PDA

View Full Version : Meals and Hot Weather

Tealady
10-07-2013, 12:22 PM
If you provide meals, what sort of meals do you do in this heat.

I normally do cooked at Lunch (DD with have school dinner) and then light meal at tea time (Sarnies, sausage rolls, toasties, pizza, soup etc)

However DD has been choosing the baguette option at school as not in the mood for a hot tea, and DS and my tea-time twins have had a picnic lunch as it's sports day.

I know all they will want is a sandwich or something cold tonight but I feel like I should offer something more substantial? However I dare say it will get left (thought about pasta but half of them are off pasta at the moment)

Also, should I worry that my DD may not be getting a "proper meal" some days. What she is eating is healthy and balanced, just not a huge variety to it.

maisiemog
10-07-2013, 12:39 PM
We're having cold chicken, salad, new pots and baguette tonight. Last night they had fajitas and salad and if its still nice tomorrow they will be having hotdogs and wedges. My DD is fussy and won't eat a lot and none of them have much of an appetite in this weather which doesn't help! Seem to struggle to find decent meal they will eat and then to get them to eat it!

loocyloo
10-07-2013, 12:52 PM
pasta salad ( all manner of chopped up veggies/salad bits, with either ham/chicken/sausage/fish/tuna/egg etc )

rice salad as above!

cous cous salad as above!

and my favourite - cold green beans, peas & sweetcorn, tuna, olives, butter beans or chickpeas with a bit of French dressing! I could eat that until the cows come home!

cold meat/fish or quiche or pizza, new potatoes and salad

tonight the children requested Spaghetti Bolognese. I quite often still do curry & rice, stirfries, pasta bakes etc and we'll have some salad on the side.

we had Spanish ommlette for lunch today and yesterday they all wanted beans on toast !!!

amirose
10-07-2013, 01:12 PM
Macaroni cheese, ploughmans lunch, fajitas, tacos, quesadillas, nachos, egg noodles with and peas in creamy sauce (I've been using a tin of cram of chicken soup), homemade pizzas (the kids make them), chicken noodles, tuna pasta, potato salads. Mmm I'm hungry now, lol :)

Houlgated
10-07-2013, 01:52 PM
If planned chicken and veg curry and rice last night not even thinking about the weather when I did my meal plan/shop. They ate it all so rewarded with ice cream to cool down afterwards :-)