PDA

View Full Version : 10 year old with Aspergers

Wee Care
10-07-2013, 09:45 AM
I had a call from a lady last night who's son has ADHD and Aspergers and she needs someone to have him 2.5 hours after school two days a week (4-6.30pm). She says his Aspergers isn't too bad but he has trouble forming attachments and trusting people. They are coming for a visit next week when there will be no one else around and the house will be calm. I have experience with ADHD and I have known children with Autism, but not Aspergers. Can anyone give me any advise on how to make him feel welcome and comfortable on his visit and if/when he starts attending my setting. Currently I do not have any other mindees at these times, just my own boys who are 7 and 9 (plus teenage daughters but they hibernate in their rooms most of the time when I am minding).

Thanks in advance,
Nikki

Tazmin68
10-07-2013, 10:03 AM
My oldest son has aspergers and ADHD. He is not hyperactive at all. The main traits with my one is that he has an interest in technology and most children have an interest which is good to focus on. My son has sensory issues with taste and texture of food o worth finding out what child likes to eat. My son cannot eat anything covered in a sauce so no gravy, baked beans etc. if having sandwiches will not have butter on bread likes it plain and dry. He has no empathy and finds it difficult to make friends and has a very literal way of thinking and speaking. For example we talked about who his new teacher might be in September and talked about a mr bond and miss chapman and he told me that she was a different gender.

Feel free to pm if you have any other questions.

Wee Care
10-07-2013, 10:26 AM
Thank you Tamzin, that is very helpful.

I may very well come back to you after they visit with more questions (if not before). It is great to know there is someone I can ask advise from who has first hand experience.

Many thanks