PDA

View Full Version : Activites for a child with autism..

Samijanec
09-07-2013, 08:09 PM
On a Friday during our summer holidays I will be having a seven year old boy with autism and I'm desperate for ideas to entertain him. I've mentioned messy/ sensory play to his mum but he says no as he just tries to eat everything. I did say that I make my own paints/play dough and do on but she really don't seem keen.
Does any one have any other ideas of fun hints we could do?

Petshrinklj
09-07-2013, 08:17 PM
If he likes eating things maybe baking various things. Then he can sample as he bakes :)
Ask mum what he likes doing and maybe offshoot some ideas from that.

Samijanec
09-07-2013, 08:59 PM
Mum just says he likes bricks and trampolines.

teacakepenguin
09-07-2013, 09:20 PM
It's probably a good idea to start with what he likes and take it from there, you'll need to work out what works for you guys.
Jx

VeggieSausage
09-07-2013, 09:48 PM
Each and every child with autism is different and so it will be important to learn what he likes.....if I was you I would suggest to mum that you go to visit them at home and so you can see what he likes to do.....

Petshrinklj
09-07-2013, 10:05 PM
Mum just says he likes bricks and trampolines.

Maybe you could have variations on bricks. Lego bricks, wooden blocks, giant blocks made from card boxes etc.
if he likes jumping on trampoline maybe he'd like giant pat mat. Well I would lol. You just gaffa tape a big sheet of clear plastic sheet stuff with water in it (maybe use coloured water) and its like a pat mat but huge. Here's a link if I didn't explain well.

Go Kid Yourself: Giant Squishy Sensory Bag (http://themommiesmademedoit.blogspot.ca/2012/03/giant-squishy-sensory-bag.html?m=1)

But I agree with others start with what you know he likes and then maybe add some new activities. Goodluck :)

Samijanec
10-07-2013, 06:05 AM
Thanks guys, fingers crossed it goes ok. I will only be having him for the duration of the holidays so it's all good experience.

ceegee
10-07-2013, 07:47 AM
Sounds like he has pica if he eats everything which is common in children with Autism.
My own son has autism and pica and if you don't watch him he likes to scrape his teeth along the woodwork and eat the paint!

Trampolines and bricks are common loves of autistic children.

He might like go line the bricks up (my son does this)
Sensory play, messy play with edible things, water play, the library (often ASD children have a interest in something and enjoy looking at their interest in library books)
It really depends how high / low functioning he is.
My son doesn't like food but loves formula 1. We help him do things by setting him a challenge as he loves challenges - or we say things like - let's go for a run down the beach, I bet jenson button is doing his exercises right now / eating an apple right now!

Good luck :)

PM me if I can be of any help

Samijanec
10-07-2013, 02:05 PM
Sounds like he has pica if he eats everything which is common in children with Autism.
My own son has autism and pica and if you don't watch him he likes to scrape his teeth along the woodwork and eat the paint!

Trampolines and bricks are common loves of autistic children.

He might like go line the bricks up (my son does this)
Sensory play, messy play with edible things, water play, the library (often ASD children have a interest in something and enjoy looking at their interest in library books)
It really depends how high / low functioning he is.
My son doesn't like food but loves formula 1. We help him do things by setting him a challenge as he loves challenges - or we say things like - let's go for a run down the beach, I bet jenson button is doing his exercises right now / eating an apple right now!

Good luck :)

PM me if I can be of any help

Thank you, Friday is my first day with him. I'm a community childminder so this is why I only have him for a Friday and only during the holidays. Apparently he doesn't see danger either, so that should be fun lol. We live very close to the beach so I might give that a try. Mum says he doesn't really engage with other children and jut likes to sit and play by himself.

I'll let you know how Friday goes.

ceegee
10-07-2013, 02:25 PM
My son is the same - plays by himself and doesn't engage with other children.
Although does like alot of 1:1 with adults

We live on the seafront so we are at the beach alot - he has No real concept of danger - when out & about so I have to keep my eyes on him at all times as he does run away

I personally mind 3 children with Autism (not at the same time!!) and find Autism fascinating. All 3 and my son are so very different. 2 of my mindees are non verbal and on the low functioning end.
Hope it goes well for you on Friday :)

Samijanec
10-07-2013, 02:44 PM
You son sounds just like this boy, he needs 1:1 although I will have my son and another mindee. I'm sure it will be fine. Here's hoping any way.

Samijanec
17-07-2013, 01:37 PM
Thought I'd come back and let you know how our first day went.

Mum had told me he loved parks and building with bricks, so I collected him (told his mum what i had planned) and the other children and off with went to the park. My hubby also came along to take care of our own son who's three.

It's the second week of the summer holidays and the park was already very busy. He was not happy so we found shade and sat under a tree and he played with the box of bricks I had with me whilst the other children played in the park.

He seemed happy enough just playing in his own little world. He was very affectionate and craved constant touch and cuddles. He seemed to love throwing bricks into the air and catching them.

He didn't speak at all except for when we went to lunch when he distinctly said "pizza"

Although he was really happy to have constant contact with me if any one else came near us he let out a very loud squeal.
All in all it went well, he smiled at me a few times and seemed really happy, didn't want to leave when it was home time, I will however just bring him home when I have him as I don't think it's fair on the others as I really can't focus on them and him at the same time and the hubby will be at work. At least at home everyone can just play and I don't have to worry that they've wondered off.

I really enjoyed having him and I'm going to let him paint in the garden this week!

oxfordshirecm
17-07-2013, 05:07 PM
I'm so happy that it went well- so scary having a new Mindee start let alone one with additional needs

Samijanec
17-07-2013, 06:18 PM
Thanks, I was really nervous but it went well.. :D

kellyskidz!
17-07-2013, 09:35 PM
Awww so glad it went well for you, must have been a bit daunting!
I was going to suggest edible sensory play, like jelly, angel delight, custard etc in the play tray. Great to squidge about and they're brightly coloured and also smells and tastes yum, sensory exploration= covered!
Have you got light play equipment, like torches, fairy lights or those spinning light up toys that kids get at shows? My kids love it when I shut the curtains and get the 'light box' out and they can see all the different coloured lights, worth a try if you've got them about the house anyway.
He sounds a lovely little boy!xx

Samijanec
18-07-2013, 06:29 AM
Awww so glad it went well for you, must have been a bit daunting!
I was going to suggest edible sensory play, like jelly, angel delight, custard etc in the play tray. Great to squidge about and they're brightly coloured and also smells and tastes yum, sensory exploration= covered!
Have you got light play equipment, like torches, fairy lights or those spinning light up toys that kids get at shows? My kids love it when I shut the curtains and get the 'light box' out and they can see all the different coloured lights, worth a try if you've got them about the house anyway.
He sounds a lovely little boy!xx

He actually was lovely, he's 7 1/2, so I'm just glad he wasn't violent or anything as I'd read that if frustrated children with autism can become aggressive but he was really sweet. I'm certainly going to try the edible sensory stuff. I think he'd love it and I know the others would. I don't have light play stuff ( I did have some it a mindee broke them) to need to get some more.

oxfordshirecm
18-07-2013, 05:41 PM
Sometimes it's not good to read too much on these subjects as every child is different