PDA

View Full Version : Breakfast Clubs. Not registered childminder. A few questions

Hollygolightly
08-07-2013, 07:49 PM
Hi. I am starting a Breakfast Club and just looking for a quick bit of advice. First question .. I'll be driving the kids to school, so do you think the booster seats are ok to buy? The type that has no back to it, literally just a seat? I just wondered if anyone knew parents thoughts on those and if most are happy with them? Secondly .. as I am not registered as a childminder as I am only caring for children for less than 2 hours a day, I was just wondering what insurance to take out? Public Liability Insurance? I am just worried I won't be insured as I am not actually registered. Also, do I pay tax and NI on my earnings? I won't earn the taxable amount, but do I still have to declare my earnings? Thanks for any advice given. I have found Children Information Services very unhelpful.xx

blue bear
08-07-2013, 09:06 PM
It is my understanding they are phasing out the manufacturing of booster cushions and concentrating on high back boosters (backs on them that can't be removed) due to safety, soperaonallyas apparent Iwouldnt,decant my child in a high back booster.

All earnings must be declared to hm revenue. Even though you do not intend to register due to the two hour rule you will still be running a self employed business and need to be registered as such and that includes paying national insurance contributions (you can get an exemption certificate if a low earner look it up on the government website)

Be careful with transporting children and fees as you can unwittingly broach onto taxi territory and rules for this are very complicated and expensive.

I have no idea about insuring a non registered child care business have you tried googling?im with Morton michel not sure if they would cover your circumstances but worth contacting them, they're always very helpful.

Stapleton83
08-07-2013, 09:12 PM
Hi

If you go online and type in out of school there are some really helpful websites.

In terms of seats you can find the latest information on HSE I think, re insurance try Morton Michel they have a special policy.

Yes you will definitely need insurance public liability plus employers liability if there is more than just you. You will need to ensure your car is registered for business use as well.

In terms of tax etc go and have a look at HMRC for guidance, but yes you do have to register and declare your earnings even if they are below the taxable amount and if you do not register within a certain period of setting up there used to be a fine I think.

Hope that helps.

Sam

Hollygolightly
09-07-2013, 09:26 PM
Hi

If you go online and type in out of school there are some really helpful websites.

In terms of seats you can find the latest information on HSE I think, re insurance try Morton Michel they have a special policy.

Yes you will definitely need insurance public liability plus employers liability if there is more than just you. You will need to ensure your car is registered for business use as well.

In terms of tax etc go and have a look at HMRC for guidance, but yes you do have to register and declare your earnings even if they are below the taxable amount and if you do not register within a certain period of setting up there used to be a fine I think.

Hope that helps.

Sam

Thanks so much for your replies, I really appreciate your help. x

Chatterbox Childcare
10-07-2013, 07:49 AM
I might be wrong but I thought that you still had to register as a breakfast club because it cannot be a continuous 2 hours a day. Would check it out with Ofsted or whomever does the first intro course.

Never known an insurance company to issue PL without the registration of Ofsted but I may be wrong as their conditions are that "you must comply with regulatory body" - just make sure this isn't a loop hole if you find a company that does

As far as seats go, as a parent, I would want my child secure as per regulations. A booster seat wouldn't be any good for a child under 8 in my opinion as the seatbelt sits in the wrong place on their neck which potentially in a crash could mean paralysis.

hectors house
10-07-2013, 07:56 AM
Never known an insurance company to issue PL without the registration of Ofsted but I may be wrong as their conditions are that "you must comply with regulatory body" - just make sure this isn't a loop hole if you find a company that does

I know Morton Michel does lots of types of insurance for different groups eg: toddler groups and if they don't do one you could ask a local insurance broker to find you insurance for your needs. You can insure anything for a price!