM
Thanks everyone for your help. I've been turning the questions back on her today, for example when I know she knows something asking her what it is, and I feel a lot better doing this and she gives me good answers. I think this is the way forward :)

squeely wheely
11-07-2013, 07:46 PM
I try to distract with other questions. Get her to do the talking.

im crying now

squeely wheely
11-07-2013, 07:47 PM
im crying now

oops replied to wrong one. whoever said their 9 year old still does this..... I'm crying about that!

The Juggler
11-07-2013, 08:06 PM
Thanks everyone for your help. I've been turning the questions back on her today, for example when I know she knows something asking her what it is, and I feel a lot better doing this and she gives me good answers. I think this is the way forward :)

it is the way forward hon. you will be supporting her to think for herself and not keep repetitively asking the same questions just to communicate. In time she will instead think to herself 'i know that so I will ask a question I don't know' and so you will be supporting her intellectual development as well as her communication and personal skills. :thumbsup: