PDA

View Full Version : How to help family through loosing family member?

sarahLoose
09-07-2013, 09:31 PM
Hi a little girl I have one day a week is going through a hard time at the moment as her grandfather who she sees three days a week, grandparents help take her to playgroup etc, is dying of cancer. She is also starting the school transition ready for Sept. I have got books out of the library about emotions and starting school and some on pets and grandparents dying but I wondered if anyone knows of any good websites that can help me and the family? The parents are being honest and she is an older 4 in some ways.
Any help appreciated

shortstuff
09-07-2013, 09:36 PM
Hi a little girl I have one day a week is going through a hard time at the moment as her grandfather who she sees three days a week, grandparents help take her to playgroup etc, is dying of cancer. She is also starting the school transition ready for Sept. I have got books out of the library about emotions and starting school and some on pets and grandparents dying but I wondered if anyone knows of any good websites that can help me and the family? The parents are being honest and she is an older 4 in some ways.
Any help appreciated

Im sorry I dont know of any other materials for you, I would say the best thing you can do is just to listen and be there as i am sure you are x i just didnt want to read and run x

sarahLoose
09-07-2013, 09:42 PM
Im sorry I dont know of any other materials for you, I would say the best thing you can do is just to listen and be there as i am sure you are x i just didnt want to read and run x

Thankyou for your reply Gail.

ziggy
09-07-2013, 10:57 PM
my husband died of cancer 6 yrs ago and my dad died of same last July. We were as honest as possible with my own children, grandchildren and mindees both times. One family lost their granny only months after my husband died. We talked quite openly about dying and going to heaven. Obviously this only applies if family believe in this.

I dont know of any websites but I would just say to talk openly when child wants to, explain it is ok to feel sad and as mentioned just be available to listen.

sarahLoose
10-07-2013, 06:26 AM
Thankyou ziggy sorry to hear of your loss. I am wondering if she is a little frightened by her granddad appearance I will.follow her lead if she wants to talk. It's quit hard isn't it? The annoying thing is ive done a bereavement course for children but I worked at a nursery and they have the paperwork from it.

hectors house
10-07-2013, 06:33 AM
How sad for the family and well done to you for trying to address the lose this little girl will feel - I would carry on looking at children's stories that deal with death and encourage the child to talk about her grandad and maybe help her draw pictures of them both doing their favourite things.

shortstuff
10-07-2013, 07:03 AM
If it helps we use the stars rather than heaven as I dont want to lead my son to religion, i would like him to choose for himself. When we do anything which makes us think of either of his grandads (who have both passed) we point up to the sky and tell him they are watching.

It was lovely when we went out for my birthday earlier in the year. He was given a balloon in the TGI's we ate in. When it blew out of the car he said oh look was that balloon grandads favourite colour? when i said yes i think it was he said good because I hve just shared it with him x

ziggy
10-07-2013, 07:42 AM
sorry I should have mentioned to ask parents what they are saying with regard to 'going to heaven' etc