PDA

View Full Version : settling in period

serin
09-07-2013, 04:53 PM
Hi all,
I have a child starting in September when he will be 12 months. He will be coming 3 days a week 8-5pm. She has asked about the settling in period. How do you all do it. He has got quite clingy to his mum recently. She was thinking to do it over a course of 2 weeks and 2 days each week for about an hour or 2. Should she stay and then go or just give him to me and leave quickly?

Goatgirl
09-07-2013, 05:30 PM
Hi :),
Depends what you both mean when you say 'settling in period'.
From a contractual point of view its the bit on pacey contracts that you fill in to say either party can pull out of the contract in the first however many (usually 4) weeks if its not working out for either party.... I do this if I feel unsure of the family or if they want to build it in to our contract :).
'Settling in' I have never found necessary myself, as I think it is always going to be different anyway when lo comes for very long chunks of time and they usually just adjust gradually over the course of a few weeks. I have offered it for parents' peace of mind, but find that they usually come for a chat, then to do contracts etc and usually bring lo for those visits so I and my setting are familiar enough to them when they start. They know I am 'a nice lady' kinda thing :). I do however ask for lots of info on lo's likes and dislikes, routines at home etc and try to get a good idea of how things are for lo in their usual life before they come to me :thumbsup:

CLL
09-07-2013, 06:04 PM
I offer 2x2hr and 1x4hr session for free before the official settling in period on the contracts. However parents sign contracts in advance of this and pay a months non refundable deposit before I will look after their child. Had one parent who wanted another few sessions which I charged her my hourly rate. I find the sessions are for mums benefit more than the child's and it gets us off to a good start. Parents do not feel as nervous leaving their lo if it is for a shorter time. They can come back and feel reassured their child has been looked after properly.

charlottenash
09-07-2013, 06:09 PM
I had a child whose mum was quite worried about her.

Did:

1 x 1 hr free
2x 2 hr free
2 x half days (paid)
4 x full days (paid)

Although this sounds a lot it was over about 4 weeks and really worked.

We also found saying goodbye is best. Not just disappearing.

:)

The Juggler
09-07-2013, 08:51 PM
i offer 4 hours free to be taken as parent wishes. parent pays for anything over and above that. For a child finding it hard to settle I would always love to advice more settlign in sessions but it's not always possible as usually their return to work date looms and/or they can't take any more time off :(

serin
09-07-2013, 10:03 PM
I have suggested 1 hour x 2 sessions first week and 2 hours x 2 sessions second week. I will wait for her response email to see what she thinks.