PDA

View Full Version : Mindees holiday payments

Lorna45
09-07-2013, 07:36 PM
Hi everyone I was wondering if anyone could just give me some advice on wether I should charge half fees when minders are on holiday or no charge

FizzWizz
09-07-2013, 07:39 PM
For each childminder it's personal choice. Whilst I don't charge for my holidays, some childminders do and if mum has signed a contract agreeing to this then I would stick to your guns and charge the agreed rate.

FizzWizz
09-07-2013, 07:40 PM
Just re read your post and I do charge when Mindees are on holiday, again if this is what she has agreed then don't let her make you feel guilty!

blue bear
09-07-2013, 07:41 PM
I charge full fee when mindee is on holiday as it is holding the space, I can't just get another child in to cover their time off, this is my job,my regular income that pays my bills. Indeed to budget frommy annual income if I said nil fee or even half fee there is nothing stopping them getting granny or friend in look after chikd to save money whenever things get tight.

EmmaReed84
09-07-2013, 07:41 PM
Do you mean when THEY are on holiday, or when YOU are on holiday.

To be honest if you mean she doesn't want to pay you when THEY go away, I would be miffed.

However, if you are on about YOUR holiday and it states in your contract it is half fees, then she is legally obliged to go with what is set out in the agreement.

tulip0803
09-07-2013, 08:02 PM
I charge full fee when mindees are on holiday, they are not paying for my time they are paying for a childminding space that is available for them to use. It is their choice not to use the service and to go away on holiday so the fee is still payable. On the other hand I do not charge if my service is not available.

I have only ever had one parent query it and she wanted to move her hours for the week to days before and after she was on holiday and had to have it explained that she could have extra days in addition to the contracted ones but the holiday fee would still stand as I was still available to work.

Lorna45
09-07-2013, 08:08 PM
Do you mean when THEY are on holiday, or when YOU are on holiday.

To be honest if you mean she doesn't want to pay you when THEY go away, I would be miffed.

However, if you are on about YOUR holiday and it states in your contract it is half fees, then she is legally obliged to go with what is set out in the agreement.

I don't charge for my holidays it's their holiday they have gone away for 2 weeks mum said if she must pay half fees for the 2 weeks she will sort it out when she gets back, got a feeling she won't pay but like u say we budget around the money we earn, just the same as they do .

Sent from my iPhone using Childminding Forum

bindy
09-07-2013, 08:12 PM
Most child minds charge full fees. She is doing well paying only half fees. Please do not feel guilty.

EmmaReed84
09-07-2013, 08:13 PM
I don't charge for my holidays it's their holiday they have gone away for 2 weeks mum said if she must pay half fees for the 2 weeks she will sort it out when she gets back, got a feeling she won't pay but like u say we budget around the money we earn, just the same as they do .

Sent from my iPhone using Childminding Forum

I would be reminding the parent before they go that payment MUST be made as per contract and if payment is not made on their arrival you may withhold care, until payment is made. It is HER choice to go away...

Ask her if she would not pay her rent/mortgage for 2 weeks because she is not living in the house for 2 weeks? She has signed a legally binding contract and is bound by the terms set out in the agreement.

The Juggler
09-07-2013, 08:27 PM
I would be reminding the parent before they go that payment MUST be made as per contract and if payment is not made on their arrival you may withhold care, until payment is made. It is HER choice to go away...

Ask her if she would not pay her rent/mortgage for 2 weeks because she is not living in the house for 2 weeks? She has signed a legally binding contract and is bound by the terms set out in the agreement.

I agree with Emma. payment is due when it is due - not when she feels like paying :panic: I would remind her MOST minders charge in full for parent/mindee holidays and that you are a business - you are working when she is away but you cannot fill the space with another child as it's her space. Ask her would she be asking the same of a nursery?

Lorna45
09-07-2013, 08:41 PM
Thanks I feel better about it now and on their return will give her an invoice for payment, I don't feel so guilty now thanks again everyone

Wee Care
10-07-2013, 11:19 AM
Also, she will still be getting paid from her work for her holiday x

maisiemog
10-07-2013, 12:33 PM
I charge when they are on holiday. I have one family on holiday next month and I have a feeling mum expects not to pay! I'm charging her though. It's not my fault they chose to go on holiday then and I'm still available to work! My setting is still open! I will be kind and only charge her half fees even though my contract states full fee is payable!

JCrakers
10-07-2013, 12:44 PM
I charge for their holidays as they are paying for the space not the child :thumbsup:

My holidays are not charged.

karen m
10-07-2013, 12:44 PM
I charge full fees when they are on holiday, ill, or just feel like not bring little one today . I do not charge if I am I'll or unable to work