PDA

View Full Version : Lack of bedtime routine affects children's learning

Simona
09-07-2013, 12:15 PM
Do you agree?

Toddlers' irregular bedtimes 'hit results at school': Children without a set time aged three achieve lower scores in maths and reading tests at seven | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2358580/Toddlers-irregular-bedtimes-hit-results-school-Children-set-time-aged-achieve-lower-scores-maths-reading-tests-seven.html)

(((Link not working))))

maisiemog
09-07-2013, 12:22 PM
Couldn't agree more! I notice better behaviour in the ones who have a good bedtime routine than those who don't! And my own dd is evil the next day if she has a late night! We've always been strict about bedtime! 7pm and she's in bed! After that its our time!

JCrakers
09-07-2013, 12:24 PM
Yes definitely :D

Not read the article but lack of sleep and not having a good routine definitely affects everyone surely

FizzWizz
09-07-2013, 12:37 PM
Agree totally. I feel totally groggy and can't concentrate if I don't get enough sleep-I'm sure children feel the same?

EmmaReed84
09-07-2013, 01:49 PM
I can tell straight away when mindees arrive if they have had sleep or not. Youngest has a tendency to wake up at stupid o,clock thinking it is play time, then goes back to sleep for a couple more hours before being woken up to come to me. She is such a madam and just the look on her face when I open the door is enough for a... "Oh someone did not get enough sleep last night" followed by a grunting from Mum "Ugh... 3am this mornng, until 4.30am grrrrr!"

When she gets her sleep, she is standing at the door (not being carried) and is all smiles with a "HELLO EMMA!"

My son is the same... if he couldn't get to sleep (he has ADHD so sometimes really struggles and is awake still at 11pm when we go to bed) he is a monster! You smile at him in the morning as he comes downstairs and he cries in your face. Then after the school day I get a frantic look from the teacher as she lets my son out!

So, if anyone ever argues that it does not affect them... come to my house!:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

watgem
09-07-2013, 03:57 PM
Absolutely agree, sleep is a basic need essential for resting and refreshing mind and body, there is also research that suggests lack of sleep may make your body produce more cortisone, leading to high stress levels, just seems like common sense really

shortstuff
09-07-2013, 04:38 PM
lack of sleep has always been an issue, i remember when i was a child i felt awful if we have a late one the night before. Why do parents assume that they can live the life of a child free adult and drag their children to everything. They cant possibly cope like that for any more than the occaisional night like that.

Sorry but i have had enough of children arriving shattered. got a grump on today. maybe i should log out until im in a better mood x